Closed Headphones - SQ AND No Leakage?
Apr 20, 2012 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TokenGesture

Previously known as avl06
Hey Guys

I need some advice about closed headphones.  I sit in a very small office with my co-worker on the other side of a desk, so sound leakage is a real issue.  I really need a set of closed 'phones that do not leak out.

I've seen recommendations for the DT 770.  But as I will be using these throughout the working day, I want to maximise the SQ, so I'm wondering if you can give me tips on more expensive cans that sound great, but don't leak!

Would the T70 or T5p be the answer? 

I listen to a range of rock/indie/electronic stuff, with a dash of classical in the mix.  

Thanks!

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Hey Guys

I need some advice about closed headphones.  I sit in a very small office with my co-worker on the other side of a desk, so sound leakage is a real issue.  I really need a set of closed 'phones that do not leak out.

I've seen recommendations for the DT 770.  But as I will be using these throughout the working day, I want to maximise the SQ, so I'm wondering if you can give me tips on more expensive cans that sound great, but don't leak!

Would the T70 or T5p be the answer? 

I listen to a range of rock/indie/electronic stuff, with a dash of classical in the mix.  

Thanks!

Heya,

The DT770 and Brainwavz HM5 (FA003) have good passive isolation. Also look into the AKG K550, great isolation there too.

Very best,

Apr 20, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:

Heya,

The DT770 and Brainwavz HM5 (FA003) have good passive isolation. Also look into the AKG K550, great isolation there too.

Very best,

Thanks

I guess part of my question was - if I up the budget on closed phones, will I get the reward sonically, without losing isolation, or does the law of diminishing returns kick in and I'm better off with the cheaper sets.  I'm in the UK where it is pretty hard to audition things to hear for yourself...

Apr 20, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #4 of 14
I share the electronic part of your musical taste and enjoy my AKG K550 very much. Isolation is very good, comfort as well (don't know about summer temperatures yet though...)
If you are comfortable with on-ear you could try the HD25 as well which,in my opinion, fit rock and electronics very well. But with classical I'd prefer the K550 with its wider soundstage and more subtle sound signature.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Might help to know what your going to be plugging the headphones into.
If you do a good job of driving the headphones, you might be able to keep the volume low and still hear the audio more clearly.
Headphone wise the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might be a good choice for you.

Apr 20, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 14
 The Ultrasone Edition 8 are very detailed and they isolate well, few more headphones like ES10, Z1000, D7000, Pro900 are recommended.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #7 of 14
If you don't want to get a full work setup (amp/DAC and all associated bulk) but still want something near top-of-the-line or close to it, my big closed choices for your genres are the T5p and Ultrasone Edition 8, which was already mentioned.

The T5p is a bit more analytical and has a better soundstage, whereas the ED8 is a more biased towards a "pop" sound and has some more bass. Both are insanely expensive for a first-timer, but if you really want to take the plunge there's nothing wrong with that.

Keeping it on a budget, however, the FA-003 and DT770 are my top choices, though if you're running them from an iPod both of them benefit greatly from a portable amp.

Apr 20, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 14
The HD-25 I II's  isolation is one of the best, without losing sound quality. 

If you are considering top tier headphones, you have a good source? 

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for all the replies. My source is lossless files through an Audiolab m-DAC...  Should also say that this is my home office so its my primary headphone listening post, which is why I'm keen to get things singing...

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
The HD-25 I II's  isolation is one of the best, without losing sound quality. 

If you are considering top tier headphones, you have a good source? 

If you're okay with on ears, consider the DT1350. Isolation is a notch higher than the HD-25 and SQ is much much better (I'm talking by a substantial amount) - it's a class higher and the only things the HD25 have over the DT1350 is texture and physical ruggedness. That is my perspective as someone who listens to mainly classical and jazz as well as a mixture of genres except for metal. I can easily say it's the best, if not one of the best portable headphones in the market. They have QC issues though SQ wise - check out the appreciation thread.

Haven't tried the K550/DT770 so I cannot comment on them. I personally don't like any of the Ultrasones  (Ed8, Ed10, Pro750,900) but that's just me.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
 The Ultrasone Edition 8 are very detailed and they isolate well, few more headphones like ES10, Z1000, D7000, Pro900 are recommended.

And what about each of these headphones in your recommendation would you specifically say apply to the OP's musical tastes and needs? There are some pretty huge differences in most of the models you've suggested, so perhaps you can clarify in more detail exactly what you found with each of them in your listening experience?

**That is assuming you have heard/owned them, since you're implying the OP would do well to spend hard earned money on your recommendations?**

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #12 of 14
DT770-80 sound abysmal without serious amplification and merely bad with it (sloppy, bloated bass, screechy highs).  Shure SRH940 have the best sound quality of any closed headphone under $200.  Edition 8 are superb headphones but only provide a ~20% improvement in sound quality for ~500% the price. It's easy to lose perspective at Head-Fi.

Apr 23, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
If you don't want to get a full work setup (amp/DAC and all associated bulk) but still want something near top-of-the-line or close to it, my big closed choices for your genres are the T5p and Ultrasone Edition 8, which was already mentioned.

The T5p is a bit more analytical and has a better soundstage, whereas the ED8 is a more biased towards a "pop" sound and has some more bass. Both are insanely expensive for a first-timer, but if you really want to take the plunge there's nothing wrong with that.

Keeping it on a budget, however, the FA-003 and DT770 are my top choices, though if you're running them from an iPod both of them benefit greatly from a portable amp.

Ha ha, well I bet I'm not the only insane one on these boards when it comes to big purchases... :wink: I should have made it clear in my opening post this is for my home office and my main headphone set up so I have the MDAC to run it through, I'm looking for a set of cans I can live with happily for a good long time.

I have some Ultrasone HFI 780s but never got on with them, and they leak (I'm told). So maybe the T5p is the baby I should be saving up for...

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #14 of 14
I recommend the K550's.

The sound is very, very good.  I listen to them nightly as of late.

I'd stay away from velour earcups, because
they don't isolate as well as pleather/memory foam/etc..
Velour doesn't create an isolating "seal".

The K550's have a large soundstage for closed headphones,
which does well for classical.  Their sound signature is
well suited for jazz and classical as well.  And they're
very comfortable to wear even for several hours at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back