Closed headphone for rock that has Grado's "in your face" sound?
Aug 11, 2011 at 2:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

davidvanderbilt

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a recommendation for a closed headphone under 300 dollars (or so) that is good for rock and has a very forward sound stage. I recently bought a pair of Grado SR 225i's and thought they were too "thin" sounding and lacked low end. However, I did like their upfront sound stage and presentation overall. There just seemed to be something missing. I have also tried Sennheiser HD 448s, Audiotechnica AT-M50s, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro-80 ohm version, Denon 1001s, and am currently trying Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, which I like, but it doesn't suit my taste for rock - the sound is too recessed in my opinion..

Does anyone have any suggestions? I heard that Sennheiser HD 25 1- II are good for rock and have the "on the stage" sound. I will be wearing these all day in the office and comfort and isolation will be important. I am also using the IBasso D4 mamba Amp/DAC so amplification should not be a problem. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks! Do you have any idea how these compare to the HFI 780s? I guess it's not always true that more expensive headphones sound better, but would it be better to get the HFI 780s?

Aug 11, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Heya,

Since you already tried the DT770 Pro 80, the HFI 580 may not be what you're looking for. The 780 is more refined and a little less bassy.

Did you like the SR225's a lot, but simply wanted more bass and comfort?

Check out SRH940, Denon D2000, DT880's.

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Did you like the SR225's a lot, but simply wanted more bass and comfort?

Quote:
I am looking for a recommendation for a closed headphone under 300 dollars (or so) that is good for rock and has a very forward sound stage. I recently bought a pair of Grado SR 225i's and thought they were too "thin" sounding and lacked low end. However, I did like their upfront sound stage and presentation overall.

Sounds like he'd like the HFI 580.

Quote:
Thanks! Do you have any idea how these compare to the HFI 780s? I guess it's not always true that more expensive headphones sound better, but would it be better to get the HFI 780s?

I think the 780 actually sound thin also...

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 7
Hey, I bought the HFI-680s for this, which are basically toned done 780s. Not bad, but they don't have that upper midrange that punches you in the face, they're a little too balanced.

Sounds like 580s are the ones to go for.

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #7 of 7

Quote:
Hey, I bought the HFI-680s for this, which are basically toned done 780s. Not bad, but they don't have that upper midrange that punches you in the face, they're a little too balanced.

Sounds like 580s are the ones to go for.

Great! I just ordered the HFI-580s and will be getting them tomorrow. I will let you guys know what I think! Thanks so much for the input!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back