COMPARISON / REVIEW (Part Deux) : A tale of two Sennheisers – HD600 vs HD650
Nov 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #76 of 207
Any Vedder in there Rizki? 
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #77 of 207
Yeah Vedder is a must 
biggrin.gif
 Maybe I am biased, but 'Last Kiss' simply sounds astounding with the HD600. That doesn't say it sounds bad with the HD650, it's just I enjoy it more with the HD600.

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #78 of 207
It does seem that the HD600 is way easier to get good sound of from an amp, cause as I had posted before the HD600 sounds good from any amp I've tried it with, while the HD650 is pickier regarding amp (sounded absolutely veiled with the Magni). With the XLR-out (thanks, Paul!) of the HDVA600, they both became more similar than different. 

In other words, HD600 is easier to drive than HD650. Right, 62ohm?

Nov 8, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #79 of 207

It does seem that the HD600 is way easier to get good sound of from an amp, cause as I had posted before the HD600 sounds good from any amp I've tried it with, while the HD650 is pickier regarding amp (sounded absolutely veiled with the Magni). With the XLR-out (thanks, Paul!) of the HDVA600, they both became more similar than different. 

In other words, HD600 is easier to drive than HD650. Right, 62ohm?

'Easier' won't be how I describe it, I'd say 'less picky'.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #81 of 207
So after nearly a week with both, I came to the same conclusion as Paul's (Brooko) - the HD600 and HD650 are more similar than they are different. I was expecting some sort of night and day difference between the two, and either one of them would sound much better than the other for a particular type of music - but this is not the case in my experience. 

At first, I was going to try to post my opinion on both by going through track by track from differing artists and see which one I prefer for a certain track, but the truth is, I can live happily with either one of them. Granted, I am not an experienced reviewer and my ears may not be as good as people around here, so take my words with a grain of salt.

The only significant conclusion I can pull off is this: If I have to choose only one headphone to live with, it would be the HD600. Yes the HD650 sounds sublime, but IMO its laid-back presentation may (and would) not appeal with every type of music, while the HD600 to me sounds more balanced. But if my goal is to get a laid-back, relaxed headphone, or to complement brighter headphones the HD650 would be the one I take.

In essence, if you are looking to get either of these cans, don't ask "which one is better?", but ask yourselves "what is my goal with it?".

Once again I would have to thank Paul for the loan, it has been a really eye-opening experience for me. I'm going to send his HD600 back tomorrow as I'm sure everyone is interested in his take on how the HD600 compares to the HD800.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #82 of 207

580/600/650

I have reviewed all three , each is a love affair , rather slight differences .  
I adjust to each one , individually .   With each I come to calibrate for it . They are lovely Transducers , probably as good as dynamic transducers can be , I've heard the HD 800 with it's matching Amp and easily would adapt to it leaving the others .   
I've also discovered these devices improve with equipment , I'll reevaluate when I get a Professional level DAC such as the Yggy or Antelope or dsc or MSB in my system for a goodly time , settled in , sonically adjusting myself .  
The Sennhiesers are a good place to be , probably an End-Game kind of thing , making me wonder why I might need a Planer with it matching High voltage Amp requirements but I may just adjust to those too leaving the Sennhiesers .   

Tony in Michigan 

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #83 of 207
I think the HD600/50 bridge the gap between high end and consumer headphones. If I were to introduce a novice to medium tier headphones it would probably with these. Most likely, they would be reassured by the familiar warm sound (mid bass) but impressed by the extra detail and openness.

Nov 12, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #84 of 207
It's interesting how things progress.

Back when they were introduced, the 600 (and later the 650) WERE the high end of headphones. They were Sennheiser's flagships, which competed with headphones from Grado. These two companies represented the vanguard of mainstream, quality headphones (there were, of course, models from Stax, Koss, and upscale models from Sennheiser itself, that were more of a niche/specialty market, which arguable were the true state-of-the-art at that time).

Funny that now these are now considered the middle or middle-upper range of headphones. The market has really taken off.

It's great though that these headphones are still running strong. It attests to their true classic design and performance.

It seems that the 600 is a really great value considering their performance is pretty much a matter of preference compared to the 650, and that they list for so much less.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #85 of 207
The one thing I'm really curious about is whether there was a larger sonic difference between older 650 and 600s, which has since been changed by the gradual evolution of drivers.  Either way though, I agree with you KT - these two headphones are definitely Hi-Fi - we've only recently started referring to them as mid-fi as the cost of TOTL has escalated.  On performance, both the HD600 and HD650 deserve their place close to the flagships, especially if you also take value into account.

I have an HD800 with me for the week, and currently comparing that to the T1. Should have my HD600 back next week, then will also compare the two Sennheisers (HD800/600).  That should be an interesting proposition.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #86 of 207

I have an HD800 with me for the week, and currently comparing that to the T1. Should have my HD600 back next week, then will also compare the two Sennheisers (HD800/600).  That should be an interesting proposition.

Maybe it will seem a bit odd , but despite their obvious differences I find the HD800 shares some family ressemblance with its older brothers.  the Youngster is more airy, brighter , faster , with more extension but undoubtly in my mind there're some ressemblances.

i'm interested in your T1 vs HD800 impressions too. I gave mine a few weeks ago but I'm always interested in other Head-fiers opinions.

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #87 of 207
T1 vs HD800 is very interesting.  Quite similar signature when you first directly A/B - but the more time I spend, the more contrast I'm finding. I've only spent around 8 hours with the HD800 so far (big weekend planned though) - and still getting my thoughts together.

Needless to say, some of the preconceptions I had regarding the HD800 have proven to be groundless, and the more I listen, the more I appreciate what it offers (on my perhaps limited gear).  More on this once I get more listening time.

Hint : was expecting massive, endless soundstage, and very bright presentation.  Didn't get either (this is good).  What I'm getting is very accurate an holographic presentation, and tonally stunning depending on the source material.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #88 of 207
  T1 vs HD800 is very interesting.  Quite similar signature when you first directly A/B - but the more time I spend, the more contrast I'm finding. I've only spent around 8 hours with the HD800 so far (big weekend planned though) - and still getting my thoughts together.

Needless to say, some of the preconceptions I had regarding the HD800 have proven to be groundless, and the more I listen, the more I appreciate what it offers (on my perhaps limited gear).  More on this once I get more listening time.

Hint : was expecting massive, endless soundstage, and very bright presentation.  Didn't get either (this is good).  What I'm getting is very accurate an holographic presentation, and tonally stunning depending on the source material.

I've heard it sound overly bright with a massive soundstage and I've heard it sound accurate and holographic. I found the HD 800 sound overly bright and unpleasant when I first tried it, leaving a bad first impression, it seems something may of been wrong with that particular HD 800 or some of the earlier HD 800s sound different, all I know is the owner hated that particular HD 800 and bought a newer pair and enjoyed the new pair a lot more. Later auditions with the second HD 800 proved much more favorably to the point where I may eventually pick up a pair. 

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #89 of 207
  The one thing I'm really curious about is whether there was a larger sonic difference between older 650 and 600s, which has since been changed by the gradual evolution of drivers.  Either way though, I agree with you KT - these two headphones are definitely Hi-Fi - we've only recently started referring to them as mid-fi as the cost of TOTL has escalated.  On performance, both the HD600 and HD650 deserve their place close to the flagships, especially if you also take value into account.

Actually you should get your HD600 back by tomorrow, I'm very curious on how do you think the HD600 compares to the HD800.

Nov 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #90 of 207
Going to be a busy weekend  - that's for sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back