Closed HP for classical $300-800 (list of what I don't want inside :D)
Jan 23, 2011 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

svyr

Headphoneus Supremus
Ahoy,

Mostly listen to Piano/Violin solo or P|V & orchestra recording. Occasionally listen to rock/metal (the shameful power metal or sympho metal types, along with some classical rock).
Need a pair of comfortable closed HP

Tried W5000 (headband comfort, bass to rolled off), D5000 (etched, unpleasant upper mids, afraid the pivot cups will snap, very bumped bass), D7000 (still bumped bass, same for pivot cups), Z1000 (recessed mids, bad headband comfort), Sony MDR-CD3000 (questionable build, bumped bass, strangely colored sound, but otherwise quite nice)

Out of ideas, need some suggestions for closed hp suitable for classical (warm mids and highs ok, but not overly so, definitely no recessed mids), but not with recessed or bumped bass. Shouldn't be > 120ohm, since all of my amps aren't great around >= 300

Ideally I'd like something similar to SA5000, but closed and with a bit less deep bass roll off.

p.s i really am fine wrt to open ones, so don't suggest any please

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #3 of 64
I really liked the AT ATH-W1000x with classical, it had excellent mids and adequate soundstage. The bass was also not as prominent as the Denon line.

as far as I can tell, w1000x is not suitable as uses same headband as W1000x. Also, need thicker pads, since my ears touched the W5000 ones and it was quite uncomfortable (could've stuffed the pads, but wouldn't have fixed the headband comfort). heh.

Did hear W1000x at a melb meet. It was quite nice otherwise.

Jan 23, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #4 of 64
How about the AKG K 271/272?

I owned the 271 a long time ago and I remember loving them for classical and classic rock, even without a dedicated amplifier.  Plus, they isolate very well and have a flat, neutral character.  Some say they are "bass-lean", but I found the bass just perfect and tight and from what I've read on these forums, they scale very well along with amps.

I'm actually thinking about purchasing a pair again.

Jan 23, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 64
How about the AKG K 271/272?

I owned the 271 a long time ago and I remember loving them for classical and classic rock, even without a dedicated amplifier.  Plus, they isolate very well and have a flat, neutral character.  Some say they are "bass-lean", but I found the bass just perfect and tight and from what I've read on these forums, they scale very well along with amps.

I'm actually thinking about purchasing a pair again.

I was thinking of getting either AKG K271 MkII or 272HD, but I've never tried it, so I'm a bit cautious (even thought of buying another K340, but it's hard to get a good pair :D ). Was also considering Beyer DT770, but seems they have very bumped bass.

The way you listed 271/272, is there no substantial difference between the two? edit: ops, nvm http://www.head-fi.org/search.php?search=AKG+K271+k272hd

Jan 24, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 64

Quote:
p.s anyone think beyer t5p might be suitable? although I have no clue where I'd get a pair even for 800

Definitely worth checking out, although the only place you'd get them anywhere near your budget would be used.

There's a Kenwood that hasn't gotten too much feedback, and there's one or two JVC models (Victor 700 and 1000) that you might check out.

Maybe try the W1000 or other vintage A-T woodies.

Possibly some custom IEMs.

Maybe MarkL/Lawton modded Denons.

I do think you could get the W5000s where you want but it'd take modding, EQ, and/or careful voicing of source/amp.

You could try Ultrasone Pro900s, but I'd guess you wouldn't like them if you felt the D5000s etch. Likewise, they're known for bass quantity.

Jan 24, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 64
hmmm so much for me trying to get the dx1000 from one of the people at head-fi (I do wonder about people saying it has nice mids though...?0... maybe not a good idea after all. wrt above suggestions of w1000 and w5000. again, definitely not an option - the at bs 3d wing bs headband is not comfortable for me. that pretty much rules out ALL AT hp for me. (unless earlier model headband wings are different to W5000)

wrt to d5000/d7000 - definitely no, my pair of d5000 was markl modded and was not at all to my liking. (bass included - too strong, but also the painfully etched upper mids at some point). The D7000 was stock (too much bass), but I wouldn't want $600 worth of hp + money sunk in mods and earpads that's threatening to snap in 3 and has a questionable ending sound-sig + resale value... (*cough* pivot joints)

wrt T5p I can't recall seeing a used pair on head-fi at all =(. To be honest, I don't even know where to get a new pair (aside from HP.com, but errr...yea). Again, with the price of over $9000 and not really having tried them, bit risky to get a pair.

maybe i'll buy that pair of DT48e after all just for the laughs...or K272 or K340... Things aren't looking of I must say :D (for my wallet that is)

Jan 24, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #11 of 64
I would definitely not recommend classical on the D7000's. I'd check out the 271 and t5

for classical I wouldn't want bassy, so no Denons, no DT770's

Jan 24, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #12 of 64
Hey there svyr !
Have you thought about something like the DT880 / 250 Ohm? They will definitely not be too bassy for you. Crystal clear and brilliant without sibilance. Good mids and an amazing soundstage with wide dispersion. (Most who hear them think the 600  Ohm is 'better', but you restricted the ohm recommendation).
wink_face.gif

We obviously hear things very differently, or our rigs are producing a very opposite synergy. I love the D7000 for classical. I think they are amazing, but I am pushing them with the Benchmark DAC1-Pre. This may be the reason. The synergy is outstanding. Also... did you give the D7k a good break-in period? I found that the bass decreased and tightened with time.

Cheers.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #13 of 64
Hey there svyr !
Have you thought about something like the DT880 / 250 Ohm? They will definitely not be too bassy for you. Crystal clear and brilliant without sibilance. Good mids and an amazing soundstage with wide dispersion. (Most who hear them think the 600  Ohm is 'better', but you restricted the ohm recommendation).
wink_face.gif

We obviously hear things very differently, or our rigs are producing a very opposite synergy. I love the D7000 for classical. I think they are amazing, but I am pushing them with the Benchmark DAC1-Pre. This may be the reason. The synergy is outstanding. Also... did you give the D7k a good break-in period? I found that the bass decreased and tightened with time.

Cheers.

Shane, what year DT880? Also, isn't it kinda open? I already have my SR-507 for open :wink: .

WRT D7000 it was out of SPL Auditor with Burson discrete opamps in the melb meet. (incidentally the amp was driver by DAC1 :D ) . The opamps are supposed to mellow the amp out a bit though.

Not idea whether the D7000 were well broken in. They did look reasonably used though.

Jan 25, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 64

Quote:
Shane, what year DT880? Also, isn't it kinda open? I already have my SR-507 for open
wink.gif

WRT D7000 it was out of SPL Auditor with Burson discrete opamps in the melb meet. (incidentally the amp was driver by DAC1
biggrin.gif
) . The opamps are supposed to mellow the amp out a bit though.

Not idea whether the D7000 were well broken in. They did look reasonably used though.

Um yeah, now I feel kinda dumb... read the line that you're ... "fine wrt open ones", and I guess my brain stopped there.
redface.gif

Yeah the DT880's are way open. Mine are 2005 series. But the D7000 are so transparent to sound... they might as well be open. So you probably wouldn't want them for that reason either.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back