Combined DAC+amp needed - tubes for under $600?
Feb 12, 2015 at 1:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dunkyboy

100+ Head-Fier

I need a combined DAC + headphone amp for my desk at work, to drive my MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs.  I’m a tube-o-phile.  My budget is in the $5-600 range.  Am I stuck? 

The only ones I can see are the HifiMan amps (which don’t seem to be well-liked?) and then higher up the Woo Fireflies (too expensive).  Any others to look at?

I quite like the Schiit Lyr, so something in that ballpark but with a top notch internal DAC would be nice…

I’ve got an iFi Micro iDSD, which drives the Dogs just fine, but … it sounds way solid state. :frowning2:  I seem to be very sensitive to the grit and grain in the upper frequencies that’s silicon’s trademark…  And I’m a sucker for rich, delicious tonal colors (without bloat or mushy warmth).  Am I screwed?  Do I need to significantly up my budget?

Advice appreciated.  Cheers,
Dunc

P.S. – The reason it needs to be combined DAC + amp is that my office’s power strip is shared with a dozen other desks (at least) and is just awful.  If I use separate DAC and amp, I get a nasty, LOUD buzz out of the headphones.  Doesn’t seem to matter what DAC or amp I use.  I tried a “Hum-X” hum buster doohickey, but it didn’t have the slightest effect.  So I either need a combined DAC+amp, or perhaps a battery-powered DAC?  (iPhone headphone out into headphone amp works fine, no buzz.)

Feb 20, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 3
project ember is supposed to be good, i like the little dot 1+ for my mad dog pros

May 23, 2015 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Can anyone give me an idea as to which internal DAC is superior in SQ between the Benchmark DAC1 USB versus the Cypherlabs Theorem 720 versus the Woo Audio WA 7 ?? I was thinking that if the DAC in the Theorem is better than the Benchmark to just sell it since I would use the Woo amp and an external higher quality DAC.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back