Conflicted M-80 owner: cheap spare M-80s vs. DT 1350 vs. (wait for) V-Moda pipeline?
Jun 25, 2013 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

raspiguy

Head-Fier
New here -- tried to figure out where to ask this, couldn't find a relevant thread, and settled on starting a new one. 

Basically, I'm a current M-80 owner (and a proud/extremely happy one at that -- have had them for about 9mos, bought them after finding the "Shoot-out" thread on here) and I need to decide whether to
(A) keep a new "spare" set (still unopened) I recently picked up from a buddy for one bill (crazy), or
(B) if I should try to flip the pair in favor of either (1) the DT 1350s or (2) making do with my current M-80 set and waiting to see if V-Moda comes out with a v2 sometime soon.  Have been thinking about picking up a spare set for some time now and bought-first/thought-second when a great chance came up.

Easiest question -- does anybody know if there's anything in the works / product pipeline at V-Moda for an upgraded M-80 model?  [e.g. A reimplementation with the dual inputs & folding cups found on the M-100.]  I have been noticing a lot of specials lately and am wondering if vendors aren't dumping their M-80 inventory in preparation for an upcoming v2.  Searches don't seem to bring anything up, but thought I'd ask.

Harder question -- what is the general concensus around the community on the logic (or stupidity) of owning more than one set of the exact same model headphone, mostly for convenience?  [Just to be clear, I even mean the exact same color scheme (white pearl is not for me).]  I'm a pretty picky consumer in terms of staying grounded and not shelling out, and also like products that are accessible in the most competitive retail channels.  Hence why I love V-Moda and my M-80 set.

But I'm also highly prone to "sticking with what works", almost to the point that it doesn't make sense sometimes, and now I'm wondering if not diversifying is something I'll regret down the line.  DT1350s have gone all the way down to $226 on Amazon right now (making HD-25s look pretty unappealing @$200), and the time to make up my mind would seem to be right about now.  

If I get them and like them, then I'm worried that I might stop using the M-80 set altogether & relegate them to the corner, effectively adding their cost onto the net tab for the 1350s (much like what happened when I stopped using my original LPs).

If anybody can relate, would appreciate your thoughts.  And if it isn't already obvious from the thread, I'm strictly interested in a smaller, on-ear design.

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #3 of 8
Buy the DT1350, the M100 is the successor of the M80, (I am guessing you don't like the heavier bass) it is unlikely they are going to extend the M line any time soon. 

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Buy the DT1350, the M100 is the successor of the M80, (I am guessing you don't like the heavier bass) it is unlikely they are going to extend the M line any time soon. 

re: "the M100 is the successor of the M80" -- I don't think that that's an accurate statement, if you're trying to imply that just because they're both from the "M-line".  Pretty sure that Val's intent was to upgrade the form factor of the LP2 design and simultaneously leverage the highly-successful sound signature of the M-80 -- mostly as a marketing tool, according to many reviewers that reject the idea that the two models are comparable.  There's still plenty of room to improve upon and upgrade the 40mm-driver, on-ear form factor while simply preserving the existing M-80 sound.  

Either way, if there isn't anything being developed behind the scenes, it would still be nice to hear somebody's opinion on owning 2 M-80 sets.  Even with the low price of the DT1350 down to $226, that still puts them a whopping $100 (≈70%) higher than the recurring Amazon sale price of the V/M-80 that I could always grab later, even if I do flip my unopened set for more right now.  I already know that everybody approves of and loves the DT1350... -- I'm just looking for a little extra insight into either (1) why they're worth it or (2) why the 2nd M-80 set isn't worth it.  

There's got to be somebody else out there that's made a similar decision, or at least given it some thought, right?... 

Jun 30, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 8
1. DT1350 are worth it for the clarity, extension, speed, detail, and simple joy they bring out of music. One of the greatest portables I've heard.

2. You already have a M-80. Why do you need a second one? If you buy the DT1350, you have your M-80 as a spare already.

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 8
Originally Posted by raspiguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Easiest question -- does anybody know if there's anything in the works / product pipeline at V-Moda for an upgraded M-80 model?  [e.g. A reimplementation with the dual inputs & folding cups found on the M-100.]  I have been noticing a lot of specials lately and am wondering if vendors aren't dumping their M-80 inventory in preparation for an upcoming v2.  Searches don't seem to bring anything up, but thought I'd ask.

So the answer to this has come out, and just like I thought 5 months ago, the sales (inventory dumps) were due to V-Moda coming out with an updated M-80 -type on-ear with folding cups & dual-sided hookups called the "XS".  Here are the links to the Head-Fi discussion and to the actual Amazon product pages:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/695104/v-moda-xs-v-moda-m-80s-upgraded-new-v-moda-product-leaked-pictures-and-more

Matte Black
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-On-Ear-Folding-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00GO4GMAI
White Pearl:
http://www.amazon.com/V-MODA-On-Ear-Folding-Noise-Isolating-Headphone/dp/B00GO4GMHQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Couldn't find a page for a Shadow Black color, but hoping they'll come out again, too.  If I don't get a new pair of mid-fi IEMs by the time these are released, I think I'll bite.

Just for the record, I ended up trying out the DT1350 and completely hated them - with an awkwardly-fat (width) earcup, non-collapsing stiff earpad foam, and no clamp whatsoever, a solid seal was basically unobtainable for me and I re-sold them within about a month.  Yes, the SQ was brilliant when I held them to my ears, but no way that was worth holding out for if the comfort experience was so poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back