Closed Headphones that Tie or Edge out Grados for Metal?
Aug 14, 2011 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

NonApplicable

100+ Head-Fier
I've been in a massive internal conflict to decide if I should keep my Grado SR325is headphones. The problem is definitely not the sound, but the portability. I really need something I can lug around with me on bus commutes and not look completely idiotic wearing them. The Grado SR325 design really grabs my attention because of the minimalistic look with the flair of the Silver housing. 90% of what I listen to is either Metal or Hardcore, and the Grados are amazing at representing these(as I'm sure you know). I love the focus they put on the higher frequencies(especially making those guitars shine). They are almost perfect except the annoying reality of being open. I will be buying a solid state amp soon for $200-300, so I don't mind amping to achieve good SQ.  Does a closed headphone exist that can provide something better or similar to Metal and look good doing it? 

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #2 of 19
It's going to be more of a competitor to Grado SR125 than SR325, but the KRK KNS 6400 has excellent mid and high response that really makes crunchy guitars and vocals shine, not to mention drums. They're closed, lightweight, and look a bit more studio-esque than Grados. They are really enjoyable with my metal collection. But, again, SR325 might outclass them a bit even in areas where they both perform well. Not sure.

Aug 14, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 19
There is the KRK KNS 8400 that is supposed to be similar, but better. At least worth an audition if you have them locally.

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 19
Heya,

SRH940.

All the forward mids and highs of a Grado. Little/no sibilance. Good impact and bass extension. Closed. Very comfortable. Portable. Easy to drive, but does benefit amplification. Detachable cord, two types. Full review in my sig if you want to know more about them.

Very best,

Aug 14, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #7 of 19
You are going to struggle if you want equal or superior presentation for metal than the
325i's. Agree though, wearing them out in public makes you feel like a demented
audio nerd in the eyes of others with their practical in-ears.

End of the day they are an indoors can as evidenced by the standard 1/4 plug.

You're going to have to 'settle' for another can or get a second set for on the go.

Maybe someone well versed in metal friendly IEM's can suggest something?

Otherwise, Malveaux's tip for the 940 sounds like a winner. 

I won't recommend the ubiquitous M50, it's ok for metal but nothing compared to
a Grado.

I did meet a guy once who plays in a local metal band with a really nordic metal sound.

He swore by his Sennheiser 280 Pro when they were mixing the final recording
so that could be one avenue for a number #2 phone.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #8 of 19
Why is Grados recommended for metal anyways...?
I heard Grados with metal and hated them. Always preferred a large soundstage and good instrument separation so I can tell where each instrument is placed.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #9 of 19

Quote:
Why is Grados recommended for metal anyways...?
I heard Grados with metal and hated them. Always preferred a large soundstage and good instrument separation so I can tell where each instrument is placed.

Guitar timber, nothing else comes close to a 325i for my ears during a Kirk Hammett or Joe Satriani solo.

The lack of soundstage can back-fire though as you say with a recording like 'Metallica & the San Francisco Orchestra'.

Cramped.

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #10 of 19
But timber can usually only be heard in slower songs. I do prefer fast solos, and I prefer the crisp sound of the audio technicas. :)
Grados just sounded much too small for me

Aug 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
     Guitar timber, nothing else comes close to a 325i for my ears during a Kirk Hammett or Joe Satriani solo.

The lack of soundstage can back-fire though as you say with a recording like 'Metallica & the San Francisco Orchestra'.

Cramped.

Haven't heard the 325i, but I find myself grabbing my SR80i for guitar driven metal. The best balanced cans I believe for metal are the Denon D7000, It does all sub-genres really well and has a decent soundstage. So I assume the D5k and D2k would follow. Strangely I found myself using my AD700 for black metal, as it produces the best atmosphere, too bad I don't have them anymore.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
But timber can usually only be heard in slower songs. I do prefer fast solos, and I prefer the crisp sound of the audio technicas. :)
Grados just sounded much too small for me

Any particular Audio Technica models? AT is a fresh field for me having never heard (and owned) anything outside of the M50.

@Staxxx

I'd imagine the entire Denon range would not be short on impact. Another can that has piqued my interest and that could be a potential answer for the OP could be the Ultrasone Pro 990. Some are saying that it plays fairly well with metal outside
of it's electronica mainstay, conversely there appears to be debate over how it presents acoustic guitar for some
Metal passages.

Ditto on the SR80i for metal as a portable. Fantastic on the bowls which add some much needed depth and width.

Aug 14, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #15 of 19
Again, what do guys think about the headphones I posted?

How are you guys using the 80s as a portable? 0 isolation precisely my problem =( 

Quote:
Heya,

SRH940.

All the forward mids and highs of a Grado. Little/no sibilance. Good impact and bass extension. Closed. Very comfortable. Portable. Easy to drive, but does benefit amplification. Detachable cord, two types. Full review in my sig if you want to know more about them.

Very best,

Thank you for the suggestion but they are very ugly IMO. That colour contrast really gets to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back