Concert Impressions: Amon Amarth+Doghouse Gallows, Nov. 12 @ Melkweg Amsterdam
Nov 17, 2009 at 1:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Stitch

500+ Head-Fier
Amon Amarth, one of my favorite metal bands. Powerfull, brutal yet melodic, viking influenced death metal.

Thought it would be fun to do a little concert review. Never done a review at all so bare with me
smily_headphones1.gif

This would be the second time i'd see them, first time was the Full of Hate tour with Obituary, Legion of the Damned and Keep of Kalessin in Patronaat ,Haarlem.
Was a great evening and expected nothing less from the Swedes this time.

The planned support act 'Evile' had some very unfortunate hold up. Their bass player, Mike Alexander, had suddenly fall ill at the start of the tour and passed away at the hospital. Needless to say they werent there.
Rest in Peace and sit among the metalgods Mike!

The support was taken over by Doghouse Gallows. The start was at 20:30, we arived at 20:35 so that was good.
Not so good was the sound. One word, three actualy; Crap, Utter crap. The double bass was all over the place. Guitar was hardly audible and even the guitar leads where hard to distinguish. If the drummer had hold his hands behind his back, i wouldn't have noticed. There was no hi-hat or cymbal that we could hear. Same gos for the toms. The vocals also werent convincing. If that was because of the god-awefull sound or that i didnt like the band that much, not sure.
The band itself could have been much more entertaining if the sound was ok at least. Also It was just not my taste of music.

21:45, after 25 minutes of sound checks Amon Amarth entered the stage. And oh boy it was good.
When the opening song 'Twilight of the Thundergod' kicked in, it was immediately clear the sound was good. Its a great opener.
Free will sacrifice, Persuit of vikings, Hermods ride to hell, Bleed for ancient gods, Varyags of Miklagard, Odin on our side, Runes to my memory, Gods of war arise, Asator, Dragons flight across the waves, Cry of the black birds, Death in fire. This is just a random selection of the songs they played that i can come up with now.
Half way through the set they played 'Valkyries Ride' to honor Mike. A great moment, the crowd became calm for a few minutes. Felt pretty impressive.

The show took about an hour and 45 minutes. Its almost impossible to say a live show is perfect, but they did a damn good job. The interaction with the crowd, the energy, the sound. Very convicing and even better than the previous time.
They got the crowd by the balls from very start and didnt let go until the lights went on.

The morning after; Neck ache, sour throat and a hangover. What else do you want. No bruises though since i didn't visit the moshpit. Next time im up front again
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back