Closed K601 = ????
Apr 5, 2010 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

iamthecheese

100+ Head-Fier
While I really like the sound of my k601s(aka a more musical, less analytical k701) and especially after an SPC recable which made the guitars feel like they had even more power behind them.
Unfortunately their open backed nature tend to bug the crap out of those around, and let noise in. Not a good combination for my coming college career.

So, in my planning ahead I'll be looking for a 'closed k601', I'm not expecting the exact same sound. I'd like something with a decent soundstage that has that k601/701 sound. Kinda hard to describe, but if you've heard it you know it.

I'd like it to be lower impedance to with my diy minimax which i plan to keep for awhile.

If that's not clear to anyone, please say so and I'll try my best to clarify.

Andrew

Apr 5, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #2 of 7
Give the K271 a shot. I've not heard the K601 but owned a recabled K701 and found the sound signatures similar. It's an incredibly isolating headphone with very little leakage, at least on my head. The MiniMAX will also drive them perfectly; they don't require amplification but do really benefit from it. They sound great out of my PPAv2.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the suggestion, I hoping I can find somewhere to listen to them before I buy.

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd try the Shure SRH840 - outstanding isolation and a frequency balance that I think you'll find to your liking.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 7
As Jezz wrote, I also think the K271/2 comes close...

Apr 6, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 7
I'd expect a small soundstage considering its close vs open. If I can hold out on my purchase long enough I may be able to hear some k271s at CanFEST in august...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back