Closed 'phones and soundstage?
Nov 29, 2007 at 4:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sarchi

500+ Head-Fier
So far my headphone journey has been very positive. I'm a longtime speakerphile, and the one area I get a bit hung up on is the soundstage, or lack of it. Not that it's a show stopper, but since so many here tout this and that soundstage, I thought I'd ask.

With closed 'phones (lower end Senns and now W1000's), my impression is of being, at best, on the stage, in the middle...with the players to my left and right. There's some "height", but I'm basically "in the middle of it". If that makes sense. As opposed to being in the 10th row, with a tall and deep illusion of instruments on a 'stage'.

Am I missing something? I've been reading about crossfeed but haven't had a chance to try it out....it sounds like it's more for people who can't tolerate the point source nature of headphones(?), from what I've read the jury is split over whether it helps create a more 'natural' stereo field.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:56 AM Post #2 of 5
HRTF. It's not just an unpronounceable acronym. head-related transfer functions matter.

Nov 29, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #3 of 5
why only closed phones? I agree that a lot of closed phones can sound just that- closed in.

But I think AKG has done a great job- the k240 has incredible soundstage. and also the k340. (I dont get a good fit on the k340, so I dont like them, but everyone here seems to say good thigns about soundtage)

the woodied hd650's by headphile also have great soundstage.

Also the edition 9's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back