Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Nov 27, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,716 of 4,373
Well, I was going to add the Blue Mo-Fi's to my listing here, but in the end, I think I'll just put in a link to my review and not put it in the comparison charts. They're just too big and heavy for me to consider them for "portable" headphones for on the go. 

In case anyone is interested, here's a link:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/blue-microphones-mo-fi-powered-high-fidelity-headphones-with-integrated-audiophile-amplifier/reviews/12030

Dec 5, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,718 of 4,373
I just fell in love with the B&O H6 at a local store.  I was just curious and figured I would just listen to them for a bit to prove to myself that buying the P7 was indeed the correct choice.  Well to make a long story short I need a pair of these.  They sound so naturally spacious and the bass is  intoxicating.  On jazz tracks it was a pleasure to listen the upright bass dance with the piano and drums  And what comfort!  Curiosity is going to kill my wallet!  I hope I can find a sale on these to give them a proper comparison against my P7's.  

Dec 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #2,719 of 4,373
Awesome thread!

I went to a Best Buy Magnolia today to buy some headphones for my commute and ending up buying a P7. Here are my brief impressions of the headphones I demoed at the store, playing 320 kbps mp3s through Neutron on my LG G2. YMMV.

AKG K550 -- I went into the store wanting to like these, but the glaring, congested upper midrange/ lower treble ruined it for me. Otherwise, they were decent. The bass was definitely above neutral, but it was extended, punchy, and kept the midbass in control. I did not find the soundstage to be particularly remarkable--it was on the large side for a closed headphone but the size is wasted because it sounds congested and flat. Isolation was meh. The build was better than I was expecting, especially the metal headband I never noticed in pictures, but they are still about half plastic. Very solid with little wiggle in the joints.

B&O H6 -- Didn't listen to these much as I could tell right away they weren't for me. The soundstage and imaging were very good, but the bass was just too "neutral" for me. Similar to or less than my old Q701, definitely less than my AD900X. The treble was smooth and they were polite-sounding overall. Build quality is excellent, similar to the P7s. All metal and leather. The H6 is very light, lighter than the P7. 

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear -- Holy moly these are dark headphones. Once my brain adjusted to the signature, though, the sound had a  natural, relaxed signature that I enjoyed. I decided against them because I found myself turning the volume up too loud to bring out the treble. The bass was also a little too boomy for me. Also, even though they are built with nice materials, there is a flimsiness to them that is ultimately unsatisfying IMO. The earcups were too small for my ears as well. Barely circumaural. 

B&W P7 -- The winner. They aren't neutral by any stretch, but I find their coloration enjoyable and they have enough clarity/ resolution that I won't be missing my Vibros too much on the train. The overall signature is V-shaped, but the V is skewed more towards the bass.

The bass is boosted to the point of sounding disembodied on some tracks, but it isn't bloated. Just thick, heavy and well-extended. The treble, on the other hand, is emphasized enough to give the headphones an icy sparkle on top of the bass. It's a little peaky and does get fatiguing after an hour or so. I'd put the treble in the same offensiveness ballpark as the DT-990 Pro. In spite of these drawbacks, though, the P7 just gets my toes tapping. I suppose that's the tradeoff with V-shaped headphones. 

The soundstage is medium sized but the V-shape brings a nice sense of clarity and openness. Imaging is decently 3D but on the diffuse side. Detail retrieval, resolution, air, and ambience are all at a level that I find appropriate (though not exceptional) for a $400 headphone. The P7 was a clear step above the K550 and Momentum in these areas IMO. That's really what did it for me--these are headphones that I can use without feeling like I'm wasting my time by leaving my Vibros at home. The build quality is pretty sweet too. 

(Dis)honorable mentions:

B&W P5 -- I hate supra aural headphones and only tried them because I was curious. Maybe I had fit issues because they sounded like total garbage. The soundstage was flat and small and the bass had terrible extension. 

PSB M4U2 -- The batteries were out and sound only came from one side in passive mode. Obviously they were broken. Fairly or not, that gave me a bad impression considering all the other other headphones had stood up to demo use just fine. I also found them uncomfortable. 

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #2,721 of 4,373
  Awesome thread!

I went to a Best Buy Magnolia today to buy some headphones for my commute and ending up buying a P7. Here are my brief impressions of the headphones I demoed at the store, playing 320 kbps mp3s through Neutron on my LG G2. YMMV.

AKG K550 -- I went into the store wanting to like these, but the glaring, congested upper midrange/ lower treble ruined it for me. Otherwise, they were decent. The bass was definitely above neutral, but it was extended, punchy, and kept the midbass in control. I did not find the soundstage to be particularly remarkable--it was on the large side for a closed headphone but the size is wasted because it sounds congested and flat. Isolation was meh. The build was better than I was expecting, especially the metal headband I never noticed in pictures, but they are still about half plastic. Very solid with little wiggle in the joints.

B&O H6 -- Didn't listen to these much as I could tell right away they weren't for me. The soundstage and imaging were very good, but the bass was just too "neutral" for me. Similar to or less than my old Q701, definitely less than my AD900X. The treble was smooth and they were polite-sounding overall. Build quality is excellent, similar to the P7s. All metal and leather. The H6 is very light, lighter than the P7. 

Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear -- Holy moly these are dark headphones. Once my brain adjusted to the signature, though, the sound had a  natural, relaxed signature that I enjoyed. I decided against them because I found myself turning the volume up too loud to bring out the treble. The bass was also a little too boomy for me. Also, even though they are built with nice materials, there is a flimsiness to them that is ultimately unsatisfying IMO. The earcups were too small for my ears as well. Barely circumaural. 

