Cnet needs to hear from us
Jul 8, 2011 at 12:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
I have loved Cnet for years. I think it is a great place to get reviews on a wide spectrum of tech. I have disagreed with a thing or two I have seen there before, but in general I trust their opinions. I saw an article on the front page yesterday that has me questioning everything I have ever read there. 

The list I linked says it is the best noise canceling headphones. When it was on the front page yesterday I believe it was displayed as the best noise blocking headphones, which would make the list even more embarrassing.

I was hoping I could get a number of people to email the editors to let them know that what they are allowing their reporters to print is grossly inappropriate, and cause to believe that all of their articles are suspect. 

Apparently the Beats Studio's have an "exceptionally crisp and balanced audio response with a tight low-end and warm mids." I was unaware of that from my experience with them.

I have linked both the article and the list of contact emails. I will be emailing Scot Ard, the Editor in chief, to let him know of my displeasure.

I know this is not the first thread here relating to Cnet and Headphones, but maybe we can do something about it. I think they do an excellent job reviewing TV's for instance, maybe we can bring their headphone reviews up to that standard. Cnet is a site for the masses, not the niche market like ours. I know no one here would buy a pair of headphones because they give it a good review, but others will. It is hard to make fun of everyone wearing Beats/Bose, when they believe through no fault of their own, that they own the best. Five years ago I would have.

If enough of us talk, they may listen.

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-noise-cancelling-headphones/?tag=
http://www.cnet.com/cnet-news-editors/

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #3 of 8
1. Cnet is SPONSORED. That means they can post whatever they like to. There is no right to correct them.

2. Monster is an advertiser, they can pay off Cnet to have them post what they wish.

You need to understand, that's how the world works. If you really want to stop this sort of actions, try fighting the larger side of the idea: Fox news, North Korea, Cuba, Russian Ideals, Christian dominating, ect. I'm trying to start a big discussion, but this is how the world works.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
Apparently the Beats Studio's have an "exceptionally crisp and balanced audio response with a tight low-end and warm mids." I was unaware of that from my experience with them.

Apparently Cnet guys ears are failing when it comes to headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #5 of 8
Cnet is biased in many ways.

I have followed them thorugh the years because it's a good place to start when considering the purchase of electronics. However, I have noticed that lately they are biased towards Apple computers. And it's not just more positive reviews for Apple, but also more negative reviews for its competitors.

They are obviously being influenced by sponsors.

They have one guy who reviews audiophile equipment. His name is Steve Guttenberg. He has a column called The Audiophiliac. He has done reviews on headphones and amps. I'm sure he wasn't included when they put together that list you mentioned, though.

If you insist on getting in touch with them, I suggest you start with him. I doubt it will make much difference in their coverage, though. When Monster pay for advertising, they expect to get special treatment.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 8
I read Steve's articles. He is much better informed that the rest of the Cnet audio teem. I don't think he works directly for Cnet, so I don't think he is bound by their practices. I emailed the Editor in chief and also intended to email Steve Guttenberg but forgot. 

I know they do a lot of Apple coverage, Brian Tong anyone, but I always thought of that more of giving the customer what they want. People love news on Apple, so they bombard you with it. That helps bring people to the site. I rarely give time to adds online, so I am not sure if Apple advertises there or not. I personally use Macs, not that I think they are better. That's all I will say on that because I don't want to derail the tread. There is already too much Mac/PC bashing on Internet forums. 

There are plenty of Reviewers who engage in shady practices, it is just disappointing to one of my favorite sites has gone that way. I know companies need to make money, but it becomes widely known that Cnet takes money in return for reviews, their credibility and viewership could take a dive. 

That is why I don't trust 6Moons, or for Cameras, Ken Rockwell. I have heard some of the larger Stereo Magazines fall into the same pit. 

I was hoping is we could make our opinions heard they might realize people are catching on. If we are lucky maybe maybe it is just a few reviewers getting kickbacks and Cnet is oblivious. That still would not speak well for them.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
1. Cnet is SPONSORED. That means they can post whatever they like to. There is no right to correct them.

2. Monster is an advertiser, they can pay off Cnet to have them post what they wish.

You need to understand, that's how the world works. If you really want to stop this sort of actions, try fighting the larger side of the idea: Fox news, North Korea, Cuba, Russian Ideals, Christian dominating, ect. I'm trying to start a big discussion, but this is how the world works.

What he said

Users who are viewing this thread

Back