Closed Headphone For $200 Budget
Oct 18, 2006 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Brohken

100+ Head-Fier
Trying to decide whether I should get a Shure E4 or a full sized set of cans. The reason I wanted IEM's was because they provide sound isolation.

Can you guys recommend a set of headphones for me?

Looking for:

1. Comfort - Non bulky design (remember this will be for all around use)
2. Isolation
3. Transparent Sound (my Grado SR60's sound great but give me a headache with prolonged use). Something I can wear for hours and hours on end with no "heavy head" feeling.
4. Good build quality.
5. Good sound quality across the spectrum.
6. All around use - Work/Home, Plane, Train, Street

I was looking at the Senn 595's but they seem to be for home use only.

Music I listen to:

1. Hip Hop
2. Classical
3. Electronica
4. Ambient Music

Other notes:

I'd like to be able to use these by themselves (with no amp) but if an amp improves the headphones performance I definately wouldn't mind getting that in ADDITION at a later date. Probably a portable amp of your guys suggestion.

THANKS!

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #4 of 7
I asked the same question to no luck, I guess sealed phones aren't too popular.

I listen to everything from stoner rock to classical, so I needed a flat headset that wasn't a one trick pony. After all my searching in the archives, I decided on the Beyer DT250-250s. I was really disapointed, bad quality control and they sound hazy.

Other ones that come up, and some perceptions I've read (but haven't heard) are Sen HD25-1 (good for hip hop but not really "flat"), Audio Technica A900 (bass can bloat, forgiving, big, comfy, good isolation, distant mids, better balance than DT770s), AKG 271 (light bass, sweet refined top, no harshness) and Ultrasone HFI-650 (strong deep bass, exciting and bright sound, can be thin/harsh).

I also own the Beyer DT770 and like it (better than the DT250) but it can sound harsh with cheap electronics. With good electronics, the mids are distant but it sounds very open, non fatiguing and comfy. Bass can sound really big, but always fun. I'm keeping mine. Not sure what I'm getting to compliment them, but I'm looking for the same attributes as you.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #5 of 7
i was going to suggest the dt250-250. i love mine, they remind me a little of etymotic er4s, but with a subwoofer attached. they do need an amp.

Oct 19, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #6 of 7
i'm in a similar situation... i though have no idea what a lot of this terminology as far as highs lows midrange really means but i've been looking at the senn 280pro's and from what i've read their versitile and very isolating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back