Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Feb 12, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #2,881 of 4,373
  Interesting how you put the NAD HP50 at #2 and the PSB M4u2 at #10 when they are basically the same headphones.

nope. the HP50 offer wider soundstage, warmer and more bass than the PSB. Some may find the HP50 more interesting to listen to but some find the less bass and more midrange focus [in comparison] better to listen to.All matters of preference but so far, I see more love are drawn to the HP50! 

Feb 12, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #2,882 of 4,373
I have heard them and found they were too small and uncomfortable for me and the soundstage was "ok" but sounded like it was artificially increased eg. not the same as a large pair of headphones with a big soundstage, they sound like a small pair of headphones with an artificially enhanced soundstage... But overall yes they are good for £200, better than most other headphones at that price.

Feb 12, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #2,883 of 4,373
  Interesting how you put the NAD HP50 at #2 and the PSB M4u2 at #10 when they are basically the same headphones.

The HP50s sounded a bit more natural to my ears. But the biggest thing was that the PSB M4U 2's aren't very portable (they're huge), nor comfortable (this thread is about "portable" closed headphones for on the go). I have a bigger sized melon and even on the biggest setting on the headband I had a hard time getting the earcups down all the way to cover my ears. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,885 of 4,373
  I have a pair of around ear Momentum's 2.0 arriving tomorrow....Mac I couldn't wait for your findings.

Excellent...looking forward to your thoughts! 
popcorn.gif
 I love them so far, and the noise isolation is as good as anything on my list (and that includes the headphones with noise cancellation).

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,887 of 4,373
At least you will get bigger earcups.

I don't know about the sound quality, which was in your original comment, but I read the review below as well as a few others and listened to a couple of hints that MH has thrown out there and thought why not give them a shot. I am anxious to see if MH agrees with the comments in the below review. But yes I will get larger earcups. Is anyone interested in any unboxing photos?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R269R4VDWPR6C8/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00SJ4IKEW&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=172282&store=electronics#wasThisHelpful

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #2,888 of 4,373

For on-ears, I'm really liking the T51p and the new Momentum On-Ears. 

So I got T51i (couldn't find the p) and Kef M500 in yesterday. Did an A/B/C with the HP50 last night and had the wife serve as a 2nd opinion. Our mini-shootout was: HP50 > T51i > Kef M500.

HP50 is just more spacious - everything has room, and that is especially helpful in dense mixes. But the T51i is a surprisingly good headphone. I vastly prefer it to the HD 25 Aluminum that came and went. Much more balance in the low end, and no shrill highs. With the Kef - I really want to like it as it is beautifully made. And in fact for poorly recorded music it actually may have an advantage. It is very laid back in the treble but does have decent mid presentation. So actually rock electric guitar sounds really good through the M500. But there is no "air" to be found in it. Not sure if it is going to stay around. Not a bad sounding set of cans, but just not as involving or detailed as the T51i.

Feb 14, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,889 of 4,373

I just received them....time to listen

Edit: Is that treble I hear? And a little sub bass when it counts?

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,890 of 4,373

So I got T51i (couldn't find the p) and Kef M500 in yesterday. Did an A/B/C with the HP50 last night and had the wife serve as a 2nd opinion. Our mini-shootout was: HP50 > T51i > Kef M500.

HP50 is just more spacious - everything has room, and that is especially helpful in dense mixes. But the T51i is a surprisingly good headphone. I vastly prefer it to the HD 25 Aluminum that came and went. Much more balance in the low end, and no shrill highs. With the Kef - I really want to like it as it is beautifully made. And in fact for poorly recorded music it actually may have an advantage. It is very laid back in the treble but does have decent mid presentation. So actually rock electric guitar sounds really good through the M500. But there is no "air" to be found in it. Not sure if it is going to stay around. Not a bad sounding set of cans, but just not as involving or detailed as the T51i.

Sound wise, that's how I would rank them too. 
smile.gif

I just received them....time to listen

Edit: Is that treble I hear? And a little sub bass when it counts?

Most excellent! And oh yes, that is treble you're hearing. 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #2,894 of 4,373

Interesting because I wrote a review of the original momentum and said they were very good and if sennheiser would release a pair 30% bigger with a bigger soundstage they would be the best headphones at the price, maybe they read my review lol.

They very well might have. Plus the noise isolation has been significantly improved too!

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #2,895 of 4,373
They very well might have. Plus the noise isolation has been significantly improved too!
I dont have enough time yet to give any firm findings, but the soundstage is improved, I feel the the treble extension adds to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back