Connecting headphone amp to Scarlett 2i2
Aug 11, 2020 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kahagap

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been browsing around and see Head-Fi to be a good resource to get some specific information around connecting an amp to an audio interface. I haven't been able to find a detailed answer anywhere.

I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (3rd gen) and a Schiit Magni 3 Heresey.

* My goal is to properly power my headphones (Beyerdynamic 770 80ohm) while being able to monitor my voice in real time. The 2i2 can power my headphones by themselves but a good amp makes the sound even better.

I currently have a dual RCA cable going from the back of the Magni 3 amp into the headphone jack of the 2i2. This works. However, I was told that the correct way to connect the amp would be from those same RCA ports on the back of the Magni TO the left/right 1/4 TRS output ports on the back of the 2i2, not its headphone port.

This is where I need guidance. I purchased a dual RCA to dual 1/4 TRS cable and connected them according to the recommendation. It worked but I was picking up some slight background noise once in a while. I noticed that there was only 1 ring on the 1/4 TRS cables instead of 2 rings, making me think that because of this the inputs were not balanced and were causing some noise. Thoughts?

I just want to make sure I'm connecting the amp to the 2i2 the best way possible. Any links to the correct cables would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 6
If you use the headphone jack of the 2i2 and run that into the Magni you are double amping. Not a bad thing, but generally not the best idea for a clean signal.

Taking the TRS out from the back is more in line with how it was designed to drive an external amp. You need to dig around in the manual or online to find out if those are balance outputs or not, but the Magni only accepts unbalanced inputs.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 6
If you use the headphone jack of the 2i2 and run that into the Magni you are double amping. Not a bad thing, but generally not the best idea for a clean signal.

Taking the TRS out from the back is more in line with how it was designed to drive an external amp. You need to dig around in the manual or online to find out if those are balance outputs or not, but the Magni only accepts unbalanced inputs.

Thanks for the comment. So would you say these type of cables are the correct way to connect the Magni 3 Heresy to the 2i2?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DKQR5--pro-co-dkqr-5-5-foot

Also, any recommendations for good cables would be appreciated!

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 6
Aug 11, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #5 of 6
The Scarlett has TRRS balanced outputs so you'll need x2 TRS balanced to XLR female patch cables. You can get those for ~ $15 each on Amazon.

Just type this into the Amazon search bar:
balanced 1/4 to xlr female

Choose the ones with the 1/4 and XLR female, but the 1/4 should have 2 rings not just 1.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #6 of 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Back