Comfort of Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 portable headphones
Feb 2, 2012 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jiggy79

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a pair of headphones to use with my iPod at work and when walking.

My criteria for the headphones are:

- Comfort (want to be able to use them at work most of the day without them becoming uncomfortable)
- Closed (mainly because I don't want leakage to disturb my co-workers; isolation is a bonus but less important)
- No amp required when connected to iPod Classic
- Circumaural/Supraaural only (no in-ear or canalphones)
- Enhanced bass
- Price < $300 AUD

Previously I purchased Sennheiser HD-280 Pro, unfortunately without doing a lot of research.

I sold them within a few weeks, mainly because they were incredibly uncomfortable (like a vice grip on my head) and the sound didn't impress me a lot (especially the lack of bass).

My research has led me to the top contender of ATH-ESW9.

It seems to tick most of the boxes, but the jury seems to be out on the comfort factor.

I was wondering what the verdict is on the comfort.  Has anyone had experience with the ATH-ESW9 and the HD-280?

Are they in a completely different ballpark for comfort?  Can the ATH-ESW9 be warn for a few hours without any major headaches?

I'm also open to other recommendations that fit the criteria above.

Thanks for your time.

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 4
I would go for a pair of V-Moda M80 or V80 Crossfades.  They are on-ear, but are extremely comfortable compared to the ES9W.  The M80 sounds amazing and is built really well.  They are my best pick for under $250 and they are only slightly less as articulate as the DT1350 which is more expensive.

The biggest complaint about the ES9W is the comfort so I would shy away from them.  They are also easily fakes so unless you purchase them from a reputable dealer you may end up with a piece of junk.

Here is the chart for the $300 ES9WA
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=1593

Here are the charts for the $200 or less V-Mod M80 / V80 which measure the same.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/VModaV80TrueBlood.pdf

To me the M80/V80 is the better headphone regardless of price.

Feb 2, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #3 of 4
I have the little brother of the ESW9s, the ES7 and where them for hours at a time at work and find them comfortable enough.   I have to say I have a LARGE head, I'm not sure if or how that effects anything.

I just bought a pair of ESW9s from another Head-Fi member and can't wait for them to arrive.  The V-Modas that NA Blur suggested were also on the top of my list but I have been obsessed about the ESW9s and finally caved in when I found a pair at a reasonable price.  Also consider the Creative Aurvana Live!, they are only $70 and are (almost) the same headphone as the Denon AH-D1000/1.  They meet all your criteria and are inexpensive to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back