Confused Newbie with a Hifiman 801. Help please!!!!
Dec 3, 2011 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

chief justice

New Head-Fier
Ok so I have a new Hifiman 801. I can't even listen to the stinkin' thing because i can't get my music loaded. I have searched these forums and there are numerous threads from 5 years ago that don't seem to explain what I need to do and don't seem to pertain to current software, etc. Here is my situation:

I want to import my cd's.
I want to use only FLAC
I also want to use HD tracks for 24/96 recordings as well.

Here are my problems.

It seems like I need about 8 software programs to do this. You need EAC to convert my cd's to FLAC. I also need to download FLAC software. I also need to then use Media monkey to archive and catalog my music.

I went to the EAC website and it has a "link" that says "get the latest version of EAC here" in red letters but you can't click on it. It also has international versions you can download but they are all foreign language versions. Then there is a link for "GD3". Is this what I am supposed to download? I think I downloaded "FLAC" but not sure.

I have Media Monkey installed but I intentionally deleted my entire iTunes music library so I would be certain to start fresh with only FLAC files to begin with. I haven't even begun to try to import or manage CD's into Media Monkey and or try to download onto my SD cards because I am not even close to worrying about that yet.

I do have the Kingston 32GB version 4 that were recommended, but again is irrelevant until I figure how to get the music into Media Monkey.

BTW, I also seem to be having major issues with the download manager on HD Tracks, but will tackle that issue later.

I apologize for being so obtuse, but all of these threads say things like, "you need to get EAC" like it is a no-brainer but I am about to go crazy and feel like a total idiot.

Can anybody help me? I would be forever grateful. I don't want to give up on great portable music yet.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 3, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Here is the link that the EAC route you to:
http://www.pcwelt.de/news/Exact-Audio-Copy-EAC-International-1524569.html
scroll down a bit and you should see it (the beta version).

I don't actually use EAC to rips CDs, but after installation, things should seem straightforward.

You can also use Foobar to rip CDs too.  Also Foobar can convert between different format quite easily.  If you have all the plugins, it is really easy.  But it seems like you already have a lot of issues downloading EAC so you probably don't want to go this way.

Dec 4, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks! Ok so I now have EAC running. I imported a CD into EAC, and it appears that this did in fact compress the files as it shows the regular size and the compressed size in EAC so I think the FLAC conversion has taken place. I still don't know how to get this into media monkey. I must be missing the obvious here.

Dec 4, 2011 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 7
Yes so complicated to use EAC and media monkey.  I think you can drag and drop to media monkey.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #5 of 7
I tried that and it isn't working. When I first installed Media Monkey it transferred all of my iTunes library automatically. That was easy, but I didn't want the compressed versions intermingled so I deleted my itunes library and re-installed Media Monkey. Now when I bring a CD it goes into EAC and I can see it in EAC but I can't get it into Media Monkey.

Dec 4, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 7
Congrats.  Enjoy using such a nice portable source.  Also this thread should have been in the "Portable Source Gear" section, hence only have me respond to help...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back