B&W P7 -- The winner. They aren't neutral by any stretch, but I find their coloration enjoyable and they have enough clarity/ resolution that I won't be missing my Vibros too much on the train. The overall signature is V-shaped, but the V is skewed more towards the bass.

The bass is boosted to the point of sounding disembodied on some tracks, but it isn't bloated. Just thick, heavy and well-extended. The treble, on the other hand, is emphasized enough to give the headphones an icy sparkle on top of the bass. It's a little peaky and does get fatiguing after an hour or so. I'd put the treble in the same offensiveness ballpark as the DT-990 Pro. In spite of these drawbacks, though, the P7 just gets my toes tapping. I suppose that's the tradeoff with V-shaped headphones. 

The soundstage is medium sized but the V-shape brings a nice sense of clarity and openness. Imaging is decently 3D but on the diffuse side. Detail retrieval, resolution, air, and ambience are all at a level that I find appropriate (though not exceptional) for a $400 headphone. The P7 was a clear step above the K550 and Momentum in these areas IMO. That's really what did it for me--these are headphones that I can use without feeling like I'm wasting my time by leaving my Vibros at home. The build quality is pretty sweet too. 

(Dis)honorable mentions:

B&W P5 -- I hate supra aural headphones and only tried them because I was curious. Maybe I had fit issues because they sounded like total garbage. The soundstage was flat and small and the bass had terrible extension. 

PSB M4U2 -- The batteries were out and sound only came from one side in passive mode. Obviously they were broken. Fairly or not, that gave me a bad impression considering all the other other headphones had stood up to demo use just fine. I also found them uncomfortable. 

Great thoughts on each headphone...I pretty much agree with you on them across the board. I would suggest you try the Sennheiser On-ear momentums (they're not as dark as the over ears), the beyer T51p's and NAD HP50s. But the P7s are really great headphones. I do miss them from time to time.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #2,723 of 4,373
The Momentum sounds like a sealed 650. It is dark. Most of the time I love it. But with classical music, II sometimes use the Apple or Spotify equalizers to boost the treble. That helps a lot.

Actually, when properly driven, the HD650s sound quite a bit better and more open and clean than the over-ear Momentums. It's rare, but I'd have to say the smaller on-ears sound better.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #2,725 of 4,373
I don't disagree with that. The 650s are better. But there is a familial house sound between the two.

But the 650s are better for home use. I would much rather use the Momentum when I am on the go.

The HD 650 does sound better, but also quite different. I may be weird in saying this but I don't think they share a familial house sound. They have similar tuning overall, but they sound like two different brands of headphones to me. The HD 650 and it's kin (HD 600, HD 580, HD 565, HD 545, etc.) all share a familial house sound with each other despite quite different tuning that separates them from other Senns I heard, though I haven't heard more of the vintage dynamic Senns from the 80s and 90s such as the HD 540, HD 520, etc.

The Momentum just doesn't have the same sense euphony and lushness of the HD 600 family imho. The Momentum, PX-100 II, HD 239, HD 558, etc. to me sounds like a different brand trying to copy the house sound of the HD 600 family but fails to truly do so.

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #2,726 of 4,373
Actually, when properly driven, the HD650s sound quite a bit better and more open and clean than the over-ear Momentums. It's rare, but I'd have to say the smaller on-ears sound better.

I cant say that i fully agree, i think the bass on the on-ears turns a lot of people off. Which is a shame, because i think the treble on the On Ears is severely underrated, it is very clean, articulate and well extended, to me it sounds more refined in the treble than something like the Amperior which is highly regarded in its own right. I have the Vmoda M-80 and am really curious about the XS since you gave it pretty high praise. The M50x probably needs some love too, sure its overrecommended and everyone has an opinion about it but after having it for a while, side by side with the old M50 it simply sounds better, and by a considerable margin too IMO

Dec 7, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #2,727 of 4,373
HD650 is a whole nother animal compared to the Momentum. I love the momentum, but its hard to listen to it at home, given the open cans that are out there at the $359 msrp that the momentum had. Ive heard some people say the Momentum doesnt have a wide soundstage, i kinda disagree on that and find the width acceptable if not above average but where it really lacks is depth, and i think thats the biggest difference between say the 650 and momentum, of course open and closed = apples and oranges, but still.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #2,728 of 4,373
HD650 is a whole nother animal compared to the Momentum. I love the momentum, but its hard to listen to it at home, given the open cans that are out there at the $359 msrp that the momentum had. Ive heard some people say the Momentum doesnt have a wide soundstage, i kinda disagree on that and find the width acceptable if not above average but where it really lacks is depth, and i think thats the biggest difference between say the 650 and momentum, of course open and closed = apples and oranges, but still.

A good closed-back is just as good as a good open-back in my experience albeit they do tend to have different sound characteristics, truly good closed-backs are hard to find though. Comparing my DT 150 to my HD 600 has been an interesting experience to say the least. When the closed-back sounds more spacious, clearer, cleaner, more refined and transparent, smoother, more open, less fatiguing, and more full-bodied than a well-regarded open-back and is also cheaper by like $100 as well as better built then that provokes some thought. Maybe this will change when I upgrade my DAC, who knows. The momentum is definitely not in the HD 650's league, the MSRP on the phone was too steep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back