CMOY line out pass thru idea?
Apr 30, 2007 at 3:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pkshiu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I am planning to build my first CMOY. I will be using it on my desk, between my laptop's docking station's line out and my "soundbar", a speaker bar (with a headphone out!) on my DELL LCD.

What I want to do is to have a switch so that I can switch the line out between going into the CMOY or going to the speaker bar, so that I can toggle between headphones and speakers:

Code:

Code:
[left] +------- cmoy ----------> headphones line out ----- line in jack -> *toggle* + -- line out jack --------> amplified speaker[/left]

Hope that make sense.
My question is, should I use a 3PDT switch for L/R/Ground for the signal, or can I get away with a DPDT and tie the single grounds together? Also -- does the switch quality matter?

While I am here, I also have a question on voltage -- I have seen people use just 9V to power the CMOY. Is that usable? I am planning on using a rail-splitter, but not sure if I should go with 9 or 18V (batt), or use a wall wart.

Thanks!
P.K.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #3 of 8
a DPDT would work. given the gear you're going to use it with, I wouldn't worry much about the quality. of course, some may break / malfunction easier than others, but otherwise it isn't a huge concern IMO.

battery voltage would be dependent on what opamps you want to use. some have a higher minimum input voltage than others.

Apr 30, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DivxRipPimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like an a/b switch for a 3.5mm jack... there has to be something like that...

Sorry. I meant to have the switch on the CMOY box itself. So it becomes a "all-in-one" solution. i.e. I plug line out, speaker line in, and headphones all to the box. I was a little surprise to see how expensive the toggle switches are compare to the electronics!

Apr 30, 2007 at 2:50 PM Post #6 of 8
You can do it without swich. Just solder parallel lin in jack second - lin out jack for speakeramp.
Wen you listen to headphones, turn off speakers or volume on speakeramp.
Wen listen to speakers, switsh off CMoy to save battery.

Zigis.

Apr 30, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Cmoy has a article in the Headwize library for building a switching device. Very straightforward.

If you will be using the CMoy at your desk consider a DC jack and powering the unit from a wall transformer. You can use a "closed" DC jack (refer to Tangent re wiring hardware) and use battery or wall transformer.

The standard CMoy draws about 10 ma @ 12V at rest or idle and perhaps a bit more playing.

Have fun.

F

Apr 30, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by fortney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cmoy has a article in the Headwize library for building a switching device. Very straightforward.

If you will be using the CMoy at your desk consider a DC jack and powering the unit from a wall transformer. You can use a "closed" DC jack (refer to Tangent re wiring hardware) and use battery or wall transformer.

The standard CMoy draws about 10 ma @ 12V at rest or idle and perhaps a bit more playing.

Have fun.

F

Thanks for the pointer to the Headwize article. I looked in there but missed that little gem.
http://headwize.com/projects/showfil...=cmoy7_prj.htm

I guess the short answer is just a DPDT, common ground, since I don't need anything extra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back