Comparison between VE6 /8 and UE18+
Jan 29, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 20
What are your preferences in terms of what you would like from a signature?

Here are two reviews that might be interesting. They are by the same reviewer, so although he does not compare them directly, it might still be informative.
UE18+: http://theheadphonelist.com/rank-8-ultimate-ears-ue18-pro/
VE8: http://theheadphonelist.com/vision-ears-ve8/

I have heard all three, but only briefly for a demo, so I can't give you much in terms of comparisons. I remember the UE18+ to have outstanding tonality (I fully agree with Nic's review there), the VE6-X1 were a little too forward in the treble for my personal preferences (excellent quality treble nonetheless) and the VE8 amazed me, those just ticked every box for me. That said, the UE18+ have long topped my wish list and I can highly recommend a demo!

Jan 29, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 20
Great, thanks for your reply!

I Heard the 18+ and found it superior. With a bit harsh treble.
In General I like that Sound.. A bit pushed lows and strong mids..
Tomorrow I can test the ve6 and 8.. Hope to make a decision then..
Bad Thing is I Do not have the Sound of the UE18 in memory... So comparison might be a bit Tricky

Jan 30, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #5 of 20
Hey. I Managed to listen to the vision ears ve6 and ve8 today. And yes living nearby is quite nice. But with the UE I have the opossite situation.. So far sawaz
The v8 amazed me in treble.. But the lows and bass were so heavy and strong it punched over the low mids..

The ve6x2 was versteht nice and clear. Strong and neutral.
The ve6x1 sou des a it damped and too strong either.

The UE 18+ were outstanding in my memory.. But I do not fully remember the sound and the ve6 really hit my expectations.. It is it getting easier...

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 20
Nice to hear you enjoyed the demo and it seems like you are really liking the VE6 X2! It is great that those meet your preferences so well. Vision Ears make strikingly beautiful CIEMs and I wouldn't mind having some of those myself. (The VE5 are demo units I have on loan, but I would like to buy them at some point in the future.)

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #7 of 20
So what I heard from you is, that you prefer the 18+ over the ve6 and 8 ?
I will receive the ve 6 and 5 for a weekend test in the next weeks and hope the same for the 18+ (if the vendor is fine with that). then I can compare tghem side by side.

Jan 31, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #8 of 20
So what I heard from you is, that you prefer the 18+ over the ve6 and 8 ?
Purely based on sound I preferred the VE8, but they are priced outside of my budget. The VE6 X1 I found a little too forward in the treble, but I am quite treble sensitive. The UE18+ really appealed to me because of their accurate tonality and smoothness, as well as vocals. That said, I have held off buying the UE18+ because of the Empire Ears Phantom.
I will receive the ve 6 and 5 for a weekend test in the next weeks and hope the same for the 18+ (if the vendor is fine with that). then I can compare tghem side by side.
That is excellent! Being able to spend more time with the VE6 will really help you make the best decision. Fingers crossed you will get demo units for the UE18+ as well!

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #9 of 20
Purely based on sound I preferred the VE8, but they are priced outside of my budget. The VE6 X1 I found a little too forward in the treble, but I am quite treble sensitive.

Thats funny how different peoples hearing is :)
For me the VE8 were way to heavy in bass and the treble was absolutely gorgeous.
But I almost everywhere need to set the bass a bit down because I am too sensitive in this area.

And yes, budgetwise it is the same for me, VE8 are out of range, but a nice device to compare.
I will let you know If i get the 18+ for a longer test. Thanks for your wishes.!

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #10 of 20
Yes, it is really interesting and why I feel there is no substitute for actually hearing the IEMs. I have seen a few people around that either do not like bass or are sensitive to it, making it quite fatiguing if the bass is too heavy. With the VE5 I have started to like a brighter sound, but they also have attenuated treble (they are all about the mids). I will, however, also always be a little bit of a bass-head. :D

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #12 of 20
Could you please tell us what player you use ? Thanks

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Hey, I tested the devices with the following setups:
  • Galaxy S8 paired with Soundblaster E5 (high noise, solved by IEMatch)
  • Galaxy S8 paired with AK XB10 (everyday mobile setup, medium noise, solved by IEMatch)
  • Sony WM1Z (no noise at all)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #14 of 20
Much appreciated. So without the IEMatch you found the VE8 too boomy even on the WM1Z (without EQ) ?

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 20
Ah no.. i think what I said was easy to misunderstand.
I found them boomy at the beginning, but after listening to them for a while, with IEMatch and without didnt make a diference there, I got used to the sound and started to love it.

I have no idea why I thought it was too boomy at the beginning :) Now I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back