Connector isolation for metal panel
Nov 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
I gotta case i want to use, but it has metal end panels. Im having a hard time finding decent banana binding posts and rca connectors that are isolated, that dont cost $40 shipped for 2 pair. It seems your choices are cheap plastic nut posts, or ubber expensive ones. If no one knows of a good set, is there a normal way to isolate them from the chassis?

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 8
What have you been looking at? Even most modestly priced RCA's and binding posts typically come with shoulder washers for isolating from the chassis.

And why are you dismissing binding posts with plastic nuts? The Superior Electric binding posts are very nice and don't cost a fortune.

se

Nov 12, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 8
Nov 12, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 8
For some reason, neither of those links work for me.

The page you requested is not a functioning page on the Parts Express website.

se

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #6 of 8
The Dayton RCA's are decent (I've used them before) and come with a shoulder washer for isolating from the chassis.

Only drawback is there's no key in them to keep them from turning in the holes. But if you cinch 'em down well, that shouldn't be a problem.

The binding posts look ok. Though again no keying to prevent spinning. That's what I like about the Superior Electric dual binding posts. They have a single plastic piece keyed for the posts which prevent turning.

se

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Here is my favorite insulated RCA connector:
http://www.mouser.com/catalog/specsheets/KC-300008.pdf

They are nickel plated, and do not look like audio candy. Their low mass is not only good for sonics, but makes soldering easier than than fatter ones. I haven't used those Parts Express RCA's for a couple of years, but I had a hard time soldering them without damaging the dielectric. They seem to be mostly for show. Do you really want to send that little signal through a big pile of cheap brass? If you want to get really fancy, consider the Vampire solid copper.

I like the Kobiconn binding posts too. Again, they aren't fancy, but the build quality is considerably better than most of the cheapies out there. My favorite post is the Cardas Patented (CPBP), but like the Vampire jacks, it comes at a much, much steeper price.

BTW, you can get nylon shoulder washers at most decent sized hardware stores. They are more expensive ala carte than buying a jack that already has them, but they are good if you find yourself in a bind.

Paul J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back