Colored sound?
Jul 1, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a general rule of thumb

IEMs have armature drivers, like hearing aids, and go into your ear canal. Some go farther in your ear canal than others, non go far enough in that it comes anywhere close to your ear drum or the hairs deep in your ear canal. They provide a complete seal.

Canal phones have dynamic drivers and are inserted into the end of your ear canal. They have foam or rubber tips, like IEMs and seal your ear canal.

Ear buds are like what comes with portable players and don't seal.

Another general rule of thumb is that the farther in your ear they go, the better they isolate.

So for like the same price, do IEMs or full sized headphones provide better sounds? In other words, which one is more "cost efficient"?

Quote:

I'd imagine the mids and highs are relatively clear, although that's really one of those things that depends on each person's ear.

Yes, I's seriously considering them now. 100 dollars FREE shipping to Canada. Now, do the monitor headphones like the HD280 reveal all of the noises of the sound card?

@catscratch, My budget is only 150 dollars, and I don't want to buy an amp. That's why I'm looking at the Senn HD280s.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I's seriously considering them now. 100 dollars FREE shipping to Canada. Now, do the monitor headphones like the HD280 reveal all of the noises of the sound card?

That, i can't say, although there's a HUGE difference between running from onboard audio (at work) and on an Audigy2 (home PC) with my 780s, as far as tonality, bass response, and overall sound, and I'd imagine going to an external amp/DAC would only improve yet again over using a sound card.

You can pick up used amps for pretty cheap in the For Sale section here - I saw a few under $50 while browsing through there earlier today.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by DemonicLemming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That, i can't say, although there's a HUGE difference between running from onboard audio (at work) and on an Audigy2 (home PC) with my 780s, as far as tonality, bass response, and overall sound, and I'd imagine going to an external amp/DAC would only improve yet again over using a sound card.

You can pick up used amps for pretty cheap in the For Sale section here - I saw a few under $50 while browsing through there earlier today.

I use an audigy 2 ZS, not onboard. So would it be better then?

So the sennheisers are the most neutral headphones right? Like the HD280 would be relatively more neutral than the audio technica ES7, A700/AD700 Alessandro MS1, Denon D1000, etc...?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

I use an audigy 2 ZS, not onboard. So would it be better then?

So the sennheisers are the most neutral headphones right? Like the HD280 would be relatively more neutral than the audio technica ES7, A700/AD700 Alessandro MS1, Denon D1000, etc...?

Thanks.

Well, if the sound card is still a PCI/AGP slot card, you'll still theoretically pick up computer noise. As far as to the extent, I honestly don't know.

On the comparisons, I'm afraid I can't help much either - I've only ever heard the 780s and the PROline 2500s, which I own, and the K501s, which I'm hoping will be here before the end of next week. All of that purchasing was done based on reviews I read on here, and thinking about what specific traits each set of headphones had that I wanted for the music I listen to.

$100 for a set of headphones isn't too bad (until it bites...and you have to buy more...no matter what), and if you don't like them, put it down as advancement towards finding that set you really do like, and toss the 280s up for sale on here or ebay.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Well, if the sound card is still a PCI/AGP slot card, you'll still theoretically pick up computer noise. As far as to the extent, I honestly don't know.

On the comparisons, I'm afraid I can't help much either - I've only ever heard the 780s and the PROline 2500s, which I own, and the K501s, which I'm hoping will be here before the end of next week. All of that purchasing was done based on reviews I read on here, and thinking about what specific traits each set of headphones had that I wanted for the music I listen to.

$100 for a set of headphones isn't too bad (until it bites...and you have to buy more...no matter what), and if you don't like them, put it down as advancement towards finding that set you really do like, and toss the 280s up for sale on here or ebay.

Do you think that the Klipsch is not good? I always had great respect for that company, but I don't know about their new line of IEMs. They only started making headphones recently.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Do you think that the Klipsch is not good? I always had great respect for that company, but I don't know about their new line of IEMs. They only started making headphones recently.

They've always been called good in the home speaker market, but that doesn't always translate well into other markets.

I'd say with one of the "cornerstone" brands that people discuss on here, especially if you're on a budget and don't want to experiment.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #37 of 51
Quote:

They've always been called good in the home speaker market, but that doesn't always translate well into other markets.

