Comfort up to the mid $100s range?
May 18, 2016 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shock6822

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm a complete audio newbie
- have a pair of VSonic earbuds that annoy me because the buds on the right side fall off a lot and I can see some exposed wires near the buds, though I did find the sound okay.
-Have a pair of Creative Aurvanas I picked up on sale around $50. Sound is fine, but clamping pressure hurts my head after 30 mins to an hour of listening.
-Have a pair of Beats I was given as a gift. Super uncomfortable, hate them.

...And that's it. What I'm looking for is a pair of headphones I can wear at a few points:
-while traveling on a plane (I fly a lot)
-sitting at my desk for a couple hours here and there
-working out, though the working out part is least necessary.

I'd love a pair of over or on ear headphones, but I just can't stand wearing them for a while. I'd also prefer if other people can't hear my music, since that'd get super annoying on a plane to other folks.

So the question: is this something innate to this style of headphones, or is there something out there that's actually wearable for 2+ hours? Comfort is as important to me as sound, if not more so. I've looked around these forums a bunch, and seen some good things about:
-Beyerdynamic DT770 pro, around $125
-Sennheiser HD598 over ear, around $160
-Philips Fidelio L2, around $160
-Grado sr80e, around $100
-Sennheiser Urbanite XL, around $100
-Sennheiser Momentum, around $200. Probably pushing what I want to spend

Maybe missing something else - who knows. Or maybe on/over-ear just aren't right for me.

Cheers, and thank you so much for the help :)

May 18, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 7
The HD598, L2, and the Grado are all open or semi-open which means your neighbors will hear your music rather easily--probably a no-go for the airplane. Of those you list, I'd say the Momentum is the best portable option. Be aware that the 770 can be quite sibilant and peaky, which can be difficult for some listeners to manage. One more you might consider that is not probably as easily portable as the Momentum but which is excellent in your price range nonetheless is the Takstar Pro 80 ( also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). Very neutral and balanced sound at a very attractive price point. Good luck.

May 18, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 7
  The HD598, L2, and the Grado are all open or semi-open which means your neighbors will hear your music rather easily--probably a no-go for the airplane. Of those you list, I'd say the Momentum is the best portable option. Be aware that the 770 can be quite sibilant and peaky, which can be difficult for some listeners to manage. One more you might consider that is not probably as easily portable as the Momentum but which is excellent in your price range nonetheless is the Takstar Pro 80 ( also known as the Gemini HSR-1000). Very neutral and balanced sound at a very attractive price point. Good luck.

Darn, have heard such good things about the HD598s. I'll check out the Takstar/Gemini, cheers. Any experience with the DT770?

May 19, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 7
The Gemini are pretty good, maybe a used fidelo X1?

May 20, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 7
For flying, I would strongly recommend getting some of the bose noise canceling headphones. Pricey and sound pretty terrible but the noise cancelling is flat-out amazing which is priceless if you travel often. They are also pretty comfortable compared to others I've tried (and the sound isn't THAT bad.) Even with my best isolating IEMs, I have to crank the volume up past safe listening levels to overcome the engine sounds (especially in noisier parts of the plane) which is far from ideal when you need them for 2-3 hours (or 12-15.) I love wearing the bose on planes with the NC on without music just to enjoy the silence. 

Besides that I would recommend the Soundmagic HP150. They sound great, are quite comfy (best of the HPs I have except for the Mad Dogs (which are just ridiculous so not a fair comparison)) and have the best isolation of any over-ear set I've used. They're even better than most of my IEMs and my UE6000s, which are noise-cancelling, at isolating. I have used them on a plane before and they managed but if I was travelling alot I would definitely want some NCs. I've also read about them breaking easily and I could see this happening to mine if I was careless. Luckily they come with a great travelling case which will save you from having to spend another 30$ on one. I would say these are marginally better than the 770's (less fatiguing highs are the main advantage along with better (not necessarily more) bass and they are more comfortable (770s start aching after about an hour.))

Good luck

May 23, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 7
  For flying, I would strongly recommend getting some of the bose noise canceling headphones. Pricey and sound pretty terrible but the noise cancelling is flat-out amazing which is priceless if you travel often. They are also pretty comfortable compared to others I've tried (and the sound isn't THAT bad.) Even with my best isolating IEMs, I have to crank the volume up past safe listening levels to overcome the engine sounds (especially in noisier parts of the plane) which is far from ideal when you need them for 2-3 hours (or 12-15.) I love wearing the bose on planes with the NC on without music just to enjoy the silence. 

Besides that I would recommend the Soundmagic HP150. They sound great, are quite comfy (best of the HPs I have except for the Mad Dogs (which are just ridiculous so not a fair comparison)) and have the best isolation of any over-ear set I've used. They're even better than most of my IEMs and my UE6000s, which are noise-cancelling, at isolating. I have used them on a plane before and they managed but if I was travelling alot I would definitely want some NCs. I've also read about them breaking easily and I could see this happening to mine if I was careless. Luckily they come with a great travelling case which will save you from having to spend another 30$ on one. I would say these are marginally better than the 770's (less fatiguing highs are the main advantage along with better (not necessarily more) bass and they are more comfortable (770s start aching after about an hour.))

Good luck

Thank you for the advice. Do you feel the Bose ones can be worn for several hours at a time? And are worth double+ the price? I'm willing to sacrifice some of the plane noise if it means true comfort (I read the DT770's need the velour pads to be really pillowy). And any experience with the Sennheiser PXC450?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back