Connecting Vintage Gear
Aug 8, 2010 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mythless

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to set up some old vintage gear with the newer home theater system.  Currently everything is hooked up to the Yamaha RX-V596, but I want to connect my older Pioneer PL-560 turntable (completely mint condition!) as well as my older amplifier, Sony TA-1160 (also very minty condition).  While I know I can connect the Pioneer to the Yamaha via phono.  But, is there anyway to make use of the amp?  In my mind I want to connect the turntable to the Sony amp and the Sony amp to the receiver.  But, I don't think it's possible.

Aug 8, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 7
The only way that makes any sense to use both amplifiers is to use the Sony as a preamp with the TT input looping through the Sony out of some RCA outputs into one of the analog inputs on your Yamaha.

Almost positive it would be unnecessary, but try it if you like.

Otherwise some kind of receiver/speaker switch would be in order.

By the way, are you sure of that model number? I can't find anything at all about it.

Aug 9, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 7
I'll try that out.  If worst comes to worst I'll see if I can pick up some old 3 way speakers and have them separate from the home theater.  Purely vintage setup, hrmmm...

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Is your Sony just a power amp or is it an integrated amp with a volume control, inputs, etc.?

If the Sony is just a power amp, you can connect it to a preamp out on the Yamaha, if it has one.  Then you can hook the turntable to the Yamaha and use it as a preamp for the Sony if it is a power amp.

If the Sony is integrated, you can connect it to a tape loop out or record out on the Yamaha and still run the turntable to the phono stage on the Yamaha.

If the Sony has a phono stage (possible, if it is integrated), you can connect the turntable directly to it.  If the Sony is just a power amp, you will need to feed it from a preamp that has a phono stage.

Aug 11, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Would be surprised if a vintage Sony integrated would not have a phono stage. That would be like a modern receiver not having surround sound.

Aug 14, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 7
I haven't look at the issue as of yet, been quite busy.  But, yes the sony is an integrated amp.  I would have to check the receiver manual about looping out via the tape.  lol, my Dad hear the turntable via the receiver and speakers, he said it sounded too clean, haha, and told me to get vintage speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back