Compared: New 2005 Editions of Beyer DT880 and DT990
Jan 30, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #46 of 57
I just read the description of the Beyer DT-660 (from Beyer):
"Extreme bass for soul, funk, hip-hop, house and techno."
This is not what I am looking for, a priori.
The DT-770 would be better in that case, no? (except more expensive, of course)

Maybe the DT-860 would be a good alternative (money wise) to the DT-880?
I guess I have to look more in the forum!

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:53 PM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Maybe it is best to go for closed headphones, given that it is sometimes hard, on week-ends, when my girlfriend plays the piano a lot! (During the week, I am at work when she practices...)
But I don't know what is most important to me: this, or sound quality?

Being closed or open doesnt affect soundquality THAT much. Functionality evens the odds. Closed back just reverbates more easily, which is both good and bad thing. Bass gets way more depth that way, but its not most accurate always, and sound might get "claustrophobic" for some people. Open also has more air in sound generally, but outside noises destroy musical bliss easily.

Jan 30, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #48 of 57
Very nice review, it answers questions of many Beyer's lovers. I am very satisfied with my DT880/2005, and really want to know how it compared with DT990/2005, and have the answer now.

Jan 30, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #49 of 57
Even though this is an old thread, this is the first time I noticed it.
Good review JensL.

8140david, also check out the older Beyer DT770pro 80ohm. Can be had for around 140$us. The new DT770 2005 is also a consideration. I remember there was a short comparison (maybe by skylab) about the differences between the DT770 and the DT770pro.

Either one will work for your needs though.

Jan 31, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #50 of 57
Thank you for the highly efficient and very practical reviews. The nagging desire for me to exchange my DT880 2003 for the DT880 2005 has become less pronounced, so I think I'll stick with the older model (which I believe has the same drivers as the newer model, anyway).

The DT880 is really an excellent piece of head gear that has de-throned the HD650/600/580 and the AKG K710/501 over the years. Right now, I am a/b-ing it with the Sony MDR-SA5000--and the DT880 is really giving the Sony a run for its money!

Bravo, Beyerdynamic!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #51 of 57
Cheers to JensL for not succumbing to the pressure to automatically overestimate the newer and more expensive headphones. Those old versions really sounded great, no need to slight them in comparison with the new versions as some reviews have done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure if I like the change in appearance either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P.S. could they have made the new models any uglier? It would be hard to do...
rolleyes.gif

I completely agree with these sentiments. A little shiny metal and fancy padding do not constitute good design-- in fact they're generally used to hide its absence, as they do here. Going by appearances, I'd take the old DT990 any day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually own an almost new DT531... it's really comfy, but it might not be as durable as the DT770/880/990. No big issue, though.

You might be right, the DT531 might have a sound signature in between the DT880 and DT990, but as far as i recall, it also loses quite a bit of resolution and details, so it's not the perfect phone.
It was one of the best deals in its time, though. Extremely easy to like.

Agreed here as well. The DT531 is very clearly not able to compete with its bigger brothers in terms of resolution and detail, likable though it is.

And for me a DT531 and an old DT990 (non-pro) are completely comparable in comfort. The most comfortable executions of practically the same frame design were done by Beyer's erstwhile competitor MB Quart, whose "cardamatic suspension" does away with the two-point weight distribution of the relatively simple Beyers-- so rather than a pivot point, they have a ring at the side, with four elastics suspending the earpiece in the middle, evenly weighted where it contacts the head and with zero microphonics. I thought it was a gimmick until I had a pair with it.

Jan 31, 2007 at 10:41 AM Post #52 of 57
Thanks for all the kind words, people! Most appreciated.

But please don't take my reviews for The Absolute Truth. I'm just an average Joe listening, and trying to write down what I hear/feel. I definitely doesn't feel that I have golden ears. I don't think they even qualify for bronze. :)

Read as many reviews as you can, and if possible, try the gear out for yourselves.
YOUR ears are in charge. :)

Jan 31, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #53 of 57
This is a great review - it should be very helpful for anybody shopping Beyerdynamic's high-end. The only thing it's missing is a review of the 770's
evil_smiley.gif

I prefer the look of the old DT880's to the new domes.

Mar 17, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #55 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by barshnik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My curiosity was too great - pretty happy with my 2-week old 880's, but just ordered new 990's to give a try.

I'll let you know what I think when they arrive.

John F

I've had them both for a couple weeks now, and both are (pretty much) broken in.

I really like the 880's a lot - teriffic air, extreme detail, accurate reproduction across the frequency spectrum (yes, leaning toward treble though).

That siad, I've already sold them after deciding to keep the 990's. Yes, less detail, air, and midrange. A more listenable sound quality to my ears, though. I found I was able to listen as long as I wanted without fatigue, but the 880's with some material, after time, could make me start getting tense for some reason.

Both are exceptional, but in the end the slightly warmer sound of the 990's won out over the highly detailed sound of the 880's - slmost more of a 'tube' sound vs. 'solid state' of the 880's.

I'm sure my souce had a lot to do with this (iPod, LOD to Hornet), but I'll certainly miss the 880's...

John F

Users who are viewing this thread

Back