Connecting Two Computers for DSD Playback
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

grigorianvlad

New Head-Fier
Hey, gang. I have a problem. I can use either a VST plugin or a DSD conversion. I need both. I use JRiver MC v28, which is outstanding in all aspects. A few years ago I got hooked on a VST plugin that is very recourse-demanding. The PC where the JRiver+VST installation runs has enough RAM (16GB) and CPU (3.20ghz X 4 core) to either play music with the VST plugin enabled or the JRiver player outputting to DSD, but not both. Let me explain in detail
1) Just JRiver playing as intended - CPU at 5% mostly, RAM 10%. Normal sound. Low CPU.
2) JRiver playing music without the VST plugin, but converting signal to DSD, which is then sent to a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. Normal sound. Slightly elevated CPU.
3) JRiver playing music with the VST plugin and then converting the signal to DSD. Because both are running there is stuttering and all four cores reach 40% each.
The reason I use both is that the VST plugin makes music more close-mic-ed, while the DSD conversion for some reason makes the Mytek sound more analog, if that is possible at all.
Question: how do I keep both and still get rid of the stuttering? Some thoughts:
a) Beefing up or upgrading the PC (15 years old!). Will be costly, dont want that, I just play music on this PC.
b) Somehow connecting this PC to another PC or laptop, one will play (JRiver+VST) the other will transcode to DSD (JRiver alone, Foobar2000 witht the DSD output, etc).
But how do I connect the two PCs? a USB cable? Optical? I dont want to use an audio card because this is output to an external DAC.
c) Buy an external standalone device that will accept a USB signal from my current PC playing JRiver+VST and upsample the digital PCM signal to DSD.
Please let me know your thoughts on b) and c).
Some pics and a video to illustrate what is going on.
Many thanks in advance.

system.png

cpu.pngformat.png

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:36 AM Post #2 of 8
I am assuming you are playing audio files like FLAK, correct?

If so, you are doing allot of digital manipulation. I would check a couple things. Can you adjust latency in the VST program? I use stereotool for EQ'ing and other stuff digitally and runs within my 2 players, MediaMonkey and MusicBee. It has adjustments for latency which gives the cpu more "time" to work. Another thing to look into is what is the DSD conversion doing for you. From some stuff I have read on converting to DSD and why it might sound better, the conversion "kinda" upsamples to higher frequencies. Have you tried outputting in "exclusive" mode and upsampling the output?

Another thing you could explore is using "Virtual Audio Cable". It is a software program that allows you to tie two different stand alone programs together digitally. Run jriver with the vst and then output it thru VAC to your dsd program running alone. The output from the dsd program then feeds your DAC.

Mar 8, 2022 at 1:20 PM Post #7 of 8
1646763196002.png

This is were you find "exclusive" mode in MediaMonkey. Musicbee is similar. I would assume jriver has an overall configuration menu that allows you to adjust the player output. You have to go to your output controls under configuration. I use the wasapi driver. When I click on the driver configuration, you see an option for exclusive, my DAC, and other options. This by-passes Windows media. You can then select your frequency and bit depth if you choose, or it will default to the audio file. So what you see here is the main player app, the main configuration menu, then the output plugin configuration menu.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back