[Comparison Review] Searching for accurate sounding closed cans under $100 (9 headphone models compared)
Sep 27, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #16 of 32
Whatever it is, I just borrowed one and i can tell you that the sound isn't bad at all. Not bad for the $60 that j&R charges for them anyways. The highs are the strongest point since they sound like the highs of open cans or higher end closed cans. As for the bass, it is just there, not overpowering yet not really that outstanding either and the mids are slightly weird with the lower mids being more recessed than the upper mids. they kinda remind me of beyer dt231/235 except less bright and are just a better headphone overall. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 8:06 AM Post #17 of 32

There's no reason to believe him, and I can confirm that HD380 and HD360 not only differ in impedance but size as well.  40mm vs. 32mm, respectively.  They're not using the same drivers.

Have you actually measured their impedance and sizes (not those numbers in the manufacturer's description, which are often incorrect)?

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #18 of 32
I've measured their physical sizes as I own both.  I can't measure their impedance at 1kHz as I only have a regular multimeter.  Just how incorrect do you mean?
Still, regardless of how bored that guy was to claim to be one of Sennheiser's folks, the fact that the HD360 has a totally different housing practically guarantees that they will not measure or sound the same even if they actually were using the same drivers.

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #19 of 32
  I've measured their physical sizes as I own both.  I can't measure their impedance at 1kHz as I only have a regular multimeter.  Just how incorrect do you mean?
Still, regardless of how bored that guy was to claim to be one of Sennheiser's folks, the fact that the HD360 has a totally different housing practically guarantees that they will not measure or sound the same even if they actually were using the same drivers.

You mean the housing sizes or the actual driver sizes of both headphones? If we cannot believe the relationship between the HD 360 and HD 380 Pros based on a person's statement, then we cannot do so, either, about the relationship between HD 360 Pro and PX 360. Anyways, this is a meaningless discussion that can only be resolved when all three headphones (HD 360 Pro, PX 360, HD 380 Pro) are objectively measured.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #20 of 32

You mean the housing sizes or the actual driver sizes of both headphones? If we cannot believe the relationship between the HD 360 and HD 380 Pros based on a person's statement, then we cannot do so, either, about the relationship between HD 360 Pro and PX 360. Anyways, this is a meaningless discussion that can only be resolved when all three headphones (HD 360 Pro, PX 360, HD 380 Pro) are objectively measured.

Yes, actual driver sizes.  But all three being measured anytime soon probably won't happen, and it wouldn't hurt for you to do your own comparison and let us know as you are the one more or less delving into the matter. 
biggrin.gif

So give HD360 a go unless you don't feel like doing any more comparisons.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 32

Yes, actual driver sizes.

Then, the difference between the HD 380 Pro and the HD 360 Pro is covered, but the other relationships are still unclear. No, I really do not have much motivation to test more headphones now---plus, the SRH440 is really that good to kill further interest. Also, note that there is always sampling variation in mechanical headphone/speaker drivers---I know this as a speaker builder. I believe I got a really good sample of the SRH440.

Sep 27, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #22 of 32

Then, the difference between the HD 380 Pro and the HD 360 Pro is covered, but the other relationships are still unclear. No, I really do not have much motivation to test more headphones now---plus, the SRH440 is really that good to kill further interest. Also, note that there is always sampling variation in mechanical headphone/speaker drivers---I know this as a speaker builder. I believe I got a really good sample of the SRH440.

I've learned that as well from trying out headphones more than once, as well as making modifications to them.  Sometimes I get the itch to roll headphones, and the same model, to make sure I got one really, really good sample of it, but that chips away at the wallet even more. 
ph34r.gif

Sep 28, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 32
The following TEAC are exactly the same headphones as the Tascam TH-02 but cost less at this time and come with a bonus carrying pouch:

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-CT-H02-B-CT-H02-Multi-Use-Headphone/dp/B00CMO2WT4/

http://www.teac.com/product/ct-h02/ (TEAC product page)

Interestingly, you cannot find the product through Amazon search---there must be some errors in Amazon's automated stocking system. You can only find these through Google search. But I confirm that I ordered and received two pairs of them with no problem. Just much cheaper than the Tascam!

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:06 PM Post #24 of 32
Here is the TEAC in pink:

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-CT-H02-B-CT-H02-Multi-Use-Headphone/dp/B00CMO2WW6

Although the title says Black, the headphones ARE Pink (ear pads and headband are pink)----I ordered a pair by mistake (the model number ends with the letter P (pink)). In fact, construction-wise they are a little better because the headband cushion is finished with a leather-like feel. Currently they are only $10! If you know some woman (e.g., girlfriend) who needs indoor headphones, these will be a great choice.

Oct 1, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #26 of 32
  The following TEAC are exactly the same headphones as the Tascam TH-02 but cost less at this time and come with a bonus carrying pouch:

http://www.amazon.com/Teac-CT-H02-B-CT-H02-Multi-Use-Headphone/dp/B00CMO2WT4/

http://www.teac.com/product/ct-h02/ (TEAC product page)

Interestingly, you cannot find the product through Amazon search---there must be some errors in Amazon's automated stocking system. You can only find these through Google search. But I confirm that I ordered and received two pairs of them with no problem. Just much cheaper than the Tascam!

Except the Tascam are still $29.99 for TWO pair shipped from MF, so that makes them a lot cheaper. Well, the pink TEACs are cheaper, but those aren't for me... :wink:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-th-02-multi-use-studio-grade-headphones-black-2-pack

Oct 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #27 of 32

Except the Tascam are still $29.99 for TWO pair shipped from MF, so that makes them a lot cheaper. Well, the pink TEACs are cheaper, but those aren't for me... :wink:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/tascam-th-02-multi-use-studio-grade-headphones-black-2-pack

The amazon price for the black Teac was below $13 when I posted the info. Too bad it went up over $25 now.

Oct 1, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #29 of 32
Put it into your Wish List, and check back regularly. The price may go down depending on the demand. I do not think anyone knows this deal other than ones who see this thread ^^. As soon as the price goes below $20, I would snap it up.

Oct 4, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #30 of 32
I think the following info may be useful:

Quote:

They do sound "like" $100 phones. But IMO they are not truly comparable to those headphones. You will notice slightly less clean bass/lower mids, slightly weak lower treble, and somewhat strong treble (which you already did). Note I used the word "slightly." They are kind of moderately well balanced. I can confidently say that they are comparable to any good, major-brand headphones retailing at $50 - $80 (e.g., AKG K518LE, Creative Aurvana Live, Senheiser HD 429, etc), basically telling that they can compete with things costing double their price.

By the way, if you can play with a good EQ software like Electi-Q or Rockbox built-in EQ, you will be able to obtain better tonal balance by slightly increasing the upper mids / lower treble (from 1.5 to 5 kHz) by about 2.5 dB and lowering the treble from 8 to 12 kHz by about 2 dB.

EDIT: Here is the EQ setting I use:

Filter 1
Center Freq: 2700 Hz
Gain: 2.5 dB
Bandwidth (BW): 2.5

Filter 2
Center Freq: 9500 Hz
Gain: -2.0 dB
Bandwidth (BW): 1.0

You will hear much better tonal balance. If you feel the treble still a bit too much (it sounds fine to me), you may adjust the gain of Filter 2 (e.g., -3 to -5 dB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back