[COMPARISON REVIEW] Best Sub $100 USED Headphones !
Jul 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

mvrk10256

100+ Head-Fier
There are a lot of people (myself included) that came to this site looking for information on how to get into the audio game. We see these threads all the time. People want to know what the best bang for the buck is... usually under $100. Generally they get pointed to the M50 or whatever. However a lot of us are adventurous, we like to mod, and we have no issue buying used. This is why I have put together this comparo. So the question is what is the best set of headphones you can buy under $100 used. 

For science:
-Computer (flac - no eq - vol matched) -> Modded Bravo V2 - Amperex Bugle Boy Tube -> Headphones
-All new prices from Amazon (better prices may be available)
-Playlist:
1. Train - ASAP Rocky
2. Welcome to the Family - Avenged Sevenfold
3. Get Lucky - Daft Punk
4. Yellow Brick Road - Eminem
5. Golden Parachutes - Hawthorn Heights
6. Levitate - Hollywood Undead
7. m.A.A.d City  - Kendrick Lamar
8. Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin
9. Angel  -  Massive Attack
10. Comfrotably Numb - Pink Floyd
11. Haifisch  - Rammstein
12. 75 Bars - The Roots
13. Singing Man - The Roots
14. Smooth Operator -  Sade
15. Hang on to your Love - Sade

Total time: 1:15:16 - I did each headphone nonstop in this order. 

I did not have any classical music to sample at the time, but I feel like this list covers all the main genre's pretty well. 

All ratings are out of 5 points. I have used our perennial cheapy favorite - Monoprice 8323 - as a baseline. Notable missing entries - AKG K240, ATH M50, A900x (hard to find but doable). 

Monoprice 8323:

Average New/Used Price: $28.75  / ? 
Build Quality: 3/5
Treble: 2.7/5
Mids: 3/5
Bass: 3.2/5
Soundstage: 3/5
Comfort:3.5/5
Modability: 4/5

General Notes:
The intro level cheapies are actually quite good. For under $30 new these are worth much more. They are almost entirely build with screws so they are easy to dissassemble. While they seat well on my head, and seal quite well. My ears get a little hot after a while. The pads are somewhat cheap feeling, but at this price point its expected. While the headphone itself is made from decent plastic the short cable is crap. It failed after 3 days in my pocket. I contacted MP but they wanted me to ship the whole kit in to exchange the cable, and it wasn't worth it. If you want something dirt cheap to beat up and throw in the backpack - this is it. They also have good articulation and fold up nicely. When worn they look rather square look and the headband either adjust a bit too tight or a bit too loose - I have a big head so it may be me.  On the sonic side, these headphones really fall through on songs like Get Lucky. Those nice highs are just not there and the whole song sounds flat. They have nicer lows, but it just doesnt quite match the rest of the competition. They seem to do pretty well for rap music, Eminem is not as brigh as the others but it works.  On comfort, they are pretty comfy, but my ears get warm, and the pressure on my head is just a touch too high. when the music ended I was happy to yank them off my head. 

Audio Technica - ATH-AD700:

Average New/Used Price: $99.95  / $75
Build Quality: 4.2/5
Treble: 4.2/5
Mids:4.3/5
Bass: 3.7/5
Soundstage: 4.6/5
Comfort:4(stock) 5/5(modded)
Modability : 4.5/5

General Notes:
A bit of a pain to break down and mod, but they are my go to headphones. I use them for normal music, relaxing, gaming, ect. They have an excellent open soundstage. No strong bass here, but its there so I can comfortably listen to my rap and hip hop. Comfort is king in the long term, and that is where the ATH really excel. I can wear them for hours on end, and not even notice they are there. AFter the comfort mod, they slip over my ears and block out most background noise well enough. For instance I cant hear myself typing right now, where as with the grados I could clearly hear every keystroke at the same volume. If you were going to buy one set and keep it at home this is it. Granted the stock color scheme is pretty hidious but basic DIY skills can repair that pretty simply. 

Grado Labs SR80:

Average New/Used Price: SR80i - $99.00  / $80
Build Quality: 4/5
Treble:3.7/5
Mids: 4/5
Bass:3.2/5
Soundstage:3/5
Comfort:2/5
Modability : 4/5

General Notes: So I managed to snag these bad boys for $25. I have added L cush pads, and a $12 padded headband. These mods make the grado's usable. The stock pads, and stock headband made me hate them. I mean what is the point of a headphone you can only wear for 30 minutes at a time. The thing about the Grado's is that you either love the sound or your don't, and I definitely don't. They are pretty punchy in the mid, but the bass is lacking, and the treble isn't really there like I want it to be. Modability suffers a point due to them being glued together as opposed to the others in the test that use screws, however build quality is up to snuff for the price. I posted a DIY on doing a single sided plug a while back that shows the ins and outs of these headphones. The stock cable is very thick, and runs to both sides. Its a nice style item, but not quite as long as I like my desktop cord, and way too long for portable. On a positive note putting on 75 bars show that these guys are right up there with the V-MODA's for punchiness. 

V-MODA Crossfade M80:

Average New/Used Price: $140  / $100
Build Quality: 5/5
Treble:4.1/5
Mids:4.2/5
Bass:4/5
Soundstage:4/5
Comfort:4/5
Modability: 5/5

General Notes:
I managed to snag these used off Ebay for $80 shipped. I got the full kit with case and cables. Let me say this first. This is the highest quality built headphone set I have ever personally held. Metal covers, smooth headband. Everything about this kit shows quality. It appears that it is head together with screws making mods easy. However as it already has a removable cable, and very plush pads I am not sure what you would want to mod. A note - these are the on ear units, not the larger over ear units. The headband is padded, but I would have preferred something more plush. These are also the "coolest" looking headphones here. They are very slick. The bass is there but its not heavy. More snare and mid rather than bass. I thought the mids and highs were great. Very punchy, and in your face without being uncomfortable. Its a very "fun" sound as has been mentioned in the other reviews. The full spectrum really comes out on Avenged Sevenfold's Welcome to the family. The guitar solo's sound magnificent. Other reviewers have mentioned that there is a bit of a lack in treble, I did not feel this at all. Maybe since mine were used, and probably have quite a bit of time on them, I thought there was lots of upper sparkle, like Get Lucky - sounded great - but this may also be related to the mods on my Bravo.  After over an hour, I was not in a rush to take them off but when I did my ears definitely sprang back - they are a bit tight, but like i said earlier I have a large head. Eminem and the Roots are really great on these - if I had to describe them in one word it would be punchy. 

TL;DR.
-Monoprice 8323 are cheap and they sound cheap, but probably best in its price range
-ATH-AD700 - My favs for home, but not very portable. 
-Grado SR80 - Lots of mids, not much else, uncomfortable. For sale!
-V-Moda M80 - Punchy, fun sound. Great build quality. A solid all arounder.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back