cMoy Volume pot question
Apr 14, 2005 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

chaostic

Head-Fier
I have been looking at the schematics for the cMoy and have to ask, why place the volume pot infront of the amp? Why not place it after it? Cause wouldn't a volume pot placed before it act exaclty the same as the sources volume pot?

--
Side question, has anyone used photo flash capaciters in a cMoy? I have about 90 flash circuits from various disposiable cameras around, and I could salvage them for a couple of cMoys.

Apr 14, 2005 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaostic
I have been looking at the schematics for the cMoy and have to ask, why place the volume pot infront of the amp? Why not place it after it?

This would have advantages WRT noise, however it would give you an output impedance that depends on the volume setting, with high values in the middle of the pot's range.

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #4 of 5
Another reason is if you're driving the amp with very "hot" output (i.e., high output level), if your volume pot is not at the input side, your amp could be driven to clipping. A volume pot at the input side will prevent that from happening simply by turning down the volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back