Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Dec 17, 2013 at 9:36 PM Post #1,159 of 4,373
Good news folks...I've got a pair of Monster DNA Pros here and after I get to know them better, I'll be adding them to my comparative post on the first page. I'm not sure if Monster has released them yet, but to confirm, these are the over ear version. The on-ear versions have been out for while already. I was lucky enough to be included in a focus group prior to their release (or just as they're being released), not sure which it is.

More to come....

Dec 17, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #1,160 of 4,373
When did the MK 2 come out?  Everything takes forever to come to the US!   Needless to say, the original 1r.

US didnt take forever. Brunei did xD few months ago I saw Sennheiser HD800 as "New Arrival", and it cost a whopping BND2000+

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #1,161 of 4,373
I too have Momentums, P500s and P7s. Frankly they can all sound reasonably good out of an iPhone 5S but significantly better out of a boosting amp. The comparison with the the PSB M4U2 is instructive here with its built in amp providing more realistic depth and scale straight from the iPhone. Given that the sound from all three is acceptable , differences in comfort and portability become more significant. For me the Momentums are most comfortable being light and sufficiently ear-enveloping whereas the P500s are too light and never seem to seat comfortably. Significantly, the KEFs sound far better when pressed against the ears, always a sign that normal seating is unsatisfactory. The P7s are reasonably comfortable but feel relatively heavy and unwieldy to me. Here their substantial luxury build is a disadvantage. While they may not be significantly heavier, they feel it and they are certainly more bulky. So the Momentums come out top on the comfort and seating stakes but their portability is severely compromised by their absurdly bulky carrying case. This case is great for storing them at home but takes up far too much room in hand luggage. The phones themselves don't fold neither do their ear cups flatten which are disadvantages compared with the P7s and the P500s but they are much more portable in a soft sac. I use the luxury pouch from my Ultrasone Edition 8s, a phone I can't get on with due to a piercing mid, but thats another story. Thus accommodated the Momentums are more portable and I am sure there are many third party alternatives to the Ultrasone pouch. Sennheisers do provide such a pouch with the smaller Momentums and I would advise them to provide something similar for the larger 'phones. 

Returning to the sound of the phones and that elusive realism we all seek I have to identify some reservations with the P7s. Although everything is there and the frequency bands are well balanced there is some element standing between me and the desired listening experience.I can only describe this as a very slight coloration in the mid band which gives music a slightly honky metallic sound when immediately compared with other phones. I don't have this problem with either the Momentums or the KEFs. They are different from each other  in that the Momentum has some mild bass emphasis and warmth whereas the KEF is more open and transparent. However the best KEF sound requires additional pressure on the cups which is not practicable.

So my conclusion is that the Momentums are the best all rounder provided they can be accommodated in an alternative soft case. Come on Sennheiser, listen to criticism and give the larger Momentums the same facility as the smaller.

This is intended as a three way comparison but I have to add that I often find the Sony MDR 1R at least as good as the Momentums but with a better sense of depth and space. They fold into a convenient soft case and are very comfortable. Many critics claim the Sonys lack ultimate detail but so do the Momentums and their softer presentations are , to my ears, far preferable to the ear splitting detail of, for example,  Grados. Maybe my reservations with the P7s are in the same area.          

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,162 of 4,373
I too have Momentums, P500s and P7s. Frankly they can all sound reasonably good out of an iPhone 5S but significantly better out of a boosting amp. The comparison with the the PSB M4U2 is instructive here with its built in amp providing more realistic depth and scale straight from the iPhone. Given that the sound from all three is acceptable , differences in comfort and portability become more significant. For me the Momentums are most comfortable being light and sufficiently ear-enveloping whereas the P500s are too light and never seem to seat comfortably. Significantly, the KEFs sound far better when pressed against the ears, always a sign that normal seating is unsatisfactory. The P7s are reasonably comfortable but feel relatively heavy and unwieldy to me. Here their substantial luxury build is a disadvantage. While they may not be significantly heavier, they feel it and they are certainly more bulky. So the Momentums come out top on the comfort and seating stakes but their portability is severely compromised by their absurdly bulky carrying case. This case is great for storing them at home but takes up far too much room in hand luggage. The phones themselves don't fold neither do their ear cups flatten which are disadvantages compared with the P7s and the P500s but they are much more portable in a soft sac. I use the luxury pouch from my Ultrasone Edition 8 s, a phone I can't get on with due to a piercing mid, but thats another story. Thus accommodated the Momentums are moie portable and I am sure there are many third party alternatives to the Ultrasone pouch. Sennheisere do provide such a pouch with the smaller Momentums and I would advise them to provide something similar for the larger 'phones. 

