Comparison Review: Gilmore Lite DPS vs Elpac
Mar 9, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #16 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for another great review, how close was the Lite w/ DPS to the GS-1?

I wondered about that too, and asked him but he said the gs1 was definitely a step up, because the power supply section isn't just the dps integrated into the amp, it's actually a more robust and different design..

Mar 9, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wondered about that too, and asked him but he said the gs1 was definitely a step up, because the power supply section isn't just the dps integrated into the amp, it's actually a more robust and different design..

ahh good info, i thought it was the same power supply.

GS-1 also comes standard with an ALPS pot while the G-Lite uses something cheaper and smaller.

Mar 9, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by euclid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for another great review, how close was the Lite w/ DPS to the GS-1?

Like I said, the GL v2 w/ DPS is a step towards the GS-1, and if I had to estimate, I'd say it's about 70-80% of the GS-1's performance.

But while that might sound close, I find that the GS-1 simply outpaces even the GL v2 w/ DPS in every aspect in ways that IMO are instantly obvious. To use the three-curtains analogy again, I find that the GS-1 removes all 3 curtains, not just the first. It's also much more transparent on the input signal, and has a smoother, deeper, clearer bass that's better integrated into the spectrum and doesn't come off as unbalanced. Deep if needed, and very smooth, like a giant hand of mystery sinking into the ground to scoop up notes you don't even know are there. Instead of the GL's forwardness it has more of a warm-blanket sound, and there's a finesse over the treble response that's not aggressive at all. Extremely black background both at rest and during playback and soundstage is simply peerless on it - with the K701 and AD2000, it allows you the feeling of looking anywhere you want without restriction. The GS-1 isn't 100% transparent to my ears either, but it's a lot closer than the GL, and its versatility can't be overstated.

Lest this come across as possibly over-stating my praise of the GS-1 though, I have found a few minor areas in which it's not entirely ideal however, and I'm literally banking on my next (and intended last) amplifier to correct those areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back