Closed Headphone Recommendation $300 - $500 ($600 absolute max)
Nov 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Worth

Head-Fier
I'm looking to get a pair of closed headphones that are comfortable and have good isolation. My budget is preferably between $300 to $500, but I will stretch to $600 if there is a reason to do so. I listen to rock and metal the most, but there's nothing I really don't listen to some so I want whatever cans I get to be good all-rounders. I'm currently leaning towards either the Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, or Master and Dynamic Mh40s. Which of those would best suit me or is there something else I should consider instead?

Thanks, Worth

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 10
  I'm looking to get a pair of closed headphones that are comfortable and have good isolation. My budget is preferably between $300 to $500, but I will stretch to $600 if there is a reason to do so. I listen to rock and metal the most, but there's nothing I really don't listen to some so I want whatever cans I get to be good all-rounders. I'm currently leaning towards either the Mad Dogs, Alpha Dogs, or Master and Dynamic Mh40s. Which of those would best suit me or is there something else I should consider instead?

Thanks, Worth

My preferred headphones are the Audio Technica ATH-W1000X headphones ($450).
They are only 40-Ohm and easy to drive.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Do you want neutral or something fun? Are you basshead. You might want to consider beyerdynamic dt770's which you can probably go to guitar center and audition

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 10
Do you want neutral or something fun? Are you basshead. You might want to consider beyerdynamic dt770's which you can probably go to guitar center and audition

Something fun! I wouldn't say I'm a basshead; I would like the bass to be more than flat but without compromising treble or mids. I do not something bright sounding. Isolation and comfort are also very important to me because I want something I can use outside of my house.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #7 of 10
  Something fun! I wouldn't say I'm a basshead; I would like the bass to be more than flat but without compromising treble or mids. I do not something bright sounding. Isolation and comfort are also very important to me because I want something I can use outside of my house.

What headphones have you tried and liked so far?

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #9 of 10
I've decided I'm gonna get mrspeakers' Alpha Dogs. Trying to decide on an amp now

Not only do you get some great headphones but also a nice stand as well! 
As far as amp - what form factor - home use or portable on the go do you need and what price range are you looking at. Also do you have a big preference between tube or solid state? Also do you need a dac as well or a dac/amp combo?

Dec 10, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #10 of 10
  Not only do you get some great headphones but also a nice stand as well! 
As far as amp - what form factor - home use or portable on the go fo you need and what price range are you looking at. Also do you have a big preference between tube or solid state? Also do you need a dac as well or a dac/amp combo?

Portable amp only from $200-$300. I'm gonna get a dac/amp combo for home use later

Users who are viewing this thread

Back