Closest IEM to the HD800
Jul 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FraGGleR

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't expect that any IEM could replicate the open, detailed spaciousness of the HD800, but what comes closest?  I might have to move entirely away from headphones to IEM's exclusively and am trying to get an idea of what my choices are.  I listen to a lot of classical so ability to reproduce details in space is the biggest thing I want.  I would prefer solid bass capabilities because the other genre I listen to most is electronica type stuff.

I won't say price is no object since it is always a consideration, but I am possibly replacing my entire main rig so the money is there for a TOTL IEM.  I would prefer not to get customs, but if that is the way to go, then so be it.

Jul 16, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 8
The best universal is ie800.

Jul 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks. Have you two listened to those IEMs and the HD800s? I'm familiar with what the TOTL IEMs are, but would like sound comparisons if possible.

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #5 of 8
I've only listened to the HD800, but not the 3003 yet. From what people say, they are similar in some aspects (to the HD800) sound wise. It's hard to find a user who owns them where i live unfortunately. 
confused.gif

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
I've only listened to the HD800, but not the 3003 yet. From what people say, they are similar in some aspects (to the HD800) sound wise. It's hard to find a user who owns them where i live unfortunately. 
confused.gif

I've heard both recently but not side by side and I thought the AKGs had some more punch and wasn't nearly as unforgiving and the treble wasn't as shrill either. Personally, I liked the K3003 more, but YMMV. 

Jul 17, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
I've heard both recently but not side by side and I thought the AKGs had some more punch and wasn't nearly as unforgiving and the treble wasn't as shrill either. Personally, I liked the K3003 more, but YMMV. 

Great, thanks.  You say not as unforgiving.  Would you say that it was less detailed or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back