Returning to the sound of the phones and that elusive realism we all seek I have to identify some reservations with the P7s. Although everything is there and the frequency bands are well balanced there is some element standing between me and the desired listening experience.I can only describe this as a very slight coloration in the mid band which gives music a slightly honky metallic sound when immediately compared with other phones. I don't have this problem with either the Momentums or the KEFs. They are different from each other  in that the Momentum has some mild bass emphasis and warmth whereas the KEF is more open and transparent. However the best KEF sound requires additional pressure on the cups which is not practicable.

So my conclusion is that the Momentum is the best all rounder provided they can be accommodated in an alternative soft case. Come on Sennheiser, listen to criticism and give the larger Momentums the same facility as the smaller.

This is intended as a three way comparison but I have to add that I often find the Sony MDR 1R at least as good as the Momentums but with a better sense of depth and space. They fold into a convenient soft case and are very comfortable. Many critics claim the Sonys lack ultimate detail but so do the Momentums and their softer presentations are , to my ears, far preferable to the ear splitting detail of, for example,  Grados. Maybe my reservations with the P7s are in the same area.          

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #1,165 of 4,373
Hey MH. Just like to recommend the Sony MDR-7520. Just received them today and They are much smaller that I was expecting. So they can be considered portable and a great one and their price is now $330 (from $499). Very comfortable and light. Their sound signature is balanced with very good Extention on both end and great mid. Very impress so far. Extremely detail and easy to drive. Cheer.

At first I wasn't too big of a fan of my MDR-7520's, I ordered them last spring from Axe music and I didn't find they were very musical, they were detailed, but not very musical to my ears so I didn't end up using them much. Maybe they were just brighter than what I was used to.  I had tried them straight out of my iPhone 5, iPad, Audio Lab M-DAC, also M-DAC to LYR to 7520's at low volume with the Lyr lol.  Last week I ordered a Vamp Verza and a Resonessence Labs Concero HP as well as some M-100's.   I find both the Vamp Verza and the Concero greatly improve the sound quality of the 7520's, making them seem more musical and smoother imo.

The Concero, even though it only has about 8 hours on it so far and heard that it can take close to 100 for full break in, makes a big difference with all of my portables (Kef M-500, 7520's, M-100's, and Momentums)  With the Momentums it really seems to help balance out the base making them less dark sounding, especially with the IIR filter.  The Concero will be used with my laptop as I work out of town and I feel that it is a major upgrade in SQ from my Audioquest Dragonfly.     

I do find my V-Moda M-100's to sound  a little better with the Verza though, probably as the Verza was designed for the M-100's.  The Verza seems to really help bring the base into balance with the mids and treble, turning it into a very warm and enjoyable headphone as opposed to something that I find too bass heavy.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #1,167 of 4,373
  Sorry, I don't know what happened with the text font sizing on my last post.

Fyi, you can edit it and fix it if you like.

Dec 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,169 of 4,373
In my experience, the slight upper-mid "honk" on the P7s (which was bothering me as well) becomes less intrusive over time. I was adjusting that via EQ at first, but after a couple hundred hours they sound much better with no EQ. When I first got the P7s, I still preferred the sound of the DT1350. Now they surpass the Beyers in just about every source I throw at them.

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM Post #1,170 of 4,373
  but I usually head for Singapore or other country for audio purchase xD it's way too expensive in Brunei ._.

lol really? everything is singapore is imported in, so stuff there is wayyyy marked up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back