Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Apr 25, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #2,057 of 4,373
Serious? Then I need to listen to T51p again. I found On1 to have better clarity and bass than T51p.

I had the On1 for quite some time and just heard the T51p.

I find the quality of the bass equal on both however the On1 has more of it. Specifically in the sub bass region, the kind that makes the headphone shake/rumble.

Then again it is also dependent on what you are using. I find the T51p pairs better with my X5 than the On1. The Beyer has better clearer treble than the On1 with the X5. The Beyer is easier to drive and louder on equal volume. That's the tesla technology at work there. Very impressive.

The build quality is another story. The Beyer makes the On1 look/feel like a Fisher Price headphone.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #2,058 of 4,373

I find the quality of the bass equal on both however the On1 has more of it. Specifically in the sub bass region, the kind that makes the headphone shake/rumble.

Then again it is also dependent on what you are using. I find the T51p pairs better with my X5 than the On1. The Beyer has better clearer treble than the On1 with the X5. The Beyer is easier to drive and louder on equal volume. That's the tesla technology at work there. Very impressive.

The build quality is another story. The Beyer makes the On1 look/feel like a Fisher Price headphone.

Just to add on, I find the T51P to be pretty heavy in comparison to the On1 (which feels like I am not wearing anything when its on my head). While both are on-ear headphones, the On1 has a slightly bigger earpad. These two factors make the On1 much more comfortable to wear for long period of time. I can't say the same for the T51P.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #2,059 of 4,373

Just to add on, I find the T51P to be pretty heavy in comparison to the On1 (which feels like I am not wearing anything when its on my head). While both are on-ear headphones, the On1 has a slightly bigger earpad. These two factors make the On1 much more comfortable to wear for long period of time. I can't say the same for the T51P.

100% agree. While I don't feel the weight difference on my head I do feel it in my hand.  I do however feel the size difference on the ears. Though personally for me the On1 causes me pain after a few hours, the 51p do not.

Apr 25, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #2,060 of 4,373

Thanks for comparison. I will try out the T51p again.  

Apr 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #2,061 of 4,373
  Though personally for me the On1 causes me pain after a few hours, the 51p do not.

I can keep the T51p's on my head for hours and completely forget I've got them on. Simply outstanding comfort!

Apr 26, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,062 of 4,373
I can keep the T51p's on my head for hours and completely forget I've got them on. Simply outstanding comfort!

So MH... Comfort compared to our beloved HP50's?

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #2,064 of 4,373
  The T51p's are actually more comfortable IMO.

Someday over the rainbow you might end up wanting to sell those puppies. If so, then give this Canadian brethren a PM (the timing might be right) :)

Apr 26, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #2,065 of 4,373

Someday over the rainbow you might end up wanting to sell those puppies. If so, then give this Canadian brethren a PM (the timing might be right) :)

No problem. 
smile.gif
  However, if you don't want to wait, NCIX has them in stock. 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2,066 of 4,373
  No problem. 
smile.gif
  However, if you don't want to wait, NCIX has them in stock. 
evil_smiley.gif

Damn you. Not only are they at NCIX, but they are on sale for $199 shipped until tomorrow the 27th. Sigh. No pressure! And that's Canadian dollars! (since when do we get good deals?).

They can't be found for less than that, can they? And they won't be less than that for a while I'm sure.

I just re-read your review of them. Damn - very hard to resist. I'm not sure that I can! But, I would have to sell my M500's. I get the feeling that you don't think that I'd miss them terribly. And you obviously think the sound better than the 90's that I'm still very happy with. Hmmm!

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #2,067 of 4,373
Damn. My resistance was very low tonight. ORDERED!

I always lusted over the DT1350's, but the comfort issues kept me at bay. Your very positive impressions of the T51P's hooked me. Then I started watching this guy's review. It didn't help.

Anyway, it appears that they:
- sound awesome
- look awesome
- are very well built
- are very comfortable
- are very portable
- isolate very well
- priced very well

Resistance was futile.

Thanks MH!

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #2,068 of 4,373
For those who have the Beyer T51p, what's the impedance on your cans?  My first T51p said 60 ohms on the box.  I had to return and replace those because it was defective (headband looked like it was shaped by a poorly trained monkey, the metallic earcup cover had crud and scratches on them, etc.).  My replacement cans had 32 ohms listed on the box.

Various reviews of the T51p on the web are inconsistent on the impedance.  Beyer's North American website says 32 ohms but the instruction booklet that came with the T51p says 60 ohms.

I wonder what's going on.  I'd be curious why Beyer is making 2 variants of this headphone and not giving any explanation.  Personally I don't recall any difference in sound between the two.  I had to turn in the first pair to get the replacement so I couldn't compare at the same time.

Don't have time for a detailed review but I agree the sound on the T51p is great -- no grain, tight bass that goes pretty deep, solid mids and detailed treble that's not too bright (just the way I like them).  They are more comfortable than other on-ears I've tried but they still make my ears a bit sore after an hour and require adjustment.  

Quality control is a bit disappointing.  Like I mentioned, Beyer should have been embarrassed that my first pair left their factory in Germany.  My replacement pair was missing the accessories (1/4 adapter and flight adapter) and I had to get Beyer send them to me separately so points lost on that front as well.  Assuming that you aren't as unlucky as me, build quality on the T51p itself is solid.

My recent comparison portable cans (within the last 3 months): NAD HP50, AKG K545, Sennheiser Momentums Over Ears.  T51p is my favorite out of that bunch and the one that I'll be using as my portable/office.  My other pair for home use are the Philips Fidelio X1.

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #2,069 of 4,373
  For those who have the Beyer T51p, what's the impedance on your cans?  My first T51p said 60 ohms on the box.  I had to return and replace those because it was defective (headband looked like it was shaped by a poorly trained monkey, the metallic earcup cover had crud and scratches on them, etc.).  My replacement cans had 32 ohms listed on the box.

Various reviews of the T51p on the web are inconsistent on the impedance.  Beyer's North American website says 32 ohms but the instruction booklet that came with the T51p says 60 ohms.

I wonder what's going on.  I'd be curious why Beyer is making 2 variants of this headphone and not giving any explanation.  Personally I don't recall any difference in sound between the two.  I had to turn in the first pair to get the replacement so I couldn't compare at the same time.

Don't have time for a detailed review but I agree the sound on the T51p is great -- no grain, tight bass that goes pretty deep, solid mids and detailed treble that's not too bright (just the way I like them).  They are more comfortable than other on-ears I've tried but they still make my ears a bit sore after an hour and require adjustment.  

Quality control is a bit disappointing.  Like I mentioned, Beyer should have been embarrassed that my first pair left their factory in Germany.  My replacement pair was missing the accessories (1/4 adapter and flight adapter) and I had to get Beyer send them to me separately so points lost on that front as well.  Assuming that you aren't as unlucky as me, build quality on the T51p itself is solid.

My recent comparison portable cans (within the last 3 months): NAD HP50, AKG K545, Sennheiser Momentums Over Ears.  T51p is my favorite out of that bunch and the one that I'll be using as my portable/office.  My other pair for home use are the Philips Fidelio X1.

I think they are all 32 ohms now. My box has a sticker on it that covers the specs and the sticker says 32ohms. My guess is they are all being made with 32ohms and they just haven't updated all their boxes yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back