Computer HDMI to receiver HDMI, do I need a DAC also?
Feb 25, 2014 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

framos917

New Head-Fier
I have my laptop loaded with music in a FLAC format. I am working thru how to connect to my  AV receiver to enjoy the music thru that system as well. My laptop has a HDMI connect and the receiver has multiple HDMI connects, is it as simple as connecting the laptop and receiver with an HDMI cable? Am I thinking thru that correctly? If so, will I also need a DAC somewhere in that path?

Currently I largely listen to music using laptop, Asus USB u3 DAC, fiio e11, and headphones. I would like to expand the availability of my 100gb flac music library.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #2 of 3
The receiver has it's own DAC. So no. You don't need a separate DAC. You might need to change and configure the Windows sound settings for the HDMI connection, Might not be automatic.

Feb 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 3
The receiver has it's own DAC. So no. You don't need a separate DAC. You might need to change and configure the Windows sound settings for the HDMI connection, Might not be automatic.

Thanks, most helpful. I did not want to get another hdmi to hdmi cable if I was going in the wrong direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back