Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
May 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #4,336 of 4,373
What are your thoughts on H6 2nd Gen?

I tried them on at the store and honestly I felt blown away at the time. At a $300 price point I didn’t think it was a good idea but after the employee offered them for $250 I thought it was a deal I couldn’t pass up, so I pulled the trigger. Last black model they had in stock at the store too, lucky me!

I had bought the 770 Pro 32 ohm two months before. Really tried to like them but had trouble getting used to the sibilance, and the emphasis on the treble meant I had to listen at lower volumes to avoid hurting my ears. Anything in the upper registers sounded unnatural and digital to me. I’ve had the H6 for a week and I really love them! They do everything so well. Bass might not hit as hard as the 770 but still makes a statement and subbass is surprisingly strong for its size. The treble is awesome, extends but is relaxing, not bright at all, very smooth and rounded. THIS is the kind of treble I like. The mids are good, but they lack some body in low mids and the upper mids/lower treble are a bit forward, giving them a bit of a hollow sound, and lower vocals lack some meat. But it’s not major, and my ears seem to adjust to it after a while. Guitars sound awesome on this and mids are clean. They sound even and balanced and smooth, while the 770 was harsh and vocals didn’t have as much presence and too much treble emphasis for me. They also didn’t look as good on my head at the office and don’t work as a portable, something I value with the H6. Both are very detailed, but the H6 can expose treble detail without a large peak. Soundstage and imaging is slightly wider/better on the 770 but not by much. That, the bass and the overall bigger/more dynamic sound of the 770’s are my only positives of them OVER the H6’s, and the H6 still exceeds in these categories. Add to that much easier and balanced sound, better looks and portability, I prefer them greatly. Sorry for the long post but that’s my 2 cents :)
You'd probably like Momentums, P7, and HP50 then. I have the same exact thoughts about the 770- I had to listen to low volumes and the treble was just unnatural to me, it got sold within the same month I bought it.

May 10, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #4,337 of 4,373
You'd probably like Momentums, P7, and HP50 then. I have the same exact thoughts about the 770- I had to listen to low volumes and the treble was just unnatural to me, it got sold within the same month I bought it.
No, I got the H6 Gen 2 and I like them! Sorry it may have been a little unclear as if I was asking for advice. Those three phones, there were things that put them at the bottom of my consideration. The M2’s I read had a rolled of treble. I don’t dislike treble, the 770’s just had too much of it for me. The H6 extends just as well and is almost as crisp/airy but not nearly as grating. The P7’s just too expensive for me and also read they’re heavy. The HP50’s seem too uncomfortable. Clearly the 770’s are meant for studio work but many do enjoy them. The 80 ohm version is almost always recommended.

The H6’s rival many full size headphones at their price point. I think a lot of people would pass them off as a portable fashion consumer can but that really isn’t the case. They have fantastic quality, especially for their size. Nice neutral sound overall with just a bit of emphasis in some spots to keep them from being boring. I was also surprised by the comfort, those small pads fit over my ears well. How’d they manage that!?

I’m glad I got to try them before buying them as if not I probably would’nt have bought them and would’ve had to pay more. When I think about perfect headphone sound in my head, the H6 Gen 2 are pretty close...the only things they lack are some lower mid warmth to fill out voices and more powerful sound, but I can’t knock that because they don’t have a huge driver. Turning it up helps it :) This could be it for me, at least for awhile. Any other closed back headphone I’d be interested in trying is just way too expensive for me to consider purchasing. As much as I like headphones I personally don’t think I can ever justify paying more than $400 for them...

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #4,338 of 4,373
:) This could be it for me, at least for awhile. Any other closed back headphone I’d be interested in trying is just way too expensive for me to consider purchasing. As much as I like headphones I personally don’t think I can ever justify paying more than $400 for them...

I'm a big fan of B&O, loved my Bluetooth H7. Seriously, if you want to be shocked, grab a set of the M1 MKII. They can be had for under $100US new. If you can order from Amazon with their great return policy I really think the Fidelio deserves to be tried by everybody who is looking for a well made, and well tuned portable headphone. I didn't expect to be as impressed as I was.

May 10, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #4,339 of 4,373
I'm a big fan of B&O, loved my Bluetooth H7. Seriously, if you want to be shocked, grab a set of the M1 MKII. They can be had for under $100US new. If you can order from Amazon with their great return policy I really think the Fidelio deserves to be tried by everybody who is looking for a well made, and well tuned portable headphone. I didn't expect to be as impressed as I was.
Might look em up! If I ever find myself in a situation to be able to use open backs regularly, the Fidellio X2 and HD600/650 are my top want-to-try’s. I do just about all about my listening at work, the H6 are perfect for that. Very happy with them and with the price I paid for them. Finding flatter signatures to be a lot less fatiguing. One headphone I tried during my walk around the city was the K553 and I was quite surprised. I was expecting them to be thin but they actually had loads of midbass, and their soundstage wasn’t as good as I expected. I didn’t get to try them with my own music, as Guitar Center had them hardwired in. Wonder if they had some weird bass boost on their playback system. Either way, they didn’t give me the same impression I got with the H6.

