Completely Mechanical DAC.
May 7, 2011 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Xaborus

100+ Head-Fier
You guys thinking what im thinking?

May 7, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 5
what interests me most is how this is considered an analog conversion. It is indeed a very ingenious system, but resulting 'signal'  does not seem analog to me. The steps of the blue bar are still discrete and it cannot take on any values in between the stepsize. I thought the point of an analog conversion was to turn a digital signal back into an analog signal, this would mean you somehow have to store the information about the waveform in the bits, and recreate a signal with an infinitely small stepsize (or continous if you will).

May 8, 2011 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
what interests me most is how this is considered an analog conversion. It is indeed a very ingenious system, but resulting 'signal'  does not seem analog to me. The steps of the blue bar are still discrete and it cannot take on any values in between the stepsize. I thought the point of an analog conversion was to turn a digital signal back into an analog signal, this would mean you somehow have to store the information about the waveform in the bits, and recreate a signal with an infinitely small stepsize (or continous if you will).

The output of the a DAC doesn't make "jumps", there are no steps, or in mathematical terms, it's at least a C1 function, all of this is nicely taken care of by a lowpass filter. The "steps representation" a an erroneous one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back