Closed, over-ear headphones for music (under 250$)
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

123Sound321

New Head-Fier
Hi! I recently bought a pair of Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (over-ear) which I'm thinking about returning, they were slightly small for my ears which caused them to be unwantingly uncomfortable. I am therefore looking for a better alternative before taking any action. (Bought them at 210 dollars)

First off: I'd prefer closed and over-ear headphones, and the two main criterias are sound quality and comfort - though a good performance in the other aspects would be nice as well (build quality, looks, etc.)

Source: Laptop pc / samsung phone

Where it will be used: Mostly at home, but sometimes in public as well (train, buss, library, etc.) It would therefore be nice if the headset wasn't too bulky or odd-looking.

Isloation: No need for active noise canceling, however good passive isolation would be nice.

Music genres: Mostly pop and EDM. (Marina and the diamonds, Shakira, Vigiland, Alan Walker, Selena Gomez, etc.) - One more thing possibly worth mentioning: I mostly listen at a low to medium volume, rarely high.

Past experience: Starting headset: hyperx cloud (comfortable, quite good sound) - Sennheiser Momentum 2.0: I was in most aspects very happy about this headset, however they turned out to be quite uncomfortable after wearing them a while. I very much liked the sound though, which I believe benefitted my softer music taste. (Compared them to a friends Audio-Technica ATH-M50X and while I found them better at rock - which I rarely listen to, I very much preferred the momentums for most other music.)

Budget: Under 250 dollars (2000 NOK). Useful websites for Norwegian price comparisons and availability: prisjakt.no or prisguide.no

Any suggestions?

Jun 19, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Meze 99 Neo. $200 usd. Was trying to understand the website you gave for conversion ha. I think they are simply a knockout. Check out some reviews on it and from people on here. Excellent price/performance and not to mention fits your genres VERY well.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #3 of 13
I echo the Neo rec of @MTMECraig. I would also add to that a K550 Mk II/III and a SoundMAGIC HP151. I think either of those could potentially work as well. Maybe read about them and see what you think. It is conceivable one could work.

Jun 19, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 13
Meze 99 Neo. $200 usd. Was trying to understand the website you gave for conversion ha. I think they are simply a knockout. Check out some reviews on it and from people on here. Excellent price/performance and not to mention fits your genres VERY well.
THIS, THIS AND THIS!

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 13

I've been looking at a few reviews and it seems like a really good option, but unfortuneately I can't seem to find them shipping to Norway at a reasonable price. Amazon UK doesn't seem to ship to Norway, and with ebay there is a really big customs fee.

Jun 20, 2018 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 13
I've been looking at a few reviews and it seems like a really good option, but unfortuneately I can't seem to find them shipping to Norway at a reasonable price. Amazon UK doesn't seem to ship to Norway, and with ebay there is a really big customs fee.
Awe I am sorry to hear that :slight_frown:. Did you check to see if there were any Hifi stores that have them?

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 13
I echo the Neo rec of @MTMECraig. I would also add to that a K550 Mk II/III and a SoundMAGIC HP151. I think either of those could potentially work as well. Maybe read about them and see what you think. It is conceivable one could work.

I am curious about the ''SoundMAGIC HP151'' headphones. Would you happen to know how they compare to for example ''Audio Technica ATH-M50x'' or ''Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro''? (which are in the same price-class) Especially in regards to sound quality and comfort.

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 13
I am curious about the ''SoundMAGIC HP151'' headphones. Would you happen to know how they compare to for example ''Audio Technica ATH-M50x'' or ''Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro''? (which are in the same price-class) Especially in regards to sound quality and comfort.
In my opinion: Comfort--DT770>HP151>M50X; Sound Quality: HP151>>DT770>M50X.

From my perspective, as far as SQ goes, the HP151 is clearly the best sounding of the three. It is just slightly v-shaped so the sibilance of the DT770 and the muddy bass of the M50X are completely absent. It is quite detailed. Good stage for a closed HP. It punches far above its price-point in performance. Highly recommended, IMO. Of course, YMMV, as always.

Jun 20, 2018 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 13
If you are not treble sensitive or are already used to headphones that have a presence or sibilance region increased, then the DT770 is an easy winner in that price range. It feels like having a seat in a theater with the big bass and great midrange. Great headphone and you can EQ the treble if that is too much. Apart from that region that headphone is flat and neutral. Among the most neutral headphone you can get.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #12 of 13
I recently bought the 770 but I personally could not tolerate the treble, especially when at work where I was listening for hours at a time. I found it unnatural sounding and too sibilant. Aside from that they sounded good, nice detail, resolution and clarity, it just wasn't my cup of tea. I had the 32 ohm model, supposedly the 80 ohm doesn't sound as prominent. I also wanted something more portable in the end. I just sold them recently.

After that I was deciding between the B&O H6 and the Meze 99 Neo. I had the chance to go to a B&O store and tried the 2nd Gen H6 and was very impressed. I bought them that day for 250. I'd like to try the Maze someday. The main reason I got the H6 was because I got to try them before buying lol. Plus they're supposed to sound a little more neutral than the Meze (gen 2 has very slight v-shape, strong sub-bass but slight mid-bass/low mid recession. Male vocals lack just a bit of depth but have great clarity. Female vocals sound great.) I also liked them for being slightly more portable than the Meze. I suggest checking them out. The 99 Neo might be warmer sounding as it has a lot of mid-bass I've read. Depends on what you prefer. The H6 is probably brighter but I can say it's non fatiguing. I like that nothing in their sound signature is offensive.

I suppose you can't go wrong with either, they're both recommended quite often around here for that price range.

Jun 23, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back