May 10, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #4,340 of 4,373
Might look em up! If I ever find myself in a situation to be able to use open backs regularly, the Fidellio X2 and HD600/650 are my top want-to-try’s. I do just about all about my listening at work, the H6 are perfect for that. Very happy with them and with the price I paid for them. Finding flatter signatures to be a lot less fatiguing. One headphone I tried during my walk around the city was the K553 and I was quite surprised. I was expecting them to be thin but they actually had loads of midbass, and their soundstage wasn’t as good as I expected. I didn’t get to try them with my own music, as Guitar Center had them hardwired in. Wonder if they had some weird bass boost on their playback system. Either way, they didn’t give me the same impression I got with the H6.
The M1 is a closed back. For an open back surprise the Onkyo A800 is well worth a try. Anyway, at the $79US I paid for the M1 MKII, nothing I have ever tried really comes close to it in bang for buck, and in general, the M1 is just an excellent signature which I suspect would be similar to the H6 v2 based on reading about it, but not having heard it as of yet. Cheers.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #4,341 of 4,373
May I interject here that I have found the Fidelio M1 MKII to be simply stunning as a quality portable. Really love the sound signature, very dynamic and really no weak spot that I can note. I think in terms of bang for the buck, the M1 MKII may be the best portable I have purchased.

I found them a little strange, and the ear cushions are cheap and split very quickly, almost out of the box -- got them for very cheap on NewEgg.

May 10, 2018 at 11:00 PM Post #4,342 of 4,373
I found them a little strange, and the ear cushions are cheap and split very quickly, almost out of the box -- got them for very cheap on NewEgg.
Different experience here, mine feel nice, of course at the price point there are some modest compromises. Sound signature is excellent and I've owned quite a few headphones. Did you get the original version or the MKII? Not sure if that is part of our different experience.

May 10, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #4,343 of 4,373
Different experience here, mine feel nice, of course at the price point there are some modest compromises. Sound signature is excellent and I've owned quite a few headphones. Did you get the original version or the MKII? Not sure if that is part of our different experience.

I just checked my NewEgg invoice from last year, it says:

Philips M1MKIIBO/27 Fidelio Premium On-Ear Headphones w/ in-line Control and mic - Black/Orange

FullSizeRender.jpeg IMG_5511.jpeg

.... but now that I put them on and listen to them, I actually think they sound quite good. It may have been just a bad day, or I had been listening to headphones that had a very different sound signature so my brain was tuned to a different sound preference as my reference for "right..." ... clamp is kind of hard on my ears, though... and it's possible I was just sour because of the pads. I never could find a way to replace them.

May 11, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #4,344 of 4,373
I just checked my NewEgg invoice from last year, it says:

Philips M1MKIIBO/27 Fidelio Premium On-Ear Headphones w/ in-line Control and mic - Black/Orange

.... but now that I put them on and listen to them, I actually think they sound quite good. It may have been just a bad day, or I had been listening to headphones that had a very different sound signature so my brain was tuned to a different sound preference as my reference for "right..." ... clamp is kind of hard on my ears, though... and it's possible I was just sour because of the pads. I never could find a way to replace them.
That is a shame about the pad, did you not consider sending it in for the headphone to be replaced? That certainly looks to be a production defect at the stitching and should not happen. Yes, at times I find the clamp slightly more than ideal, but to this point it hasn't been truly a problem. It is a tough nut to crack to get an on-ear with bass that doesn't have a fairly solid clamp. I guess to ensure the seal remains tight the clamp has to be firm. Still, if I could I would want the clamp slightly softer. I suspect many people wouldn't mind the clamp force, but I am sensitive to it and while not ideal, I feel even as a sensitive person that the M1 MKII is acceptable in that aspect of comfort.

I'm glad that you are giving them another try as I believe they are actually a really well tuned headphone. Cheers.

May 11, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #4,345 of 4,373
That is a shame about the pad, did you not consider sending it in for the headphone to be replaced? That certainly looks to be a production defect at the stitching and should not happen. Yes, at times I find the clamp slightly more than ideal, but to this point it hasn't been truly a problem. It is a tough nut to crack to get an on-ear with bass that doesn't have a fairly solid clamp. I guess to ensure the seal remains tight the clamp has to be firm. Still, if I could I would want the clamp slightly softer. I suspect many people wouldn't mind the clamp force, but I am sensitive to it and while not ideal, I feel even as a sensitive person that the M1 MKII is acceptable in that aspect of comfort.

I'm glad that you are giving them another try as I believe they are actually a really well tuned headphone. Cheers.

I did consider returning them and getting a replacement set, but... I was kind of sour about it and just didn't want to go through the trouble that first day, then frankly, I got busy and then the return window slipped past me. :sweat_smile: Honestly, problems like this happen very rarely to me on brand new headphones, in fact, I can only recall one other time, and that's when I bought my first planars, the T50RP MK3, and they arrived out of the box with a piece literally broken... in that case, though, I quickly arranged a return, although that was from Amazon, unlike the M1 MKII, which were from New Egg, and for whom I've never arranged a return and I think that was part of the calculus as well -- that and the fact I had only paid $40 for the M1 MKII, unlike the $159 I paid for the Fostex.

But yes, thank you -- thanks to you, I pulled them out again and besides the (normal for on-ear) discomfort of the ear cups clamping on my ears, I must say I really do like them after all... I'll just leave with the split ear pads. :nerd:

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:42 AM Post #4,347 of 4,373
Any chance of adding Thinksound ON2 to the list?

Feb 25, 2019 at 11:05 AM Post #4,349 of 4,373
I've pretty much ended my journey with this thread, but may from time-to-time report back. Sorry.
Yes, there is only so much that a person can do. I am sure it will remain sporadically active. Cheers.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #4,350 of 4,373
Yes, there is only so much that a person can do. I am sure it will remain sporadically active. Cheers.

Thanks man...it was getting a bit expensive a while ago...so I've kinda slowed things down. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back