cmus - C* Music Player
Apr 15, 2024 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Vamp898

Headphoneus Supremus
Because i am doing a lot of TRPG Sessions as a GM and was looking for a proper solution to remotely control the music on the players side (which is important to me as it adds a lot to the atmosphere), i discovered the joy of console music players.

My current TRPG Soluton is an MPD Server that i remotely control using ncmpcpp (NCurses Music Player Client++) and because i fell in love with this solution, i was looking for an similar solution to just listen to offline music.

And then i found cmus (https://cmus.github.io) which i just love. It takes 0.5 Seconds to startup with an Music Library of ~350'000 Songs and switching/searching for songs is so fast and simple and everything just works. It just works.

I know that Console Music Players are absolutely out of question for a lot as you have to control them using a keyboard, but for those who do not get a paralysis thinking about that, i can highly recommend that little piece of excellence.

Its only 850kb in size, works on all operating systems and has a very good documentation. It can easily handle multiple libraries spread over several locations, it doesn't care if an external harddisk is not attached (you just can't play the music) and so on.

So its very robust, fast, simple and has tons of features

It also handles all languages (including searching) perfectly fine

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back