Closed headphones that compare to Denon2000s in price range?
Feb 11, 2012 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

compoopers

500+ Head-Fier
I've asked this frequently but haven't ever really gotten a complete response.

I'm moving into a dorm soon and my HD555 w/ foam mod leak too much, so I am in the market for closed headphones.

I don't care about cancelling outside noise. I just don't want my noise to leak.

I'm seriously considering Denon D2000s. I know they don't perfectly cancel out sound, but it's far better than my HD555s which can be used as freaking speakers if I put them to 30% volume.

However I was wondering if there were other closed cans that compare to Denons in this price range (250-350 ish). I ask because I know that Denons have 'recessed mids' and 'sparky trebles', and I listen to a lot of jazz so those two things worry me a little. Honestly, I still think I'm going to get them since I've heard various people telling me they still sound good. But I just want to know my options.

Like I said, I listen to primarily jazz, but also classical and hip hop.

Feb 12, 2012 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 9
'recessed mids' and 'sparky trebles'

Mostly the people who say that are the ones with like $4000 set ups going and they compare them to their higher priced headphones. 

Honestly the D2000s are the best at their price point. Don't let that stuff get to your head. They sound great for what you are paying and hell... They even look good. 

Feb 12, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 9
The only closed phones I've heard that IMO compare favorably to the D2000's are the Sony Z1000's,
which are more expensive.

In some ways I like the Sony's more than the Denon's; I certainly find them more comfortable for extended wear.

The Z1000's are a touch heavier on the bass, but otherwise I find the sound signatures of the two phones
quite similar.  The Sony's have better isolation and seem to be driven more easily.

I've only recently re-acquired the Denon 2000's, so I haven't had a whole lot of time to compare
these two phones.  I did take to the Sony's immediately on my first listen; I knew they were 'keepers'. 
And I do recommend them highly.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 9
You don't need 4000 dollar headphones to say the Denons have recessed mids and/or over-exaggerated treble.  There's even cheaper headphones with a flatter frequency response if that's what you're ultimately striving for.  There's still lots of great things about the Denons' sound quality tho.

I've heard good things about the Fischer Audio FA-003.

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 9
Yeah the D2000 mids ARE recessed, even compared to their little brother the D1001.

Maybe check the K550. It's not without its faults (treble CAN get peaky and bass extension is not perfect), but it has a large soundstage, neutral sounding midrange, and pairs fairly well with jazz and classical (don't have hiphop tracks so can't say, probably won't be good).

Feb 12, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Wow! The K550 looks really sick! Can anyone direct me to a thread discussing these headphones? I literally hadn't heard of these until this second...

How does K550 compare to D2000s in terms of sound? I'm planning on amping.

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Wow! The K550 looks really sick! Can anyone direct me to a thread discussing these headphones? I literally hadn't heard of these until this second...

How does K550 compare to D2000s in terms of sound? I'm planning on amping.

They're a recent release.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2k-akg-k271-ed8-shure-940-dt770-an-informal-review/15
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553944/akg-k550-new/780
http://www.head-fi.org/t/588230/akg-k550-vs-some-others-denon-d2k-akg-k271-ed8-shure-940-dt770-an-informal-review/15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back