connection problem of subwoofer
Jan 8, 2006 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
This is a quick question for subwoofer user. I am new to sub and I just buy a used Rel Q150E. The Rel sub comes with 2 inputs which is Unbalanced RCA (phono) connectors and Neutrik Speakon connector. I want to check the sub is working fine, however, I don't have a Neutrik Speakon cable and I only have a stereo amp. Can someone explain to me how to connect my sub to my stereo amp? How to use the Unbalanced RCA (phono) connectors?

Thanks

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 10
I tried to connect the amp PRE OUT to my sub, however, it is still no sound. Just to make it clear, my amp is for stereo use, therefore it have NO subwoofer output. And the PRE OUT is allowing the amp to be used as a pre-amp.

Jan 8, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 10
You need input from your preamp. The sub is powered.

Jan 8, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Hi, if I only want to test out the subwoofer, what should I do? I only have a normal stereo integrateds amp. And the subwoofer model is Rel Q150E which have a gas-tight Neutrik Speakon input (high level) and a panel-mounted twin phono inputs at 0dB and +12dB (low level). Also, I got a RCA cable from Rel. How do I test out the sub is working or not? I tried to connect the sub from panel-mounted twin phono inputs to my CD player RCA output and the RCA output from my integrated amp pre-amp out, but it still have no sound.
Should I get a Neutrik Speakon cable?

Jan 8, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #6 of 10
Just want to make it clear. For the twin phono inputs, it use normal RCA cable (same as normal RCA interconnect cable which have L & R channel) for connection, is it right?

Jan 8, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan
This is a quick question for subwoofer user. I am new to sub and I just buy a used Rel Q150E. The Rel sub comes with 2 inputs which is Unbalanced RCA (phono) connectors and Neutrik Speakon connector. I want to check the sub is working fine, however, I don't have a Neutrik Speakon cable and I only have a stereo amp. Can someone explain to me how to connect my sub to my stereo amp? How to use the Unbalanced RCA (phono) connectors?

To use RCAs, I believe your amp would need to be equipped with an internal processor (crossover) and an RCA output designed specifically for a subwoofer. [This signal would be low frequencies only, and the volume control on your amp would also control this signal.]

According to RELs web site, you can however use the Speakon connector...

"For audiophile 2-channel applications in particular, REL recommends the use of the high level input from the host system amplifier’s loudspeaker terminals. In this way, a REL sub-bass system receives the same signal and will thus reproduce the same character of bass as the host system’s loudspeakers, albeit at still lower frequencies.

A REL sub-bass system provides the opportunity for true system integration and a means to deliver the added bandwidth required for true high fidelity."

This method would deliver low frequencies via the REL. Your main speakers would however still be full-range, as there would be no processor (crossover) to subtract low frequencies.

This again from RELs website...

"The Neutrik Speakon plug pin configuration is as follows:-
The pins in the Neutrik Speakon plug are numbered 1+, 2+, 1- and 2-

1+ connects to the right hand speaker red terminal at rear of amplifier or speaker
2+ connects to the left hand speaker red terminal at rear of amplifier or speaker
1- or 2- connects to either right or left speaker black terminal at rear of amplifier or speaker"

Good luck.

Jan 8, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #8 of 10
It should be connected to your integrated's pre-amp out for the most painless setup. If you are not getting sound, then something is wrong. Check the power, check the volume. If you want to use the speakon, you'd need to buy a speakon plug and solder your own cables. Or if you've got money to blow, buy a speakon cable and cut one end off, and strip the other end.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
It should be connected to your integrated's pre-amp out for the most painless setup. If you are not getting sound, then something is wrong. Check the power, check the volume. If you want to use the speakon, you'd need to buy a speakon plug and solder your own cables. Or if you've got money to blow, buy a speakon cable and cut one end off, and strip the other end.

Do you have a preamp out? If so, I agree that this options should work.

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncledan
I tried to connect the sub from panel-mounted twin phono inputs to my CD player RCA output and the RCA output from my integrated amp pre-amp out, but it still have no sound.

He says he does here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back