Coming week will be Cowon J3, Fischer Audio DBA-02, and then, what portable amps, if any?
Jun 13, 2011 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GregVDS

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

So,

I decided to go serious about music on the go. I have Hi-End CD player and amps at home, with some serious headphone amps made myself, driving Grado SR-325i.

Now I chase the dragon for some time, dreaming of my sony DD Quartz walkman of old, but decided that the time had gone indeed, and that iPod having made the revolution since Sony, now was the time to upgrade.

After some reading, I decided to order a Cowon J3, for its high capacity and sound quality (claimed, still no experience). After that, I checked my gear, and portable headphones of real quality were nowhere to be seen. Came back here and read some, and then some more. I decided in the end to order the Fischer Audio DBA-02.

Ok, Now, the last and only thing I don't have portable and that I immensely enjoyed at home is Crossfeed filter. So, the only solution for that would be a portable amp.

I found Practical Devices XM6 has it, and Headstage Arrow too. What else could be considered in that field?

And a complementary question. If one ignore the Crossfeed need, How would a iBasso D12 compare to the two first given here?

Ok, Shout out your recommendations and appreciations, you what will be the source (J3, stuffed with the best codecs that can be used with this platform) and drivers (DBA-02).

I listen to a broad range of stuff, from Classic and Baroque to Hendrix, but all the time appreciate a airy 3D sound, well spaced, with real soundstage and balance. Timbre is very important too, with baroque cello, harpsichords, voices, gipsy guitars, and so on. Lively, not boomy...

Thanks a lot,

Jun 14, 2011 at 4:37 AM Post #2 of 10
I found also the Leckerton Audio UHA-4, that seems to implement Linkwitz crossfeed, and some here find it better than the Arrow (except for size and aesthetic).

Comment on this one welcome too.

Jun 15, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 10
Now I did some DIY headphone amps some years ago (HeadWize was still up and active...).

So, How would a Mini3 compare with the iBasso D12, Practical Devices XM6, Headstage Arrow and Leckerton Audio UHA-4?

Thanks,

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #4 of 10
The XM6 is superb portable AMP/DAC and it sound Dynamic, rich, detailed, powerful with deep punchy bass. It has many extra features and it's small enough to carry arround(highely recommended). Some others AMPs are very good too like RSA Mustang, iBasso PB2, ALORX MK II and Pico.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
I found also the Leckerton Audio UHA-4, that seems to implement Linkwitz crossfeed, and some here find it better than the Arrow (except for size and aesthetic).

Comment on this one welcome too.

Did you read what I had to say about the uHA-4 in my extensive review ? I'm sure others will find the crossfeed more useful, but for me it didnt have any audible effect whatsoever. 

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi,

I read it toroughly indeed :). And was practically convinced this was the one. Except the form and finish of the Arrow is maybe better, but what the heck when it's only about SQ. I'll remake the panels myself if I need to spice it up.

Now Crossfeed, and especially the Linkwitz is a very gentle effect. I put it (Tangentsoft Linkwitz modified filter board) in my DIY amps at home, and coming from off to medium is not very easy to detect, now coming back to off is more obvious, suddenly, the soundstage that was nicely in front of you, very close, but separated, jumps back inside your ears or head, in a very unnnatural manner. Linkwitz is unheard (thanksfully) but its 3D effect is real and mandatory for headphones Listening for me.

Thanks again,

Jun 21, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 10
DISCLAIMER: I don't like crossfeed myself so assume that unless otherwise specified I'm ignoring that part

I have a DBA-02 myself driven by a J3.  I found that I don't need an amp to drive the DBA-02.  That said, I have been looking for amps myself only to compensate for the DBA-02's relatively weak bass.  You may be able to compensate with the EQ or BBE, but of course, it's a matter of taste.  I'd recommend that you wait until you try out the gear you have ordered before deciding on getting an amp altogether.  And if you get an opportunity to try before you buy, I'd highly recommend you do so.

Personally, I prefer cheaper but decent amps with a bass boost feature like the cmoybb and FIIO's E5, E7 and E11.  Other amps that I want to try out are the SoundMagic A10 and the DigiZoid ZO.  I also find the C&C Box V2 interesting as I'm curious about how the vocal enhancement and soundstage expansion sounds.  I think you might get similar results to the crossfeed filter by using soundstage expansion (the J3 has that feature, or at least I think that's what the 3D sound user eq setting option is for), but since I don't use crossfeed myself, don't take my word for it.

Oh and quick warning from a J3 user: in case you're not aware, the J3 has some minor firmware issues that may or may not be fixed in future updates.  One of the minor firmware issues (though some consider this a major flaw) is a playlist track count limitation (max of 399 if I remember correctly) that you can kinda work around of.

Jun 21, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for your advice. Anyway, no money left at the mo for a portable amp. 

And now, right treble of DBA-02 is wrong. Have to send them back...

Hope the J3 will not have the right corner glass up symptom...

Usually, I got ALL the problems possible when ordering something just before holidays takeoff...

Thanks again,

Jun 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #9 of 10
Some news here:

I received the J3 today. I'm really happy that it arrived in time, without too much Customs problems. The J3 is immaculate, no glass corner syndrom.
I'm under Mac OSX and till now, no problem, but I use a special Python script I wrote to delete all hidden files and folders, and then unmount the device.
I achieved at the moment to update FW to 2.25, install Lynx, Sense and Vision UCIs, and put music and pictures on it. It's rather simple in fact.

SNR is far better than the output of my Macbook or iTouch, no comparison possible. Output volume is higher too (Non-Europe country choice to avoid Volume cap).

I'll keep you informed :)

Best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back