Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,321 of 4,373
Not really. You have to look out for the hinges. A headphone like the Momentum will pretty much never break given the simplicity of the design. Nothing rotates much.

Now something more difficult and complicated like the MDR 1R has more things you can break.

The actual materials are important, but design flaws are bad flaws indeed.

The Momentum's biggest problem is where the cable attaches to the headphones. Lots of issues on that lately and is probably the weakest link.

Jan 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,322 of 4,373
The Momentum's biggest problem is where the cable attaches to the headphones. Lots of issues on that lately and is probably the weakest link.

What sort of issues? The cable on the Momentum is really well-built (like many other headphones) unless it goes through a serials of brutal torture
very_evil_smiley.gif

That said, I am surprised that nobody brought out the HD25-Alu which I personally prefer over M500 and P7.

Jan 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #1,323 of 4,373
What sort of issues? The cable on the Momentum is really well-built (like many other headphones) unless it goes through a serials of brutal torture :veryevil:

That said, I am surprised that nobody brought out the HD25-Alu which I personally prefer over M500 and P7.

It's not the cable, but the screw-on assembly to the headphones. Quite a number (including mine) of reports where static is introduced through that assembly. In my particular case, if you tighten it enough, you can induce some static. Granted, I exchanged it and got a good pair, but didn't dare try to mess with the cable again. Afterwards, I saw at least 2 more cases where people were reporting similar behavior in the Momentum thread.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #1,324 of 4,373
Well, looks like the next few weeks are going to be very busy...got a pair of NAD Viso HP50s here too to add. That makes 3 headphones to be added (along with the B&O H6s and Monster DNA Pros). These are outstanding headphones. Seriously good (like towards the top of my ranking). 

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #1,325 of 4,373
  Well, looks like the next few weeks are going to be very busy...got a pair of NAD Viso HP50s here too to add. That makes 3 headphones to be added (along with the B&O H6s and Monster DNA Pros). These are outstanding headphones. Seriously good (like towards the top of my ranking). 

Also, give the AKG K545 a listen.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #1,327 of 4,373

I just got a pair and NAD Viso HP50s today and I am not overly impressed. The comfort is ok. They weren't lying, these things look ridiculous, like laughably bad imo. The phones themselves are glossy which makes them look cheap. They are built pretty good and are not portable.

I'm sure you can describe the sounds better than I can but they do sound great. They have a pretty big soundstage although I think they cheated a bit with that lol. They leak a lot of sound almost to the point where they sound like open back headphones at low volume. So these are a no go in an office environment. I think this leakage is what helps it achieve such a large sound stage. Hopefully you can describe what I am experiencing more eloquently. I will not be keeping these.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #1,328 of 4,373

I just got a pair and NAD Viso HP50s today and I am not overly impressed. The comfort is ok. They weren't lying, these things look ridiculous, like laughably bad imo. The phones themselves are glossy which makes them look cheap. They are built pretty good and are not portable.

I'm sure you can describe the sounds better than I can but they do sound great. They have a pretty big soundstage although I think they cheated a bit with that lol. They leak a lot of sound almost to the point where they sound like open back headphones at low volume. So these are a no go in an office environment. I think this leakage is what helps it achieve such a large sound stage. Hopefully you can describe what I am experiencing more eloquently. I will not be keeping these.

Really? Amazing how we can come to such different conclusions. They actually leak very little in my experience. I had a coworker try them on and I could barely hear a thing...like almost nothing. Styling, yes, they do lag behind the H6s and P7s, but sonically they are right up there (simply amazing). They measure stupendously good next to the competition, which likely explains their outstanding imaging (no tricks, just technically proficient headphones). Though I think the H6's offer slightly more air.

Construction-wise, though not flashy as the H6s or especially P7s, but they are very solid and I really like how they compact down in their carrying case. The flimsy fabric bag on the B&O is a waste of time IMO (so I bought a third party case off of ebay) and the P7's case is very large and not very portable. So when taken these factors fully into account, the HP50s are the way to go (as far as I can see after a full day with them).

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #1,331 of 4,373
  Oh, man... The aesthetics... 
blink.gif

lmao, my thoughts exacty

Really? Amazing how we can come to such different conclusions. They actually leak very little in my experience. I had a coworker try them on and I could barely hear a thing...like almost nothing. Styling, yes, they do lag behind the H6s and P7s, but sonically they are right up there (simply amazing). They measure stupendously good next to the competition, which likely explains their outstanding imaging (no tricks, just technically proficient headphones). Though I think the H6's offer slightly more air.

Construction-wise, though not flashy as the H6s or especially P7s, but they are very solid and I really like how they compact down in their carrying case. The flimsy fabric bag on the B&O is a waste of time IMO (so I bought a third party case off of ebay) and the P7's case is very large and not very portable. So when taken these factors fully into account, the HP50s are the way to go (as far as I can see after a full day with them).

I even had them on a basketball stretching them out inside a closet that is about 10-12 feet away and I could hear the music. Granted my house is pretty quiet right now but I have never had a closed back phone exhibit this amount of leakage. My wife who was next to me mentioned that she could clearly hear the current song that was playing. A few minutes later she took the phones away and I could clearly hear her track as well.

Maybe we need to see what others say, if others notice the leakage too than its not just my pair. Could be a defect in mine, who knows.

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,332 of 4,373

lmao, my thoughts exacty

I even had them on a basketball stretching them out inside a closet that is about 10-12 feet away and I could hear the music. Granted my house is pretty quiet right now but I have never had a closed back phone exhibit this amount of leakage. My wife who was next to me mentioned that she could clearly hear the current song that was playing. A few minutes later she took the phones away and I could clearly hear her track as well.

Maybe we need to see what others say, if others notice the leakage too than its not just my pair. Could be a defect in mine, who knows.

I'd put them on a human head. Basketballs aren't properly shaped or damped. 
tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #1,334 of 4,373

I did. Reread what I wrote. I just mentioned that because the basketball was 10-12 feet away in a closet and it was still audible. I do the same to all my phones and I have never heard them from that distance.

How loud are you playing them? Got my wife right here and she gives them the thumbs up (a hard thing to get). Not sure what you're comparing them too either?

Here are sum objective measurements that show them actually pretty good from an isolation perspective:
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=6&graphID[]=4283&graphID[]=4263&graphID[]=3951&graphID[]=3101&scale=30

They're actually better than the Momentums, M500s and SRH940s (all very good at isolation). Leakage is just what's heard on the outside and very closely related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back