Confused and looking for advice
Oct 14, 2021 at 10:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

MisterMoJo

500+ Head-Fier
HI So not really new here, but looking for advice on headphones. I have a computer feeding a yggy via usb which I have hooked up to a gsx mini via balanced blue jeans cables. I have been listening to my LCD 4's with balanced black dragon cable. Sounds good. But I have the upgrade bug. Also my musical tastes have been leaning heavily towards soundtracks which are classical lately. Hans Zimmer, John Williams, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, etc. I don't think the LCD's are really cutting it for classical. And I don't want to drop 4,500 on an LCD 5. I have been looking at the Sennheiser 800 S. I have an old pair of 650's (my first real headphones) and decided to dig them out and listen to see what happens. Well to say I was impressed is an understatement. So I like the Sennheiser "sound" if you will. I just wonder now if I should stick with the 650's or buy the 800 S. I know this is head-fi so upgrade is the default advice. But I am wondering if I will like the 800 S enough to justify the price. I need bass. I am pleased with what I get from the 650 in all areas. I wonder if the bass will be enough on the 800 S to get me going if you know what I mean.
Thanks for reading this long post.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 24
You're pretty much going to have to EQ to get bass out of the 800S. If you're okay with that, go for it, they are great EQed. If you're not willing to EQ I think you will be disappointed by their tuning and should look elsewhere.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 24
OK thanks. Any ideas on what I might enjoy?
That will be an improvement in detail over the LCD-4 and keep their planar bass slam? No idea really. My gear isn't near that good. Maybe something from Abyss, maybe an electrostat setup ...

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 24
That will be an improvement in detail over the LCD-4 and keep their planar bass slam? No idea really. My gear isn't near that good. Maybe something from Abyss, maybe an electrostat setup ...
Thanks for taking the time. Not really sure I'll find what I am looking for... May have to just try the 800 S and see what happens.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 24
OK thanks. Any ideas on what I might enjoy?
Although Sennheiser makes both the HD650 and the HD800, they are very different sounding headphones. If you're looking for wide and deep staging, great imaging, texture and bass too I would look into the ZMF Verite open. Actually the closed would work as well. You lose a bit of staging width vs. the open version but gain more dynamics.

I would avoid the HD800 as bass and texture are virtually non existent.

Oct 17, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #7 of 24
HI So not really new here, but looking for advice on headphones. I have a computer feeding a yggy via usb which I have hooked up to a gsx mini via balanced blue jeans cables. I have been listening to my LCD 4's with balanced black dragon cable. Sounds good. But I have the upgrade bug. Also my musical tastes have been leaning heavily towards soundtracks which are classical lately. Hans Zimmer, John Williams, James Horner, Jerry Goldsmith, etc. I don't think the LCD's are really cutting it for classical. And I don't want to drop 4,500 on an LCD 5. I have been looking at the Sennheiser 800 S. I have an old pair of 650's (my first real headphones) and decided to dig them out and listen to see what happens. Well to say I was impressed is an understatement. So I like the Sennheiser "sound" if you will. I just wonder now if I should stick with the 650's or buy the 800 S. I know this is head-fi so upgrade is the default advice. But I am wondering if I will like the 800 S enough to justify the price. I need bass. I am pleased with what I get from the 650 in all areas. I wonder if the bass will be enough on the 800 S to get me going if you know what I mean.
Thanks for reading this long post.
You could trade in your LCD-4 to Audeze for the LCD-5.

HD650s and 600s scale with better amplification. It may be the GSX mini is just what they've needed all along. New HD600s are currently less than $300 USD on Amazon.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #8 of 24
Although Sennheiser makes both the HD650 and the HD800, they are very different sounding headphones. If you're looking for wide and deep staging, great imaging, texture and bass too I would look into the ZMF Verite open. Actually the closed would work as well. You lose a bit of staging width vs. the open version but gain more dynamics.

I would avoid the HD800 as bass and texture are virtually non existent.
Now you tell me. J/K. I went ahead and ordered a set of HD800 on Thursday and they shipped on Friday IIRC. I may try them and then see for myself. Thanks for the tip on the ZMF Verite open. Wasn't on my radar before but are now.
You could trade in your LCD-4 to Audeze for the LCD-5.

