Closed Headphone Setup Under $1000?
Dec 24, 2012 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FatmanSize48

1000+ Head-Fier
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you head-fiers out there. I'm suffering from an acute case of upgraditis-for a closed, semi-portable (I'll explain that later) setup. Right now my top choice is the AKG K550, as they are purported to be (pretty much) a closed, improved K702 (I loved them for classical, but sold them anyway). Right now my transportable setup consists of an ALO Audio Pan Am, Passport (Battery), iPod Classic, and Audeze LCD-2s (en route). That setup is for both home and school use (if/when I have a big chunk of free time at school).

However, the need for a better mobile setup keeps on bugging me. I was using my iPod, RE262s (stolen by gypsies), and a Fiio E11 ($old), but now am using mere GR06s through my iPod. There is no doubt that the GR06s, while great for the price, are a huge step down in every aspect (well, except for the awesome cable) from the RE262s. But until I get customs (supposedly it's not a great idea to get them while under 18), I need a better mobile setup to hold myself over. I know that IEMs would be more convenient, but I as I don't mind lugging extra gear around, I might as well get some full sized cans.

I would mainly be using this setup while on the bus or in free time during the school day, so decent isolation and minimum leakage is a must. Well, leakage is particularly important (in high school at least) due to the fact that I listen to mainly classic rock and classical, and I don't need any more "What are you listening to!" moments. The current front runner is a pair of K550s, as seem pretty durable, damn near neutral, and have decent isolation. I would most likely get an ALO National amp to pair with it, as I think ALO's design is top notch and the warmer, tubey sound would make the K550s a bit more fun.

Eventually I will get myself a pair of Edition 8s, but not until I'm through high school, as I don't think I could bear having a pair of those stolen. If you have any questions that you'd like to ask so as to find a better match for me, I'm all game. Cheers, and I hope to hear from you all soon. 

Edit: I will use this setup for lots of classical (Romantic) and a decent amount of classic rock. 

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you head-fiers out there. I'm suffering from an acute case of upgraditis-for a closed, semi-portable (I'll explain that later) setup. Right now my top choice is the AKG K550, as they are purported to be (pretty much) a closed, improved K702 (I loved them for classical, but sold them anyway). Right now my transportable setup consists of an ALO Audio Pan Am, Passport (Battery), iPod Classic, and Audeze LCD-2s (en route). That setup is for both home and school use (if/when I have a big chunk of free time at school). However, the need for a better mobile setup keeps on bugging me. I was using my iPod, RE262s (stolen by gypsies), and a Fiio E11 ($old), but now am using mere GR06s through my iPod. There is no doubt that the GR06s, while great for the price, are a huge step down in every aspect (well, except for the awesome cable) from the RE262s. But until I get customs (supposedly it's not a great idea to get them while under 18), I need a better mobile setup to hold myself over. I know that IEMs would be more convenient, but I as I don't mind lugging extra gear around, I might as well get some full sized cans. I would mainly be using this setup while on the bus or in free time during the school day, so decent isolation and minimum leakage is a must. Well, leakage is particularly important (in high school at least) due to the fact that I listen to mainly classic rock and classical, and I don't need any more "What are you listening to!" moments. The current front runner is a pair of K550s, as seem pretty durable, damn near neutral, and have decent isolation. I would most likely get an ALO National amp to pair with it, as I think ALO's design is top notch and the warmer, tubey sound would make the K550s a bit more fun. Eventually I will get myself a pair of Edition 8s, but not until I'm through high school, as I don't think I could bear having a pair of those stolen. Oh, and I guess it's worth noting that I've listened to modded an unmodded T50RPs, and I'd rather...well...let's just stick away from them. If you have any questions that you'd like to ask so as to find a better match for me, I'm all game. Cheers, and I hope to hear from you all soon. 

Shure SE535 straight out your ipod.  They have superb sound quality, I enjoy them about as much as my edition 8.  They are very sensitive so won't need an amp, and you will strain to hear the difference between the dac in any new ipod vs. an expensive external dac.  So the savings in portable amp/dac can be put towards the iems, and you ALWAYS get more quality/$ if you invest in the best possible headphone.  Full-sized headphones don't block external sound nearly as well as iems, so the high noise/signal will dramatically reduce sound quality, making expensive closed headphone moot.  Only DT770 pro, HD25 and Edition 8 have serious sound blockage imo, but the first two are atrocious and the latter is so expensive and fragile that you should never wear them outside.

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, I'm going to get a better set of IEMs eventually, but for now my focus is on getting a good closed setup. 

@eucariote: The Shure 535s is definitely the perfect IEM for me. The only reason I don't have a pair now is because I just prefer using full sized headphones (for comfort). And yes, I have tried a good deal of tips, including olives and Comply, but they can't match the comfort of full sized cans. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 5
@MalVeauX: Thank you very much for pointing me towards the Mad Dogs! I've heard the T50RPs and was pretty impressed--I'll definitely look further into these. Quick question though: Any idea of the differences between the Dog Pads and SR007 pads? The Dog Pads seem to have only come out a few weeks ago, so I was just interested if you have had any experiences with them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back