COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #181 of 207
I listen to electronica, jazz, and combinations thereof. Daily driver is the DT1350.

Yesterday I auditioned the 600 and 650, fully expecting to buy the 650 based on its sound signature and my tastes. In the end I walked away with the 600 and it wasn't a close decision. I would strongly encourage you to try them first, as you may be surprised.

I did test both but I also tested the DT 880 and 990. In the end I had to conclude that I still prefer my QC15's over the other four. I have a preference for good bass and the tested headphones did not have that kind of bass level.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Post #182 of 207
The 600. It's one of the greatest pieces of equipment I've seen in 47 years in the hobby. It's nice that some folks find the 580 or 650 better, between the 3 they're a very potent set of choices at what is now considered a budget price. I just hope they keep making them in case mine cakes someday, I wouldn't want to be without them.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #184 of 207
Pleased I could help and thanks for the kind words.

Jul 30, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #185 of 207
Great review! I loved the content and the structure.

I've been out of the forums for quite some time, but a visit to the shop few days ago made me return. I was there to check out the AKG 70x models and quite liked the 701s. As I was listening to them, the sales guy convinced me to try also the Sennheisers. At first I was asking about the 595, but when he learned that I have some headphone amps, he directed me to the 600/650. I was really quite blown away by how good they sounded, while a part of me was still missing the Grado punch.

The reason I looked for this comparison was that I had made the natural assumption that the newer "upgraded" 650 would just trump the 600. After listening to both sets for quite some time, I came away confused as I really preferred the 600s. The 650 sounded kind of bloated (this is a huge exaggeration of course) compared to the 600 so I had to come here to check what other people thought. I was happy to read the review and learn that it's not really as simple as newer is the better. I'm not saying the 650s are bad by any means, just that the 600s were better imho.

I'm now a bit torn whether I should get the neutral Sennheisers or go for the more exciting Grados. Guess I'll give em both few more listens first.

Jul 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #186 of 207
If you get the chance, try the HD800S. It might perfectly bridge the gap for you :wink:

A lot higher cost - but worth it IMO. I still have the HD600, a pair of Alessandro MS Pro (similar to Grado RS1) and of course the HD800S. If I was to sell one, it would be the MS Pro ......

Jul 30, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #187 of 207
Would love to see a HD800 vs HD800s write-up from you one day @Brooko, if you haven't already done one yet! :D

I think your piece on the 600 vs 650 has stood up to the test of time quite well mate!

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #188 of 207
Thanks. Next Senn comparison will be with the 660 I think

Aug 31, 2018 at 3:57 AM Post #189 of 207
HD600s arrived today. From the start they seem definitely better than my HD558s (rubber strip removed mod). I'm not going to try to explain too much but my FiiO X5iii drives them with total ease and I had to check that I hadn't got any EQ applied as the bass seemed fuller than the 558s. I'd have to do some more listening to see if the soundstage any different but I'm happy with what I'm hearing at the moment (Aimee Mann Magnolia OST) and to me they're lovely and flat/neutral etc

Aug 31, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #190 of 207
@trgz - Congrats man, very decent upgrade as they're certainly a different pedigree.

I started out with the HD600's, they were my mature purchase in this hobby many moons ago, alas I've moved over to the dark side (not too dark! :D)....HD650's!

Does the X5 have balanced out?

Aug 31, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #191 of 207
@trgz - Congrats man, very decent upgrade as they're certainly a different pedigree.

I started out with the HD600's, they were my mature purchase in this hobby many moons ago, alas I've moved over to the dark side (not too dark! :D)....HD650's!

Does the X5 have balanced out?
It does, and coincidentally I posted the question on a new thread earlier - any thoughts? (I guess you might...)

Aug 31, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #192 of 207
Have a look for some aftermarket 2.5mm balanced cables for the HD600's, I'd take advantage of that feature if I was pairing it with the X5's!

If you do, let us know your thoughts! :D

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #193 of 207
Dang it. I was nearly set on the HD 650. Then I came across this comparison. Written so well that I'm now in doubt whether I should get the HD 650 or the HD 600. So I went back and listened to the sound demos for both headphones again and again. Big surprise, on average they're about even (although I think I would give a slight edge to the HD 650) - I felt the HD 650 was a touch warmer and wider, which suited some songs better than the cooler, narrower HD 600. I'm aware this is relative and it's a bit hard to draw conclusions based on a single sound comparison, but it's the best I can do. I'm leaning more and more towards the HD600, simply due to the price difference. One last thing I'd like to clear up is which one would be better for metal? Brooko, you mentioned that the HD 600 and HD 650 are too close to call when listening to rock, so I'd imagine metal wouldn't be far off from that? Especially considering I mainly listen to heavy metal, with Iron Maiden being my favorite, though I do occasionally throw some heavier bands like, Gojira, for example in the mix.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #194 of 207
Dang it. I was nearly set on the HD 650. Then I came across this comparison. Written so well that I'm now in doubt whether I should get the HD 650 or the HD 600. So I went back and listened to the sound demos for both headphones again and again. Big surprise, on average they're about even (although I think I would give a slight edge to the HD 650) - I felt the HD 650 was a touch warmer and wider, which suited some songs better than the cooler, narrower HD 600. I'm aware this is relative and it's a bit hard to draw conclusions based on a single sound comparison, but it's the best I can do. I'm leaning more and more towards the HD600, simply due to the price difference. One last thing I'd like to clear up is which one would be better for metal? Brooko, you mentioned that the HD 600 and HD 650 are too close to call when listening to rock, so I'd imagine metal wouldn't be far off from that? Especially considering I mainly listen to heavy metal, with Iron Maiden being my favorite, though I do occasionally throw some heavier bands like, Gojira, for example in the mix.

I have the 600 and 650:and I would not want to sell either. Buy one now and buy the other next year

Sep 4, 2018 at 3:36 AM Post #195 of 207
I guess it depends how you like your presentation. If you like things a little warmer, go the HD650. If you prefer a slightly cooler tonality, go the HD600.. You can’t really go wrong with either though.

It’s a pity the HD660S is so expensive as it bridges the gap between the two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back