Closed over ear headphones wanted for $300
Jan 22, 2013 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Evanc56

New Head-Fier
I currently have the bose OE 2's but I want something with more sound quality. They need to be over ear and closed. Comfortability is a priority. I have a 300 dollar budget but I could go higher if there is a good deal. I will be listening mostly on my android phone with a beats audio chip. I want them to be portable (a case or bag would be nice). Recommendations for an amp would also be great. I know this is a lot to ask but recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jan 22, 2013 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 8
Hello!

Didn't get to try those Mad Dogz but I find the Sony MDR-1R sound best for portable under $300. It comes with a carrying pouch, it folds flat and detachable cable. As for sound quality, I find it excellent for a closed headphone specially for portable use. Soundstage is good considering it is a closed headphone.  

Just my 2cents

Billson 
size]

Jan 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #6 of 8
The Momentum's MSRP is a little higher than $300, but with an online sale, coupon or at Razordog Deals, you might find them lower. At $300 or below, they're a worthy contender - they sound really nice. I can't compare direct to the 1R as I've yet to try that one, but I really like the sound of my Momentums. The bass is punchy, and definitely emphasised a little (but not much - they're just north of neutral to my ears), and the overall sound is quite detailed, which should do well for all kinds of rock.

Portability-wise, they are a very small headphone, but they do not fold flat. They are great around your neck, but should you need to carry them in a bag, their case is rather bulky. My bag can always fit the Momentum (the sound is worth clearing some space IMO :D), but it's something to note - the case is large, but very protective.

If you have ears of average or small size (less than 70mm, say), the Momentum's small earcups should fit you pretty well and be very comfortable. I also reckon you'll be rewarded with great sound for a closed, portable headphone at the price.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 8
The Momentum's MSRP is a little higher than $300, but with an online sale, coupon or at Razordog Deals, you might find them lower. At $300 or below, they're a worthy contender - they sound really nice. I can't compare direct to the 1R as I've yet to try that one, but I really like the sound of my Momentums. The bass is punchy, and definitely emphasised a little (but not much - they're just north of neutral to my ears), and the overall sound is quite detailed, which should do well for all kinds of rock.

Portability-wise, they are a very small headphone, but they do not fold flat. They are great around your neck, but should you need to carry them in a bag, their case is rather bulky. My bag can always fit the Momentum (the sound is worth clearing some space IMO :D), but it's something to note - the case is large, but very protective.

If you have ears of average or small size (less than 70mm, say), the Momentum's small earcups should fit you pretty well and be very comfortable. I also reckon you'll be rewarded with great sound for a closed, portable headphone at the price.

1R sound better compared to Momentum at a lower price. Build quality fall short thought :)

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
I currently have the bose OE 2's but I want something with more sound quality. They need to be over ear and closed. Comfortability is a priority. I have a 300 dollar budget but I could go higher if there is a good deal. I will be listening mostly on my android phone with a beats audio chip. I want them to be portable (a case or bag would be nice). Recommendations for an amp would also be great. I know this is a lot to ask but recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Heya,

For your needs, without an amp, for rock:

Sennheiser Momentum
Sony MDR1R
AKG K167
Denon D600
Ultrasone HFI 780

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back