cmoy altoids case question - drill bit size?
Nov 23, 2005 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cazoo

100+ Head-Fier
what size drill bit are you guys using to punch holes into the altoids case for the input/output jacks, LED, and volume knob?

or are you using another method? thanks.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
what size drill bit are you guys using to punch holes into the altoids case for the input/output jacks, LED, and volume knob?

or are you using another method? thanks.

don't use big size bit at the first try. use small one and try the hole with the jack then change to bigger ones, take your time. if the biggest bit still doesn't fit, use the fine file to enlarge the hole.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #3 of 12
I used a single hole paper punch on my mint. It makes clean holes without burrs. You might want to practice on a sacrificial tin to make sure your punch works. If the hole is too small, the punch works as a nibbler too.

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #6 of 12
Naturally the hole size is going to depend on the specific parts. "Some" like a 3.5mm minijack for headphones, is typically 1/4". A 5mm LED without a holder is a close fit with 3/16" bit (little undersized, nothing a file touchup won't fix). With a holder it depends on the holder- some of the black plastic types have an ouside-lip diameter of roughly 5/16" and a 4/16" hole will work but there's only a little margin there, precise drilling helps.

Volume knob varies too, get out a ruler and measure yours. Presuming it has a fastening nut and/or washer, use those to gauge the bit size to barely fit in the washer or slightly larger diameter than the ID of the nut.

As others mentioned, a hole-punch can do well for the minijacks. A round file is great for expanding a hole for an LED with holder.

Another alternative sometimes mentioned is to fill the tin with water and freeze it, THEN drill it. Very sharp split-point bits work better for thin metal. Even then, it's possible to rip the side out of a hole (odds go down when it's full of frozen water) making it helpful to drill a smaller hole and file it out to desired diameter.

Nov 23, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cazoo
i'm off to home depot ...

and/or Office Depot
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 12
I used a hole punch from the 99cent store and it worked perfectly, for many many holes too. It did bend in the end but from a thick stack of papers, not the tin. If your handle is bent and you're about to throw it out anyways, unbend the handle by opening the hole punch and pulling. Then snug the punch up to the hole and use a bigger pair of pliers to grip the punching end/squeeze.

Nov 24, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 12
The smaller hole enlarged with a file is my default setting. I haven't wonked a tin yet with this method. Finding the center, so the lid will close completely is a biggie too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back