Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 23, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #1,891 of 4,373
I picked up the P7 and burned them in overnight. Sounds about like what I remember in the best buy I demoed them in which is a solid, enjoyable sound. The issue I am having with them and may be a cause for a return is the vocals. They just sound too removed for my tastes.

I prefer a more front row vocal presentation so I'm not sure where to go next, maybe PSB? I'm going to mess with the eq a bit and see what I can do. Does anyone know if the Apple stores have the m500 on display?

The PSB's mids are certainly not pushed back as they can be on the P7s. But they are big headphones.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #1,892 of 4,373
  Well, the Martin Logan Mikros 90s are now updated on the original post:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-13-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Great little headphones that offer outstanding value!

Next up...Monster DNA On-Ears. 

Thank MH! I guess they would move quite a ways up your list if you factored in "bang for buck".

Fwiw, I feel they have much better detail and resolution than the M500's, and I keep switching back to the 90's because of that. Oh oh.

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,894 of 4,373

Thank MH! I guess they would move quite a ways up your list if you factored in "bang for buck".

Fwiw, I feel they have much better detail and resolution than the M500's, and I keep switching back to the 90's because of that. Oh oh.

Bang for your buck, they are #1 on my list. If only they were more comfortable. 

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #1,895 of 4,373
Yeah, I thought that comfort would be a major issue with them for me. I'm not sure if it's because I bent them out a bit, or if I just got used to them, but I can wear them for hours no problem. Compared to the m500's though, and yeah, they are torture devices lol.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #1,896 of 4,373
Just to go back a little, these B&O H6s are really superb. It's been a few weeks now but I'm prepared to call them the best closed portable I've had (ESW9; DT-250, DT-1350; Momentum; P5s). I wish there was someone local with the P7s I could borrow for a week or two to properly assess them.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #1,897 of 4,373
Just to go back a little, these B&O H6s are really superb. It's been a few weeks now but I'm prepared to call them the best closed portable I've had (ESW9; DT-250, DT-1350; Momentum; P5s). I wish there was someone local with the P7s I could borrow for a week or two to properly assess them.

I though the P7 are more bassy in comparison? @.@ that's one of the reason I avoided them and the treble spikes claimed from many reviews :frowning2: stiffed pads and clamping :frowning2: but those are all from what I have read though

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,898 of 4,373
I though the P7 are more bassy in comparison? @.@ that's one of the reason I avoided them and the treble spikes claimed from many reviews
frown.gif
stiffed pads and clamping
frown.gif
but those are all from what I have read though

I guess it depends on how he/she reated the Momentum. To me the Momentum has more bass than the P7 and in all cases neither are bass heavy like many of the Beats sets etc.

I got a big head. I struggle to find helmets that fit etc., but I don't even think about any sort of clamping from the P7 and now after some weeks the pads are just perfect. Stiff enough to keep shape and seal while at the same time being comfortable. Could wear these for 10-12 hours a day without any discomfort at all.

Treble can sound a bit odd at times, but 98% of the time it is just perfect in my opinion. Probably the best feature of the headset (which makes me think it is more of a mixing/recording problem than a headset issue when you got "treble spikes").

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #1,899 of 4,373
  Bang for your buck, they are #1 on my list. If only they were more comfortable. 

I think the problem (again, I think) you had is that the pair you tried was not yours, so you could not bend the headband to your heart's content.   Many people have reported (myself included) comfort problems that went away when they stretched the headband.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #1,901 of 4,373
I guess it depends on how he/she reated the Momentum. To me the Momentum has more bass than the P7 and in all cases neither are bass heavy like many of the Beats sets etc.

I got a big head. I struggle to find helmets that fit etc., but I don't even think about any sort of clamping from the P7 and now after some weeks the pads are just perfect. Stiff enough to keep shape and seal while at the same time being comfortable. Could wear these for 10-12 hours a day without any discomfort at all.

Treble can sound a bit odd at times, but 98% of the time it is just perfect in my opinion. Probably the best feature of the headset (which makes me think it is more of a mixing/recording problem than a headset issue when you got "treble spikes").

Apologize! I was saying H6 vs P7 :)

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,902 of 4,373
I still encounter comfort problems. They're definitely not as comfortable as any over ear can.

True.

We will never see an over the ear Mikros...what a wonderful headphone that would be (if they kept the same signature, that is).

Still, stretching the headband greatly improved the comfort for me.  I don't think I could have used them (and enjoyed them) for more than a few minutes with the clamping force they had out of the box.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #1,903 of 4,373

True.

We will never see an over the ear Mikros...what a wonderful headphone that would be (if they kept the same signature, that is).

ML would have made those if people had considered mikros to be worth 300$. People voted and the vote was for those to be awesome headphones for 70$. If ML were to release a fullsize can it would be priced somewhere around 800$...takes some allowances to hype for those.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,904 of 4,373
The PSB's mids are certainly not pushed back as they can be on the P7s. But they are big headphones.

And there's battle for balance. On one hand I want something with a reasonably small footprint for portability and while on public transportation. On the other hand I am more concerned with SQ and of equal importance, something I can crank without leaking sound in a very quite office.

Did you do any leakage tests with these?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:05 AM Post #1,905 of 4,373
  ML would have made those if people had considered mikros to be worth 300$. People voted and the vote was for those to be awesome headphones for 70$. If ML were to release a fullsize can it would be priced somewhere around 800$...takes some allowances to hype for those.

What are you talking about...have you even heard the Mikros 90?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back