HD650s and 600s scale with better amplification. It may be the GSX mini is just what they've needed all along. New HD600s are currently less than $300 USD on Amazon.
I have heard good things about the LCD 5 and hadn't really considered trading in my LCD 4. Maybe I will reconsider. As far as amplification, I never tried the HD 650 with an amp of the caliber of the GSX Mini. I should be satisfied with 650's but got bit by the upgrade bug bad. It happens. (to me alot.)

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 24
As far as amplification, I never tried the HD 650 with an amp of the caliber of the GSX Mini. I should be satisfied with 650's but got bit by the upgrade bug bad. It happens. (to me alot.)
Both the HD650, the HD800 as well as all proprietary dynamic ZMF headphones all perform their best with a nice OTL amp with upgraded NOS tubes.
The Audeze headphones prefer powerful solid state or SET or 300b tube amps.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #10 of 24
Now you tell me. J/K. I went ahead and ordered a set of HD800 on Thursday and they shipped on Friday IIRC. I may try them and then see for myself. Thanks for the tip on the ZMF Verite open. Wasn't on my radar before but are now.

I have heard good things about the LCD 5 and hadn't really considered trading in my LCD 4. Maybe I will reconsider. As far as amplification, I never tried the HD 650 with an amp of the caliber of the GSX Mini. I should be satisfied with 650's but got bit by the upgrade bug bad. It happens. (to me alot.)
If your ears advise you to stand pat and enjoy the 650’s, you should listen to them. 🤘🏻

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #12 of 24
Yeah its a deep rabbit hole.

Oct 17, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 24
If your ears advise you to stand pat and enjoy the 650’s, you should listen to them. 🤘🏻
Can't argue with that.
Yeah its a deep rabbit hole.
Yup. Hence, "Confused." I guess the issue is I want to upgrade but don't want to spend a lot of money. Maybe trading in the LCD 4 is the way to go. I don't have much time to decide though. I shouldn't need a new amp with the LCD 5, right?

OR just sit tight and not upgrade is another option.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 24
Can't argue with that.

Yup. Hence, "Confused." I guess the issue is I want to upgrade but don't want to spend a lot of money. Maybe trading in the LCD 4 is the way to go. I don't have much time to decide though. I shouldn't need a new amp with the LCD 5, right?

OR just sit tight and not upgrade is another option.
Im not sure what amp you have, but from my understanding the LCD-5 isnt the easiest headphone to drive, but i have no experience with it yet, so take my comments with a couple grains of salt.

Do not underestimate what a good amp can do to a pair of headphones. All high impedance headphones, like your HD650, the incoming HD800 as well as the ZMFs sound totally different when switching from solid state to an OTL with upgraded glass. The staging width and depth is the most noticeable thing, along with the musicality, especially on the HD800 which can sound a bit soul less on a solid state amp.

The problem for you is the Audeze, being a low impedance/low sensitivity planar magnetic headphone and your Sennheisers being high impedance/high sensitivity dynamic driver headphones, prefer different amps to sound their best.

Oct 17, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #15 of 24
Im not sure what amp you have, but from my understanding the LCD-5 isnt the easiest headphone to drive, but i have no experience with it yet, so take my comments with a couple grains of salt.

Do not underestimate what a good amp can do to a pair of headphones. All high impedance headphones, like your HD650, the incoming HD800 as well as the ZMFs sound totally different when switching from solid state to an OTL with upgraded glass. The staging width and depth is the most noticeable thing, along with the musicality, especially on the HD800 which can sound a bit soul less on a solid state amp.

The problem for you is the Audeze, being a low impedance/low sensitivity planar magnetic headphone and your Sennheisers being high impedance/high sensitivity dynamic driver headphones, prefer different amps to sound their best.
I have a Headamp GSX Mini. I usually prefer solid state amps. Maybe I should just return the HD 800 before even opening them and do a lot more research. I tend to rush into these things. I am not knowledgeable about the technical side of headphone listening but know what I like when I see (hear) it. I kinda like what I have going now with the GSX Mini and the HD 650's. They work well for the type of music I listen to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back