I'd say with one of the "cornerstone" brands that people discuss on here, especially if you're on a budget and don't want to experiment.

That makes sense.

So sennheisers are known for neutral sounds right? Like the HD280 won't be more colored than the audio technicas and the denons?

So what kind of sound card will not have static? Like an external USB one?

Thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 5:33 AM Post #38 of 51
On second thought, are mainstream headphones from plantronics actually better for blocking sound card noise than the expensive and "sensitive" ones?

Because I don't want an 100 dollar headpone bugging the hell out of me with the static, then spending another 100 on an amp.

There are some plantronics with MSRPs over 100 dollars that are like 50 dollars on amazon.

Jul 1, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #39 of 51
Plantronics ? Aren't these more like gaming headphones ? When I played competitive W: ET quite a few of my clan mates had these . Don't remember exact model , but for gaming they said these were pretty good .

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #40 of 51
I decided a long time ago that good sound really can't be defined. It's different for everyone. There are some basic things that will probably sound pretty good to everyone but look at what you have here on Head-Fi (and if you have some time, dip into discussions on audiophilia on Google Groups).

What do we have here? There are a lot of Head-Fiers and once you establish a baseline that many of them agree with, they start to part ways. One guy likes this and another guy hates it. Sennheiser 650s are "laid back". No. They're "in your face". Not at all, says another. They're "airy, yet dry".

Think of it as the paint color on a car. As long as it's a quality paintjob, there will be someone who likes it no matter what color it is. Even if it's banana yellow.

Because of this, it's really nearly impossible to just ask a bunch of people what sounds good and get an answer that you'll agree with. I'm not sure there is such a thing as uncolored sound when it comes to headphones. I think the best you can ever really do is more or less colored. People can't even agree on the same models.

It's taken me years of reading to try and sort just exactly what "good sound" is and I still might be wrong. I enjoy it but it's a good thing I don't have anything better to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

Of course you have to amp it, at 300 ohms it can't be driven straight out of a headphone jack.

I'd just like to add that when I owned the HD 600, none of my portable players had trouble driving it to deafening levels, It also sounded very good straight out of an mp3 player. Of course it sounded better out of my Woo 3, but still it was very neutral and punchy. Just thought i'd share that...

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by randomprecision /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided a long time ago that good sound really can't be defined. It's different for everyone. There are some basic things that will probably sound pretty good to everyone but look at what you have here on Head-Fi (and if you have some time, dip into discussions on audiophilia on Google Groups).

What do we have here? There are a lot of Head-Fiers and once you establish a baseline that many of them agree with, they start to part ways. One guy likes this and another guy hates it. Sennheiser 650s are "laid back". No. They're "in your face". Not at all, says another. They're "airy, yet dry".

Think of it as the paint color on a car. As long as it's a quality paintjob, there will be someone who likes it no matter what color it is. Even if it's banana yellow.

Because of this, it's really nearly impossible to just ask a bunch of people what sounds good and get an answer that you'll agree with. I'm not sure there is such a thing as uncolored sound when it comes to headphones. I think the best you can ever really do is more or less colored. People can't even agree on the same models.

It's taken me years of reading to try and sort just exactly what "good sound" is and I still might be wrong. I enjoy it but it's a good thing I don't have anything better to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, I just want the "least colored", and doesn't reveal the static noises from sound cards.

Jul 1, 2008 at 2:50 PM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
With toast, butter is great. With steak, What!

You'd be amazed at how many people actually do this. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but there's a classic French recipe that calls for herbed butter on steak.

There's a very popular restaurant chain in Green Bay that's claim to fame is putting butter on hamburgers

Jul 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #44 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You'd be amazed at how many people actually do this. I can't think of the name off the top of my head, but there's a classic French recipe that calls for herbed butter on steak.

There's a very popular restaurant chain in Green Bay that's claim to fame is putting butter on hamburgers

In the UK it's quite common to put some butter with spices or herbs on a steak right after it's grilled.

Jul 1, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the UK it's quite common to put some butter with spices or herbs on a steak right after it's grilled.

I know now why are frenchies and other EU tourists complaining about British cousine
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back