Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 6, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #2,986 of 4,373
I know it's been said here already, but I'd just like to back it up. The Denon AH-MM400 needs to be a part of this excellent comparison.

Mar 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,988 of 4,373
I know it's been said here already, but I'd just like to back it up. The Denon AH-MM400 needs to be a part of this excellent comparison.

^ My thoughts exactly.

I've got the JH Layla's and AKT5ps here for review now (I'm writing them up for Headphone.guru). Once that's done, I'll see if Denon can send me a review pair. 
redface.gif
 Thanks for the recommendation!

Mar 7, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #2,990 of 4,373

What's your (the accepted) criteria that must be met to earn the definition of portable?

These cans fold up - that alone in my book makes them portable.

...the MM400 are surely supposed to be portable, besides the folding mechanism it even only comes with short cables for portable usage. Here a short review.

...just amended in relation to some further break-in effects between 100 and 200hrs...

Quote:
 Sorry I've been a bit late on the on-ear review of the Momentum 2s, but things have been really crazy recently and I've got my in-laws staying with me this weekend. I should have it up next week. But a quick preview, I found the over-ear Momentum 2s a revolution over the previous version and the on-ears are more of an "evolution", but improved nonetheless.

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

^ My thoughts exactly.

I've got the JH Layla's and AKT5ps here for review now (I'm writing them up for Headphone.guru). Once that's done, I'll see if Denon can send me a review pair. 
redface.gif
 Thanks for the recommendation!

...some comparison of the MM400 with the Over Ear Momentum 2 would be highly appreciated...

Mar 9, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #2,991 of 4,373
Great Thread!

As a newbie here and reading/researching and trying out Headphones these past few weeks it's great to see the things i myself  have noticed among the ones i have demoed.

I have/like/listen to a wide range of music, rock, funk, soul, jazz, acoustic, electronic, alt/indie, reggae and have been looking for a good portable to go with my new AK120 and so far after demoing i have really liked 

B&O H6 these sounded amazing, very comfortable and though a bit light on the bass i can see why ppl would really like these a lot. ( also had to push my AK120 up to around 65+ to block out BG noise at the B&O store (TV on in the BG) but they really do sound nice, look great, too bad they don't provide a nice case with them

I also tried the V Moda M100 and the 80 (a bit too much bass for me) , the PSU's the MH 30/40 and B&W 3,5,7's (not a huge fan of the "Style/build" of these) as well as Grados (too uncomfortable for my liking) as well as Some bigger cans for home use (HD 600/650 ( but that's another realm and for later purchasing) 

I tried the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ears ((original version) and kinda like their sound (not too much bass and not too neutral) but i can see where the pads can be a bit annoying for some ears, so i need to check out their M2 version as they are updated with what i want (folding/more portable)

As far as what i have been looking for, its down to quality sound/build and style, i guess i am looking for something that is not Bass light, but not bass heavy, something in the middle that is fully portable with a detachable cable (remote doesn't make much diff) and comes with a nice case.

I'd like to demo the OPPO PM3 as they seem to be very interesting from what i read here regarding sound and design, but i called them and they are not shipping to retailers for a few months..

I guess i will have to keep demoing and wait for a few comparisons here between the New Momentums and the PM3 as that's sort of where i have found myself at this point, any input is greatly appreciated but thanks to Macedonia Hero for his great reviews/comparisons. :)

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,993 of 4,373
I might have had a faulty pair, but the Momentum 2.0s I tested sounded jumbled. I find the Denons infinitely better, more polished. Build quality is better too, but then again they are 33% more expensive, so perhaps the comparison is a little unfair.

Mar 9, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #2,994 of 4,373
I can't say anything about the Denon because I haven't heard them. As Peter and I have both said, the Momentum 2.0 are very much improved from the previous iteration. I have listened to or owned many of the hp's on this thread that have been reviewed. I agree the Momentum's lead the pack in the one's reviewed here. The other's I have enjoyed, are in order T51p, NAD HP 50, VModa XS. I haven't found one thing, with the possible exception of the cable and minimal accessories, about the Momentum 2.0 I don't like. The only other one I have interest in that this time is the Oppo PM-3 but it will be a while until I purchase them because I am waiting for Earsonics Velvet to arrive(IEM).

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:46 PM Post #2,995 of 4,373
  I can't say anything about the Denon because I haven't heard them. As Peter and I have both said, the Momentum 2.0 are very much improved from the previous iteration. I have listened to or owned many of the hp's on this thread that have been reviewed. I agree the Momentum's lead the pack in the one's reviewed here. The other's I have enjoyed, are in order T51p, NAD HP 50, VModa XS. I haven't found one thing, with the possible exception of the cable and minimal accessories, about the Momentum 2.0 I don't like. The only other one I have interest in that this time is the Oppo PM-3 but it will be a while until I purchase them because I am waiting for Earsonics Velvet to arrive(IEM).

Agreed...the Momentum 2 over-ears are incredible headphones and far from "jumbled", even when straight out of my iPhone 6.

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #2,996 of 4,373

But with the originals at $180.  Do you think its worth $350 for the improvement ?

Mar 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #2,997 of 4,373

But with the originals at $180.  Do you think its worth $350 for the improvement ?

For me, yes, absolutely. I sold the originals twice for their lack of comfort, isolation, portability (when in the carrying case), treble or air. All are rectified with the Momentum 2s...these are totally different headphones IMO. I liked the original Momentums, but the newer versions have kicked it up several notches and are more of a revolution than an evolution.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #2,998 of 4,373

Look at my profile....I bought them and returned them. Then I talked myself into trying them again. I ended up returning them again. These are the real deal. I felt the first Momentum had some comfort issues and the treble was lame and they felt very closed in. The soundstage, imaging, treble and isolation its all there.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #2,999 of 4,373

Agreed...the Momentum 2 over-ears are incredible headphones and far from "jumbled", even when straight out of my iPhone 6.

Sell me yours when you get bored of them! (I'll probably be ready to bite by then lol)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back