Congratulations to Bradley Wiggins 1st British winner of Le Tour !
Jul 22, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #2 of 8
Extrordinary achievement for both the man and for our friends in the U.K. , Nick  ;')

Should be awe inspiring to the U.K. Olympic team 2012 , as well as all ~

- Cheers

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
Extrordinary achievement for both the man and for our friends in the U.K. , Nick  ;')

Should be awe inspiring to the U.K. Olympic team 2012 , as well as all ~

- Cheers

Ah, well geopolitically the UK and Great Britain and the British isles are not quite the same thing. Great Britain is England,Scotland (inc the Shetland Islands)  and Wales (I am half English and half Scottish, though I always call myself English being born there). The United Kingdom adds "Northern Ireland" (North East really) to that mix and the British Isles includes the Isle of Man and the Channel islands (Jersey, Guernsey ) and the republic of Ireland (often referred to simply as Ireland) which is geographically mostly south of NI but with a portion on the north west of the island. Stephen Roche who won the tour in 1987 hailed from Dublin (Republic of Ireland).

As for the Olympics - shrug -- I am passing through London in August but most Londoners already consider the Olympics a massive and costly (http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/365848/20120723/london-2012-olympic-games-hosting-cost-taxpayers.htm) nuisance...

Jul 23, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 8
Ah ha , now I understand more clearly the demarcations and their proper nomenclature(s) ...

My ancestral line is of English origins paternally(Protestant), and half Irish (Roman Catholic)from she . Due to my Sir name I Identify with being English - Hence (I like to say), my genitic internal conflicts ... ;')

Must say, looking forward to the London Games opening , televised here this Friday !

Wonderful lessons to be learned with the televised Olympic Games , IME .

I attended the O' German Games Munich '72 for three ticketed events, and that experience left me with a personal appreciation of THE Games .

Yep, just a week after the terrorist Israeli Team slaughter . Cheap (discounted) tickets , you know ;')
Remember seeing The Bada Mienhoff posters constantly being taken down and, wondering ...

- Cheers, mate

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #6 of 8
......and now Olympic Gold in the Time Trial !

Start the Elgar !

disregard what I said about the olympics being a costly waste of time, they clearly are a superb showcase for the world's greatest sporting talent (*)

* - with the exception of sailing, horsey stuff, synchronized swimming and shooting which are daft sports

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
......and now Olympic Gold in the Time Trial !

Start the Elgar !

disregrad what I said about the olympics being a costly waste of time, they clearly are a superb showcase for the world's greatest sporting talent (*)

* - with the exception of sailing, horsey stuff, synchronized swimming and shooting which are daft sports

Big year for Wiggins, huge year for British cycling, for sure!

Aug 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #8 of 8
Arise Sir Bradley!
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back